The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Apocalypse Now (Theatrical Cut) -

This is as much of a milestone in movie history as it is in my own obsession with film. A movie that is just as compelling to watch as it is to study how Coppola and company made it, it inspired me to read Heart of Darkness, and the making-of documentary, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, is one of the few documentaries I've watched more than once. I've seen many other movies about the Vietnam War since I first watched Apocalypse Now many years ago and I may choose Full Metal Jacket over it if I were forced to choose a favorite. My opinion of it having legendary status and my admiration for what it asks about the war and how it is a black mark in America's history book still stands.

This viewing made me realize that Martin Sheen doesn't get enough credit for his performance as our guide in his journey to Hell, Willard. While he looks plain and is not particularly charismatic - one critique I've read described him as a milquetoast – these traits are more strength than drawback. They let me walk in his shoes more easily, and as frightening as his drunken episode in his hotel room may be, Sheen doesn't need it to convince us how traumatized and world-weary the war has made him. Speaking of his journey, I'm a fan of stories with simple overarching plots that string varied episodes together, and I approve of this movie's, which owes as much to The Odyssey and Alice in Wonderland as it does Heart of Darkness. Each episode provides a reason why America's involvement in the war was such a blunder, my favorite being the one with Kilgore and his fight for a good place to surf. While Francois Truffaut famously said, "you can't make an effective anti-war film because war by its nature is exciting," you could point to this episode’s masterfully edited helicopter attack sequence as a counterargument. I can see how some could find it exciting, but it fills me with - for lack of a better word - horror. It's also worth calling out how good the movie looks - Storaro's cinematography being a major factor - as well as how its transition from realistic to dreamlike is expertly gradual. What's more, it's amazing how funny the movie manages to be in spite of how deathly dark it is at its core. Frederic Forrest and Sam Bottoms' very different and human reactions to the journey provide much-needed relief, as does Hopper's court jester of a photojournalist.

While I cannot rate this less than 5 stars, I still have to call out something that still doesn't sit right with me and that's Brando's performance as Kurtz. Aside from hardly having a soldier's physique - he may have let himself go after setting himself up as a God, but it's doubtful he was there long enough to end up like he does - I've always felt that Hopper, Sheen, etc. are reacting to Brando's oddities and not Kurtz's. With that said, I've thought about other actors who could have pulled it off like Kirk Douglas, Gene Hackman, etc., but I cannot think of anyone better than Brando for the role. No Hollywood actor at the time or possibly ever has the required presence and mystique to pay off what Willard's narration builds up. Besides, Brando being a product of a lifetime in Hollywood, an organization that also has plenty to hide and be ashamed of, mirrors Kurtz being a product of a lifetime in the Vietnam-era U.S. military.

Like the best art, this is a movie I react differently to and that provides something new to obsess over every time I watch it. Before this viewing, my general reaction was similar to Roger Ebert's philosophical one in his Great Movies review, but it was much more political this go-around. There are consequences to countries adopting a hypocritical, "everything is fine" response to atrocities like the Vietnam War, and the longer they deny this lesson, the longer they will start fires that those like Willard will have to extinguish. With all of the whitewashing, rebranding, whatever you want to call it that is happening in recent times, this is clearly a difficult and/or expensive lesson to learn.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -

Before I start, I might as well address the "sleeping with underage women" bit which has been getting some controversy in this thread. After watching Jones' and Marion's first scene together, I definitely raised an eyebrow at the "You knew what you were doing" conversation, and after reading the transcript where Spielberg and Lucas intended for Marion to be 15 and for Jones to be 25 when they had their affair, that aspect of the film stuck out as problematic. Due to that (in addition to Jones being a colonist), I wasn't able to get invested in their friendship and eventual romance. If Jones' arc was of him redeeming himself throughout the film, that would be different, but he instead seemed to be portrayed as noble and charming all throughout.

So yeah, couldn't get invested in the characters this viewing. In spite of that, however, I still think this is a solid action film. It has some memorable action scenes (the opening), a couple terrific magical scenes (the God's wrath scene at the end is outstanding, in particular), and its fair share of humor here and there (Jones shooting the swordsman). Back when I was a kid, this film was everything for me. When I rewatched it a couple days ago, however, I found that the love I felt towards the film when I was a kid wore off. This isn't to say the film aged poorly per se (rather, I think the film aged great for the most part). It's just not my kind of film anymore and I'm no longer the target audience for it. Since I've watched a number of films like Battleship Potemkin, Zulu, The Wild Bunch, Apocalypse Now, Hard-Boiled, Saving Private Ryan, etc since then, which have action scenes that are far more engaging and technically outstanding, that may play a part in why my tastes have moved on. Who knows. Still though, I think this is a great gateway film and it would definitely be among my top recommendations for someone new to classic film.

Next Up: Safety Last!

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -

Before I start, I might as well address the "sleeping with underage women" bit which has been getting some controversy in this thread. After watching Jones' and Marion's first scene together, I definitely raised an eyebrow at the "You knew what you were doing" conversation, and after reading the transcript where Spielberg and Lucas intended for Marion to be 15 and for Jones to be 25 when they had their affair, that aspect of the film stuck out as problematic. Due to that (in addition to Jones being a colonist), I wasn't able to get invested in their friendship and eventual romance...
I want to ask you a question and I'm not trying to change your mind or anything like that.

I'm just curious how you have a problem with something that was discarded in a pre-script about an underage romance, that wasn't shown on screen and yet your own movie Midnight Cowboy has a man going homophobic and attacking and killing (off screen) a gay man. I just reread your review and you seem to have a positive reaction to the character played by Jon Voight, the man who killed a gay man out of homophobia....I just wonder how you resolve that as OK as far as the film goes?

BTW, I thought Midnight Cowboy was great and I voted it higher than my own movie Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I want to ask you a question and I'm not trying to change your mind or anything like that.

I'm just curious how you have a problem with something that was discarded in a pre-script about an underage romance, that wasn't shown on screen and yet your own movie Midnight Cowboy has a man going homophobic and attacking and killing (off screen) a gay man. I just reread your review and you seem to have a positive reaction to the character played by Jon Voight, the man who killed a gay man out of homophobia....I just wonder how you resolve that as OK as far as the film goes?

BTW, I thought Midnight Cowboy was great and I voted it higher than my own movie Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I think the difference between those two sub-plots is with the portrayal of the characters in each. In Midnight Cowboy, I didn't feel like the film was really defending or agreeing with the actions of Voight's character. He's an already troubled character who killed the man out of desperation in an attempt to save Hoffman's character. Then, when Hoffman asks him about it on the bus rude, Voight is reluctant to talk about it, as if he regrets his actions. I didn't feel like I was asked to support his character during that scene. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, seeing the opening scene and Jones' initial confrontation with Marion seems to paint him as immoral as well, but the more I watched the film, the more he seemed to be portrayed as noble and charming. While Indy's flaws are left out in the open, I think the film tries to have it both ways.

I would just point out that one very obvious difference is that Raiders endorses the relationship between the two leads (even framing it as her needing to get over her problems with Indiana and falling for him), while Midnight Cowboy never pretends that the homophobic violence is anything but disturbing, excessive, and a reaction to the main character's past sexual assault. I think that Voight's character is sympathetic, but not for a minute did the film endorse or approve of his violence. It is a miserable extension of his own misery.

I'd also argue that the underage romance wasn't necessarily discarded, just made subtext instead of text. She says "I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it." He replies "You knew what you were doing." (And abusers telling victims "You knew what you were doing" or "It was what you wanted" is definitely a thing. ""Basically they said it was my fault," he said. "Honest to God, they said it was my fault that that priest abused me - that I let him do it. And that was the end of it. I was flabbergasted. They said, 'You were 16 years old at the time. You knew what you were doing.'")

I think the difference between those two sub-plots is with the portrayal of the characters in each. In Midnight Cowboy, I didn't feel like the film was really defending or agreeing with the actions of Voight's character. He's an already troubled character who killed the man out of desperation in an attempt to save Hoffman's character. Then, when Hoffman asks him about it on the bus rude, Voight is reluctant to talk about it, as if he regrets his actions. I didn't feel like I was asked to support his character during that scene.
I can understand that...thanks for explaining.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, seeing the opening scene and Jones' initial confrontation with Marion seems to paint him as immoral as well, but the more I watched the film, the more he seemed to be portrayed as noble and charming. While Indy's flaws are left out in the open, I think the film tries to have it both ways.
I perceived Indy to be a bit of a rogue or a cad. I think we see his less than shiny noble behavior when he shoots the Arab with the sword which isn't exactly sportsmanship like...and in his ever present smirky smile and in other things he does as well. I'm not saying that's the ultimate truth of Indy, there is no ultimate truth...I'm saying that's how I perceived him. I liked his character myself.

I would just point out that one very obvious difference is that Raiders endorses the relationship between the two leads (even framing it as her needing to get over her problems with Indiana and falling for him), while Midnight Cowboy never pretends that the homophobic violence is anything but disturbing, excessive, and a reaction to the main character's past sexual assault. I think that Voight's character is sympathetic, but not for a minute did the film endorse or approve of his violence. It is a miserable extension of his own misery.

I'd also argue that the underage romance wasn't necessarily discarded, just made subtext instead of text. She says "I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it." He replies "You knew what you were doing." (And abusers telling victims "You knew what you were doing" or "It was what you wanted" is definitely a thing. ""Basically they said it was my fault," he said. "Honest to God, they said it was my fault that that priest abused me - that I let him do it. And that was the end of it. I was flabbergasted. They said, 'You were 16 years old at the time. You knew what you were doing.'")
OK thanks, but I'm not into arguing viewpoints much these days as one person's opinion is their own truth. That's why I asked SpelingError and said I wasn't trying to change his mind or anything, as I was just curious as to how he viewed it. To me the individual though process that we all use to arrive at our opinions is more interesting than the usual back and forth debating stuff (I'm not saying you specifically are debating my opinion.)

Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
IMDb

Date Watched: 2/28/2022
Rewatch: Yes.

I have kind of mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I can understand how audiences in 1975 might've found it terrifying, given the limits of practical/special effects at the time. But on the other hand this movie is 6 years older than I am and I first watched it in 2014. To say the least, its effects appear very dated and not at all convincing - so much so that every time a person is attacked, it's downright comical. The intercut scenes of actual great white sharks do nothing to help this despite efforts to hide the obvious size difference between them and the mechanical shark. That said though, I did enjoy the interaction between Brody, Quint, and Hooper aboard the Orca and found the movie to be pretty entertaining overall.

I can understand that...thanks for explaining.

I perceived Indy to be a bit of a rogue or a cad. I think we see his less than shiny noble behavior when he shoots the Arab with the sword which isn't exactly sportsmanship like...and in his ever present smirky smile and in other things he does as well. I'm not saying that's the ultimate truth of Indy, there is no ultimate truth...I'm saying that's how I perceived him. I liked his character myself.
I'm not saying that Jones never does any unlikable things throughout the film. In addition to shooting the swordsman, he's a colonist, there's the aforementioned backstory between him and Marion, and he also burns a group of snakes alive. I felt there was a disconnect between these scenes though and Ford's portrayal of the character. It seemed like what the film wanted us to takeaway from Jones was that he was noble for fighting the Nazi's and charming since Marion eventually got over the past conflict she had with him and fell in love with him.

I think we see his less than shiny noble behavior when he shoots the Arab with the sword which isn't exactly sportsmanship like.
To be fair, that scene wasn't in the original script and had to be improvised due to unforeseen circumstances:

We were shooting in Tunisia, and the script had a scene in which I fight a swordsman, an expert swordsman, it was meant to be the ultimate duel between sword and whip. And I was suffering from dysentery, really, found it inconvenient to be out of my trailer for more than 10 minutes at a time. We'd done a brief rehearsal of the scene the night before we were meant to shoot it, and both Steve and I realized it would take 2 or 3 days to shoot this. And it was the last thing we were meant to shoot in Tunisia before we left to shoot in England. And the scene before this in the film included a whip fight against 5 bad guys that were trying to kidnap Marian, so I thought it was a bit redundant. I was puzzling how to get out of this 3 days of shooting, so when I got to set I proposed to Steven that we just shoot the son a bitch and Steve said "I was thinking that as well." So he drew his sword, the poor guy was a wonderful British stuntman who had practiced his sword skills for months in order to do this job, and was quite surprised by the idea that we would dispatch him in 5 minutes. But he flourished his sword, I pulled out my gun and shot him, and then we went back to England.

...he's a colonist...
I don't have the greatest memory for movie details, I'm sure you're right that he's a colonist, but at the risk of me sounding daff What is a colonist? (in regards to the film). I thought he was a college professor who taught archeology.

I don't have the greatest memory for movie details, I'm sure you're right that he's a colonist, but at the risk of me sounding daff What is a colonist? (in regards to the film). I thought he was a college professor who taught archeology.
Colonialism is different forms of control over people in other areas or regions. In the context of the film, however, it refers to how Jones steals cultural artifacts of indigenous people to bring back to his country. The opening is a key example of this.

Colonialism is different forms of control over people in other areas or regions. In the context of the film, however, it refers to how Jones steals cultural artifacts of indigenous people to bring back to his country. The opening is a key example of this.
That never dawned on me, thanks for explaining.

Sorry I've been absent, one of my dogs is dealing with a health issue and I can't focus on anything else. The doctor thinks he'll be better in a week or 2 and then I'll be back in action.

Sorry I've been absent, one of my dogs is dealing with a health issue and I can't focus on anything else. The doctor thinks he'll be better in a week or 2 and then I'll be back in action.
Sorry to hear that. Hope doggy feels better soon. Sending positive thoughts and love.

Best wishes for your dog Hope all goes well.

Best wishes for your dog

Take your time. I hope he feels better soon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Everyone gets everything he wants.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Apocalypse Now Redux (1979)

It is said that the very idea of War is, in itself, insanity. To the mind, the heart, to the very core of one's soul.
To inflict horror, murder, for the supposed Greater Good? WTF?

To experience the nightmare from the mindset of said insanity. We embark on a sojourn of contradictions and absurdities that only a nightmare could fathom.
Francis Ford Coppola's visually hallucinogenic demonstration kicks in from the very opening of slow whirring choppers, jungles exploding and the upside-down close-up of Martin Sheen's character, accompanied by The Doors' "The End." To the actions of all involved and the continual narration, charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500. as well as Brando's dialogues We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "f@ck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!

An added layer of authenticity is how Coppola's vision of chaos and insanity birthed from the chaos and insanity of the filming process itself.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen the Redux version, and I'm kinda glad I did. It had been a solid twenty years since I viewed the Theatrical performance and had tripped along with the characters themselves in my earlier daze. So I am unsure exactly what was added beyond, I believe, the French Plantation, which some may think bogs things down; it, for me, was an informational perspective other than the usual U.S. mentality and a minor history lesson regarding the French's occupation of Indochina. I do know that much of the chaotic mess that I remember from the Theatrical version seemed to be explored more fully in this Director's Cut.

Also, with my life and film experience, I found a deeper appreciation of the cinematic symbolism exhibited in both cerebral and visceral formats, as well as Vittorio Storaro's Award-winning Cinematography. Which -- OH MY GOD! WOW!!