Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wait, so when you "meh'd" it in that thread, you hadn't even watched it yet?
I don't remember saying anything about Spider-Man 2 in that thread. But my feelings toward it had certainly been "meh" based on the first film.

I don't remember saying anything about Spider-Man 2 in that thread. But my feelings toward it had certainly been "meh" based on the first film.
Well you did, so I'm calling you out for your pointless negativity, Takoma!!!

WARNING: spoilers below
I am glad you liked Spider-Man 2, though!

Well you did, so I'm calling you out for your pointless negativity, Takoma!!!
You mean this post:

So far there are a few on here I haven't seen:

Still Walking has been on my watchlist for a while now. Ditto Werckmeister Harmonies .

I've been assured, as I said before, by people I trust who like the film that I wouldn't enjoy Devil's Rejects, which is something I already suspected. I didn't even enjoy watching the trailer for it when I worked at the video store (we played trailers all day, so I saw the trailer probably 5-6 times a day for two months).

Despite its accolades and reputation, I've just never been all that interested in Almost Famous. Though having recently watched and loved Say Anything, I find myself more willing to give it a shot.

I've literally had the DVD of Cache sitting on my TV stand for the last two months. It is from Netflix and I'm paying like $5 a month to have it here like what is wrong with me? (I suspect it will be sad so I keep just not watching it).

Amores Perros also looks sad. Yes, this is why I haven't watched most of the ones I haven't seen.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (say it with me everyone!) looks sad. I mean, of course it's sad. Even if it's a dark comedy.

Cast Away as I mentioned was just too saturated in pop culture for a while. I should watch it. Maybe.

Spider Man 2. Meh.
The post where I start by saying that these are my thoughts on movies I haven't seen?

I've seen both Say Anything and Almost Famous and I don't think there's much there to compare. SA is the better movie. Although I do like Patrick Fugit and take note of anything I see him in. As a matter of fact, forego AF and watch Wristcutters: A Love Story instead.

I've seen both Say Anything and Almost Famous and I don't think there's much there to compare. SA is the better movie. Although I do like Patrick Fugit and take note of anything I see him in. As a matter of fact, forego AF and watch Wristcutters: A Love Story instead.
almost famous is like one of my favorite 2000 movie

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Akira (1988) - Rewatch on 4K Blu-ray

Well, it's Akira. The movie's awesome with a UHD to match. This release is the best it's ever looked. Didn't think it was possible to top the 25th anniversary edition Blu-ray, but they pulled it off. It's really visible in the reds and blues. So the first UHD I watched on my new Sony UBP-X700 was a success story even on a 1080p TV. And with such an awesome film, it's hard not to enjoy it, and this is how I see myself viewing Akira for the foreseeable future. Can't wait to get a 4K TV and see how it looks on that setup.

I saw Wristcutters when it came out and liked it well enough. I watched the first 15 or so minutes of Almost Famous and was enjoying it, so I'll probably finish it sometime soon.

The Scary of Sixty-First 2021. Well, this was different. An unhinged film that is kind of all over the place. It has funny parts, but it is not always clear what is satirical and what is meant to be taken seriously. There are some WTF moments and the film is kind of trashy, kind of erotic, but feels somewhat exploitative. Acting is pretty bad and some of the dialogue is ridiculous. I can understand people absolutely hating this and I can understand people absolutely loving it. My rating is a

27th Hall of Fame (REWATCH)

Safety Last! (1923) -

When I first watched this film a few or however many years ago (it's hard to remember this stuff nowadays lol), it was among my favorite silent films. Given the somewhat mixed (or generally positive) reactions it received in this thread from a few posters, I was wondering whether I'd like it less this time around, but while I can understand some of the issues people have with it (the cat gag is definitely problematic and cruel), I found the film to be just as great as I remembered it being, more even. Unlike some other silent comedies I've seen (e.g. Chaplin), this film didn't move me or have much emotional resonance, but I don't think it needed it. Through a variety of cleverly-timed and well-executed gags, this film ranks among the most entertaining silent comedies I've seen. When I first watched it, I felt it dragged somewhat in the first couple acts, but that portion of the film fared much better for me this time around. Not only did I find more gags to enjoy, but I also enjoyed the punchlines at the ends of a few of them. For instance, after a customer has Lloyd bring out every piece of fabric he has on display to the counter, she says she likes the first one he showed her the most and only takes a small piece of it. Brilliant. The climbing sequence in the final act is easily the highlight of the film though. The obstacles Lloyd runs into throughout the climb are memorable and the cat and mouse chase his friend gets into along the way makes for an extra layer of suspense. I can see why the sequence is as iconic as it is. Since the strengths of the film revolve around the precision-timing and execution of its gags, I found that any attempts by the film to insert pathos into the mix fell flat for me (Lloyd imagining his girlfriend wearing a piece of jewelry or how he's not being able to buy any food after spending his entire paycheck). Fortunately though, these scenes are few and very far in between. Overall, I'm glad I got to revisit this film as it went up for me this viewing.

I just got back from seeing The Batman, and...

WARNING: spoilers below
I don't have quite as much to say about it as I was hoping I would, but that's not because I didn't like it; on the contrary, because I actually liked it quite a bit on the whole. Rather, my relative lack of thoughts is more a result of how familiar an experience the movie was at times, not just with the obvious inspiration it took from Nolan's Bat-trilogy (particular in a scene where another iconic Batbaddie broadcasts his sadistic hostage-taking), but also from David Fincher's murky "serial thrillers", and even the elaborate death traps of the Saw movies, which resulted in the film feeling more derivative than it should have, especially coming from a director as skilled as Matt Reeves has proven himself to be.

However, despite that, and the fact that its somewhat convoluted plot and nearly 3-hour runtime both could've done with a little bit of pruning, The Batman still succeeds as meaty, intelligent, and engaging blockbuster filmmaking throughout, the kind that's disappointingly uncommon in modern Hollywood, as Reeves fully showcases his knack for directing memorable, striking setpieces (particularly during a frantic escape scene from a police station), and fully leans into the rich iconography and symbolism that's made its central character such an enduring figure in pop culture, creating a moody, thrilling experience that ultimately proves to be (mostly) worth the afternoon I spent to watch it. And, while its creative choices can't help but keep it somewhat in the shadow of The Dark Knight, which still remains the franchise's high water mark to date, The Batman still manages to be the runner-up Batfilm for me for now, and a strong foundation to build higher upon for whenever the inevitable sequel comes out; let the cinematic battiness keep flowing, baby!

Final Score: 8.5

I forgot the opening line.

By The cover art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards or Newmarket Films., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29526477

Valka: Don't you know what "Stalin" means, funny man? Means man-of-steel. He takes from rich, and gives to poor.
Zoran: Yes, of course he does. Then he takes both of them, and puts them in Gulag for 25 years.
The Way Back - (2010)

This, the last film Peter Weir made, and one of only two he has made this century (the other being Master and Commander : The Far Side of the World) remained the only film of his I hadn't seen until last night. I was surprised that this box office flop had a 7.3/10 score on the IMDb, so it seemed worth seeking out and watching. All I can say is that it kind of sets a new standard for averageness. You won't feel that pissed off feeling like you've wasted your time when it finishes - you won't have better ideas than the filmmakers had, or immediately see the traps they fell into. Instead you'll see how marvelously competent everything is - without really being moved or excited. It follows a group of men (and later one woman) who escape Stalin's gulags and walk 1000s of miles through the U.S.S.R., then Mongolia, Nepal, China and India on an epic trek to freedom. They go through the usual terrible hardships, but while we get to know them a bit, there does seem to be a bit of distance between us and them even though there are sad stories told by them all. Colin Farrell's hard and low Russian gangster Valka is the most interesting out of them. Overall this is a film you can safely miss without blotting your impression of 21st Century cinematic artistry.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

THE BATMAN

About all I could ask for from a Batman adaptation. Finally, the titular character is placed front and center and fleshed out without sacrificing mystique. He, along with Gotham and everything else, feel plucked from the pages of a Miller, Brubaker or Loeb hard-boiled detective Bat story.

Cinematically, Fincher is the clear primary influence. The cat-and-mouse detective thriller set in the omnipresent raining city feel closely akin to Se7en, while Riddler is clearly modeled after Zodiac.

It’s gorgeous, ambitious, thrilling and finely acted. The score is the best superhero score since perhaps Burton’s Batman.

I loved it.

5/5

the batman
didnt like it much but loved andy serkis,zoe kravitz,colin farrell they did amazing job. robert pattison is okay but christian bale is always the better batman and wore my marvel shirt today also lol lucky i had dc fans respect me and i respect them

Also, here's my updated ranking of every movie I've seen starring or featuring Batman/Bruce Wayne, from best to worst, with the gap to seperate the ones I like from the ones I don't:

The Dark Knight
The Batman
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Joker

Zack Snyder's Justice League
Batman Forever
Justice League
Batman
Suicide Squad
Batman Vs. Superman
Batman & Robin

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Graffiti Bridge (Prince, 1990)
5/10
Sign 'o' the Times (Prince, 1987)
6/10
Romeo & Juliet Killers (Lindsay Hartley, 2022)
5/10
The Willmar 8 (Lee Grant, 1981)
6.5/10

Story of eight female employees of the Citizens National Bank in Willmar, Minnesota, USA who went on strike on December 16, 1977 over charges of sex discrimination.
Private Imaginings and Narrative Facts (Edward Owens, 2021)
4/10
Train Again (Peter Tscherkassky, 2021)
6.5/10
Big Gold Brick (Brian Petsos, 2022)
5/10
Family Squares AKA Shoot the Rooster (Stephanie Laing, 2022)
6/10

Several family secrets come to light when the matriarch (Jane Squibb) zooms them just before her death, and she "comes back" as part of the reading of her will with a few more messages she made before then.
Ladies' Man (Lothar Mendes, 1931)
5/10
The Desperate Hour AKA Lakewood (Phillip Noyce, 2021)
5.5/10
The Wolf Hour (Alistair Banks Griffin, 2019)
5/10
Against the Ice (Peter Flinth, 2022)
6/10

Captain Ejnar Mikkelsen (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and his engineer Iver Iversen (Joe Cole) are on a Denmark expedition in ice-covered Greenland when their ship leaves them behind and they're forced to spend two winters there with only their dogs.
The Devil Is Driving (Benjamin Stoloff, 1932)
5/10
The Twisted Image (Arthur Hiller, 1960)
6/10
The Furies (Tony D'Aquino, 2019)
5/10
The Bucket List (Rob Reiner, 2007)
+ 6/10

Intelligent, sensitive working class mechanic Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) and corporate billionaire Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson), both terminally ill from cancer, become fast friends and travel the world over in a bucket list.
The Weekend Away (Kim Farrant, 2022)
5/10
Blacklight (Mark Williams, 2022)
5,5/10
The Scary of Sixty-First (Dasha Nekrasova, 2021)
5/10
The Burning Sea (John Andreas Andersen, 2021)
6/10

When a North Sea oil rig goes down, researchers learn that a crack opened up in the ocean floor, and they also have to try to rescue some workers from the downed rig.