Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By http://impawards.com/2006/feast.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6359079

Feast - (2005)

I've never seen an episode of Project Greenlight - a show where wanna-be filmmakers send in scripts and a first-time director can win a chance to make a movie. The director for season 3 was John Gulager and the winning screenplay was for this film - Feast, which went on to completely underwhelm me in every aspect. This horror film has a strong slant towards comedy, and the humour for the most part is a little off - it's not bad enough to make you cringe, but it's not funny enough to really be enjoyable. The creatures are seldom seen, to the point where I'm still a little fuzzy on what they exactly looked like. Much of the action takes place in a bar where a bunch of people have barricaded all the doors and windows - and conflict takes place mostly between the humans in this story. Where in Night of the Living Dead this was clever and interesting, in Feast it's sloppy with most of the aggression just making the characters obnoxious. It manages to deliver a few moments of gory fun - but other than that it's a mess.

4/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Woman Who Ran (Hong Sang-soo, 2020)
5/10
I Want You Back (Jason Orley, 2022)
6-/10
Ambush (Sam Wood, 1950)
+ 5/10
Attica (Traci Curry & Stanley Nelson, 2021)
7/10

The 1971 Attica Prison riot in all its detail through newsreel footage, TV broadcasts, modern interviews, unknown info at the time, etc., paints a noteworthy depiction of the U.S. at the time.
The Outriders (Roy Rowland, 1950)
+ 5/10
The Other Me (Giga Agladze, 2022)
5.5/10
Ascension (Jessica Kingdon, 2021)
6.5/10
Bigbug (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2022)
6/10

In the near future, household robots help protect their humans when an android rebellion begins.
The In Between (Arie Posin, 2022)
6/10
Stoker Hills (Benjamin Louis, 2020)
5/10
Cry Macho (Clint Eastwood, 2021)
6/10
Nevada Smith (Henry Hathaway, 1966)
6.5/10

Seeking revenge on the murderers of his parents, uneducated halfbreed Max Sand (Steve McQueen) trains with wise Jonas Cord (Brian Keith).
Revenge of the Creature (Jack Arnold, 1955)
5/10
Marry Me (Kat Coiro, 2022)
6/10
Those Who Walk Away (Robert Rippberger, 2022)
5/10
The Sky Is Everywhere (Josephine Decker, 2022)
6/10

When her sister suddenly dies, teenager Grace Kaufman goes into severe depression but feels briefly exhilarated by a new student.
Damon's Revenge (David Gere, 2022)
5/10
The Reunion (Phil Harding [Phil Donlon], 2022)
6/10
The Long Night AKA The Coven (Rich Ragsdale, 2022)
+ 4.5/10
Hail!, Mafia (Raoul Lévy, 1965)
6/10

Complicated mob hitman saga with Henry Silva and Jack Klugman going after Eddie Constantine for ruining Klugman's sister in more ways than one.

Victim of The Night

By http://impawards.com/2006/feast.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6359079

Feast - (2005)

I've never seen an episode of Project Greenlight - a show where wanna-be filmmakers send in scripts and a first-time director can win a chance to make a movie. The director for season 3 was John Gulager and the winning screenplay was for this film - Feast, which went on to completely underwhelm me in every aspect. This horror film has a strong slant towards comedy, and the humour for the most part is a little off - it's not bad enough to make you cringe, but it's not funny enough to really be enjoyable. The creatures are seldom seen, to the point where I'm still a little fuzzy on what they exactly looked like. Much of the action takes place in a bar where a bunch of people have barricaded all the doors and windows - and conflict takes place mostly between the humans in this story. Where in Night of the Living Dead this was clever and interesting, in Feast it's sloppy with most of the aggression just making the characters obnoxious. It manages to deliver a few moments of gory fun - but other than that it's a mess.

4/10
Oh wow.
I really enjoy that movie.

Never seen this before. Skipped through the musical bits (I hate musicals), but enjoyed the rest. Björk was really excellent in a very depressing rôle.

Oh wow.
I really enjoy that movie.
Same here. I thought it did what it set out to do. Which is provide some good atmosphere and dread. I have a weakness for these types of claustrophobic thrillers where groups of disparate people are trapped together in dicey situations. Legion, Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight, Assault on Precinct 13, hell even something like Devil had it's moments.

I have a weakness for these types of claustrophobic thrillers where groups of disparate people are trapped together in dicey situations.
I watched one on Shudder this weekend called Blood Vessel. While it's far from great, it fits this description. In this case it's a lifeboat full of shipwreck survivors that come upon an abandoned Nazi ship that's overrun with vampires.
If you can get past the one Australian actor's excruciating attempt at a New York accent, it's trashy fun. But not "good", you understand.

I watched one on Shudder this weekend called Blood Vessel. While it's far from great, it fits this description. In this case it's a lifeboat full of shipwreck survivors that come upon an abandoned Nazi ship that's overrun with vampires.
If you can get past the one Australian actor's excruciating attempt at a New York accent, it's trashy fun. But not "good", you understand.
That actually does sound pretty good. While reading your description I thought I had seen the trailer before remembering that I was thinking of Blood Red Sky. That's vampires on a plane though.

I've been wanting to upgrade to Shudder for months now. It seems that every time I delve into the "other movies like this" recommendations and run across a horror flick I'd like to watch it's running specifically on Shudder.

That's vampires on a plane though.
LOL

As long as Shudder remains at its current price I think it's worth it. I'll watch 2-3 films per month on average. But I wouldn't join it on Blood Vessel's account.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

A Colt is my Passport aka Koruto wa ore no pasupooto (1967)
+++ Influenced by French New Wave and Spaghetti Westerns creating a unique and VERY gratifying cinematic experience.

With the title and premise of a Hitman paid to kill a competitive mob boss only to have both gangs go after him, one would expect a lot of shooting, killing, and harrowing chases.
Or so I expected, and when it wasn't, I discovered something far more insightful with a greater resonance that hit on so many nuanced levels.

With the two influences mentioned above and the poetic philosophy of Japanese filmmaking, I was more than just a little impressed with how everything was brought together with such sublime artistry.
Firstly, the spaghetti western homage that included a soundtrack used sparingly at just the right moments, and the remainder was sans music worked beautifully.
The dialogue is thoughtful and introspective, the composition and storytelling are composed and layered with fine acting done throughout.
Also, for such a premise, this is a more strategically oriented film where gunfire and violence are more sparingly used and thus far more effective.

A thinking man's gangster film with western undertones and a French New Wave sense of Style, and retaining the Poetry of Japanese cinema blended so f@cking IMPRESSIVELY!

Victim of The Night
I've been wanting to upgrade to Shudder for months now. It seems that every time I delve into the "other movies like this" recommendations and run across a horror flick I'd like to watch it's running specifically on Shudder.
I finally caved in and got it full time, instead of just in October, and I have not been sorry. I use that and HBOMax most of the time and then rarely I'll watch something on another service.

Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror, 2019

This documentary, featuring a range of directors, actors, and academics explores the history of Black characters and creators in the horror genre.

I really enjoyed this a lot, and that's mainly down to just how engaging the set-up and speakers are. The interviewees---with just one or two exceptions--are filmed in a theater in groups of two. The interviews are highly conversational, and the various presenters do a great job of mixing their own personal experiences with a broader historical sense of the significance of different films.

The speakers talk about the historical dearth of Black characters---and specifically Black-led films---and that's really hammered home by the fact that (1) There are not a ton of people being interviewed and (2) That moderate-sized group manages to cover a LOT of the bases. Tony Todd is on hand, as is Keith David. There are representatives from Bones, Tales from the Hood, and even Blacula.

The combination of the personal and the academic is really expertly done, and the various interviewees are so fun to listen to. Even as they cover some very heavy topics---such as the resonance of the killing of Black characters by white mobs in different films--they never let it feel anything like a misery slog. This is a look at deep questions about representation and belonging delivered with just the right mix of depth and humor.

The final conversation in the film is about Jordan Peele's Get Out, and I thought it was a powerful way to end the film. For starters, one of the interviewee's observes just how incredibly rare it is for an audience to root for a Black lead in a horror film. But their discussion of the ending of the film really brought me back to my own experience seeing the movie in the film, and the dread I felt when
WARNING: spoilers below
those police lights appeared
. The discussion of the ending of Get Out also highlights the tricky positions that creators are in when they are featuring a group that is underrepresented: do you aim for realism, or do you do something aspirational? That tension seems to underlie a lot of the films they discuss.

It was also just interesting to note my own feelings as the interviewees offered critiques of films I personally love---like Candyman. It can be hard to get past an initial defensiveness, but I think that the people being interviewed do a great job of giving the context for their interpretations and reactions to the films. It felt like a very accessible way to be challenged on some of my own interpretations and reactions and to think about how certain films might look from a different point of view.

Definitely worth it if you're a horror fan, and honestly such an engaging group of creators that it's probably also well worth it for even a casual horror fan or just someone who is interested in the history of cinema.

Victim of The Night

This documentary, featuring a range of directors, actors, and academics explores the history of Black characters and creators in the horror genre.

I really enjoyed this a lot, and that's mainly down to just how engaging the set-up and speakers are. The interviewees---with just one or two exceptions--are filmed in a theater in groups of two. The interviews are highly conversational, and the various presenters do a great job of mixing their own personal experiences with a broader historical sense of the significance of different films.

The speakers talk about the historical dearth of Black characters---and specifically Black-led films---and that's really hammered home by the fact that (1) There are not a ton of people being interviewed and (2) That moderate-sized group manages to cover a LOT of the bases. Tony Todd is on hand, as is Keith David. There are representatives from Bones, Tales from the Hood, and even Blacula.

The combination of the personal and the academic is really expertly done, and the various interviewees are so fun to listen to. Even as they cover some very heavy topics---such as the resonance of the killing of Black characters by white mobs in different films--they never let it feel anything like a misery slog. This is a look at deep questions about representation and belonging delivered with just the right mix of depth and humor.

The final conversation in the film is about Jordan Peele's Get Out, and I thought it was a powerful way to end the film. For starters, one of the interviewee's observes just how incredibly rare it is for an audience to root for a Black lead in a horror film. But their discussion of the ending of the film really brought me back to my own experience seeing the movie in the film, and the dread I felt when
. The discussion of the ending of Get Out also highlights the tricky positions that creators are in when they are featuring a group that is underrepresented: do you aim for realism, or do you do something aspirational? That tension seems to underlie a lot of the films they discuss.

It was also just interesting to note my own feelings as the interviewees offered critiques of films I personally love---like Candyman. It can be hard to get past an initial defensiveness, but I think that the people being interviewed do a great job of giving the context for their interpretations and reactions to the films. It felt like a very accessible way to be challenged on some of my own interpretations and reactions and to think about how certain films might look from a different point of view.

Definitely worth it if you're a horror fan, and honestly such an engaging group of creators that it's probably also well worth it for even a casual horror fan or just someone who is interested in the history of cinema.

I'm looking forward to this.
I have to say, I'm heartbroken that my lengthy dissertation on all themes I felt I saw in Candyman, some with regard to a woman fighting for a place in a man's world that is characterized by ambition (Academia), but as much with regard to its commentary on cultural appropriation, was lost to the death of Corri, because I'd love to read how it's all specifically turned on its ear by hearing from black speakers on the film. I'm sure I'll remember a lot of what I felt when I watch this, but it would be nice to be able to refer back to those thoughts.

My main criticism of this film was its brevity and how I’d rather it have been a Burns-esque deep dive but I suppose wanting more of a thing is about as high of a compliment as anything.

Also, when Ken Foree and Keith David are saying “offer us roles! We’re still here” may have actually been the genesis of my script The Lonely. But such things are too nebulous to say for certain.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Paradise Now (2005)

very deep and moving, and the only israel/palestine conflict movie i have ever seen.

Sounds like a good movie, I'll try to find it on Comcast. To me, this is the most important issue in the world... but probably the most ignored, and most distorted.

If you liked this movie, you might like the movie he made right before - "Rana's Wedding".

Duplicate Account (locked)
Sounds like a good movie, I'll try to find it on Comcast. To me, this is the most important issue in the world... but probably the most ignored, and most distorted.

If you liked this movie, you might like the movie he made right before - "Rana's Wedding".

it is quite important, for me the most important one is the deforestation and ocean plastic. They're all related though.

I Am a Ghost (2012). Watched on Shudder. Very interesting twist on the typical ghost story. Instead of focusing on the living, this film focuses on the ghost. I thought it was very well done and had some cool moments. My rating is a