UKRAINE

Tools    

On this holy day of Ash Wednesday, I pray for the people of Ukraine. 🙏✝️

They need much more than prayers in Ukraine.

They need weapons, they need solidarity from the free world, they need to be immediately made a NATO member and then protected by NATO forces.

They need much more than prayers in Ukraine.

They need weapons, they need solidarity from the free world, they need to be immediately made a NATO member and then protected by NATO forces.
True, but all I can offer is prayers.

True, but all I can offer is prayers.
Oh I know and that's why I repped you. I have to say I'm very nervous about the Ukraine situation and I usually don't even pay much attention to stuff on the news. I keep thinking of this movie I watched literally a few days before the invasion.

I just wish we could roll back time & Putin hadn’t done anything he has subsequently done.

Tough topic that will no doubt, become political before too long....
On Reddit I read a Ukraine invasion thread and the moderators said: no injecting blame of either U.S. political party or current or past U.S. presidents into the convo and that's what we need to avoid here if this thread is to stay opened.

BTW thanks to Stirch for making this.

Isn't that officially Word War III?
As I see it, if the world lets a bully gobble up a sovereign nation, then Georgia will be next. That's how World War II started. Never let a bully, bully anyone or they will just keep doing it.

On Reddit I read a Ukraine invasion thread and the moderators said: no injecting blame of either U.S. political party or current or past U.S. presidents into the convo and that's what we need to avoid here if this thread is to stay opened.

BTW thanks to Stirch for making this.
Wish I didn’t need to.

It's weird because I almost went to Kyiv a few years ago with work at my former job, and I ended up having a panic attack the night before because I feared an attack or some Russian agent kidnapping me or something along those lines.

And now it's happening.

I want off this planet now!!!

Tents for people who have crossed the border from Ukraine into Moldova. A week ago they lived in their own places. Now they’re waiting for relatives to pick them up.

And why is the weather always so crap in these places.

Standard reminder about politics. I fear this topic is impossible to discuss without becoming overtly political, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Of course, general well wishes for those affected by the conflict and hopes for a fast and peaceful resolution are both fine, and I'll echo them. Here's hoping the coolest heads prevail.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I guess it would be "political" to state my old contempt and disgust for whoever ever praised and admired Putin for the kind of values he stands for (even if I don't point out their degree of overlap with the admirers of certain western leaders).

But damn were the internet flooded with Putin fanboys, a few years ago. And damn did they agree on a lot of seemingly unrelated things.

Tough topic that will no doubt, become political before too long.

Horrific all around.
It's a purely political topic and can't really be discussed without analyzing politics.

In the meantime, I'll just offer my support for the Ukrainian people. Nothing like this has been seen in Europe since WWII.

This may sound like a crazy idea, but I think the U.N. needs an air force comprised of a coalition of allied forces for such clear cut cases as this one, but with no one country leading the way - with planes that bear only the U.N. insignia, and with pilots who's national origins are kept secret.

They could obliterate Putin's convoy from above and establish a no fly zone.

As to Putin's threats - a U.N. force could say this is the united world stopping your unprovoked & genocidal attack of innocent civilians in a sovereign nation (that's 141 countries that voted to condemn your actions). If you choose to retaliate, then you're going to have to attack virtually the entire world - and if you attack even one more nation, then the arsenals of the entire world will be launched against you.

Standard reminder about politics. I fear this topic is impossible to discuss without becoming overtly political, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Of course, general well wishes for those affected by the conflict and hopes for a fast and peaceful resolution are both fine, and I'll echo them. Here's hoping the coolest heads prevail.
Yes, this is what I wished for this thread.

I was just thinking about my calico cat Looby Loo. If I had to transport her to another country during a war. She wouldn’t make it because she’s such a nervous high-strung cat. Amazed at these people fleeing a war & seemingly quite calmly taking their pets with them. I would be a complete wreck. And I didn’t even mention our cats outside that we take care of. We couldn’t transport them as the majority are not socialized.