Dr. Death Proof's 80's Flick Extravanganza and Shenanigans

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
The Fog (1980)

"Fog bank. There's no fog bank out there.

Hey, there's a fog bank out there."

The Fog is what happens when a brilliant director makes a low-budget horror movie that looks like it had ten times the budget. Using a great cast and a few tricks up his sleeve, Carpenter takes what could easily be a bad made-for-SyFy movie and makes it a horror classic. Shot in anamorphic widescreen Panavision, it gives the impression that this is a bigger movie that it really is.

The town of Antonio Bay is about to celebrate its 100th anniversary. But during the "witching hour" paranormal events begin to plague the town. Glass breaks, mirrors fall, and out on the bay itself, three fishermen are murdered by unseen assailants. In the meantime, Father Malone finds his grandfather's diary. The founders of Antonio Bay had conspired against a wealthy leper to prevent his forming a leper colony near them by purposely causing his ship to be dashed against the rocks, then stealing his gold to found their town.

As the centennial draws close, more paranormal events occur as the denizens of the town try to avoid getting murdered by leper ghosts. And then Tom Atkins whips out his massive dick and saves the day.

The Fog was directed by John Carpenter and co-written by Carpenter and Debra Hill. (who wrote Halloween, and was from Haddonfield, NJ not far from where I live)

Although made for a budget of a little over $1 million, The Fog boasts good special effects, a big movie feel with its Panavision and a great cast in Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Adrienne Barbeau and her twins, Hal Holbrook, Janet Leigh, and John Houseman. Special effects whiz Rob Bottin wears the Blake costume and Carpenter himself appears briefly as the priest's assistant, Bennett.

It's unfortunate that Carpenter doesn't make movies like this any more. But after his career, my man pretty much wants to sit around smoking weed and playing progressive jazz. Can't say I blame him.

8 seagulls out of 10
I actually love The Fog enough that it is now one of only two movies I watch every October.

random childhood memory:

At the theater circa 1980 and upon seeing the poster for Final Countdown, expressed my interest in said film. Father replies that I'll probably find it boring. 40+ years later I still haven't seen it.

The trick is not minding
I’m also not a big fan of The Fog. It’s ok, and had nice effects. The fog is always creepy. But it’s firmly lesser Carpenter for me.

Still loads better than the remake, however.

The trick is not minding
random childhood memory:

At the theater circa 1980 and upon seeing the poster for Final Countdown, expressed my interest in said film. Father replies that I'll probably find it boring. 40+ years later I still haven't seen it.
What did you end up watching instead?

What did you end up watching instead?
Good question. We might've been there to see Empire or Superman II or something. So when I saw the Final Countdown poster it was more of a "hey can we come see this next week" kind of thing.

I owe The Fog another viewing but did rewatch Escape From New York recently, and there's a movie that looks a lot bigger than its actual budget. Apparently the trick to doing a dystopian hellhole prison colony on the cheap is to shoot in St. Louis.

The trick is not minding
Good question. We might've been there to see Empire or Superman II or something. So when I saw the Final Countdown poster it was more of a "hey can we come see this next week" kind of thing.
Empire Strikes Back is my earliest memory at the cinema. But I’m pretty sure it was a re release in 1982, as I was far too young to remember anything in 1980 (3) as opposed to 1982 (5). Unless it had a release in 1983.
Most of my early memories at the cinema start at 1984 (7). Man that was a time.

Aw man, you guys have cool first movies. My first was Johnny English when I was 11. My folks didn't take us to the movies all that much when I was a kid, but wanted to make the trip to see Rowan Atkinson.

Victim of The Night
Mine was Fantasia or Star Wars, at the Sena Mall.
I can't remember which one.

The trick is not minding
Aw man, you guys have cool first movies. My first was Johnny English when I was 11. My folks didn't take us to the movies all that much when I was a kid, but wanted to make the trip to see Rowan Atkinson.
I use to ride my bike to the local cinema in Tallahassee, Florida often. Or I would get dropped off by my mom.
I still have memories of seeing The Gate, Aliens, Ghostbusters 2, hear no Evil See No Evil, Back to the Future part 2 &3, Friday the 13th part 8 and so on. What I couldn’t see in the theaters I would rent every weekend. So much horror and sci fi films from that period.

Empire Strikes Back is my earliest memory at the cinema. But I’m pretty sure it was a re release in 1982, as I was far too young to remember anything in 1980 (3) as opposed to 1982 (5). Unless it had a release in 1983.
Most of my early memories at the cinema start at 1984 (7). Man that was a time.
I have a vivid memory of going to see a since-forgotten movie and being confronted with the Empire trailer. I would've been 8 or so, and despite living and breathing Star Wars it had never occurred to me that there was GONNA BE ANOTHER ONE!! OMGGGGG!! DARTH VADER'S STILL ALIVE??!?!? WHAT??

I miss the days when you didn't know every step of a movie's production for years in advance. You learned about a movie's existence literally weeks before it was released.

Victim of The Night
Okay, fine. Let's make a deal. I'll say that The Fog is great if you say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is great. Deal?
Ouch.

I'm not in love with either, but I'd much rather rewatch The Fog than Cuckoo's Nest. Blame it on Jamie Lee.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
what was stuntman mike eating at the bar before he picked up the dirty blonde ?

Nacho grande platter

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140