The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Yeah, I know. I'm quoting my own review.
I was just curious about what others think about the Elvis Presley parts of the movie. Benefit? Strength? Just plain weird? Again, besides going to Graceland many years ago, I don't know much about him, but another issue I have with them I didn't mention in my review is that while he served in the military, he seemed like a pretty peace-loving dude in real life.
I liked the references to Elvis. I felt it added to the film and gave it a little more character.

I was just curious about what others think about the Elvis Presley parts of the movie. Benefit? Strength? Just plain weird?
Just weird, because it's underutilized. We see the delusion early in the film, but then he doesn't appear again until the end. If Elvis was appearing to Clarence on a consistent basis, directly influencing his decision-making, then it would be perfectly fine. But as it is, it just seems random.

Yeah, I know. I'm quoting my own review.
I was just curious about what others think about the Elvis Presley parts of the movie. Benefit? Strength? Just plain weird? Again, besides going to Graceland many years ago, I don't know much about him, but another issue I have with them I didn't mention in my review is that while he served in the military, he seemed like a pretty peace-loving dude in real life.
Very contrived, in my opinion.

First of all, the whole "If I HAD to sleep with a man," just makes him sound like a homophobic weirdo.

And then him randomly popping up twice as some sort of, I don't know, internal monologue? Imaginary friend?

It felt pretty half-baked to me. It either should have been more present in the script or cut, IMO.

Agree with Cosmic & Takoma.

According to IMDB, QT said it's his most autobiographical movie, so I can only assume it's a nod to his acting breakthrough as an Elvis impersonator on Golden Girls, maybe?

Here it is in case you haven't seen it already:

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I watched Baby Face yesterday, but haven't been in the mood to sit down and write anything. I did like the film, but no words are really coming to me to describe it.

It might be because I'm kind of exhausted after having to work all weekend doing inventory, so hopefully the brain fog clears up once I get some rest, and get back on my regular schedule.
I know that feeling.
Get some rest and take care

First of all, the whole "If I HAD to sleep with a man," just makes him sound like a homophobic weirdo.
Not talking about the context of the conversation, but I think that's a lot closer to normal than being homophobic. Somebody that's homophobic would never even entertain the idea or think to say something like that.

Not talking about the context of the conversation, but I think that's a lot closer to normal than being homophobic. Somebody that's homophobic would never even entertain the idea or think to say something like that.
not to hijack this convo but nobody thinks or talks about gay stuff more than the phobes.

not to hijack this convo but nobody thinks or talks about gay stuff more than the phobes.
Then you haven't heard a lot of guys talk unfiltered. It's so common it's beyond normal. It's everyday talk. Normal guys can talk and joke that way because they are confident in their own sexuality.

Then you haven't heard a lot of guys talk unfiltered. It's so common it's beyond normal. It's everyday talk. Normal guys can talk and joke that way because they are confident in their own sexuality.
yes these are the phobes i'm referring to.

I always felt that Elvis was that Inner Monologue that we all go through when trying to attain a kind of compass on what to do and whether or not to do something and it reminded me of the old Happy Days sitcom when Fonzie would talk to a poster of James Dean(?) so it wasn't weird and that it only occurred when something very very serious was going down to help muster his determination kept it from looking like it was "voices" telling him what to do.

I always felt that Elvis was that Inner Monologue that we all go through when trying to attain a kind of compass on what to do and whether or not to do something and it reminded me of the old Happy Days sitcom when Fonzie would talk to a poster of James Dean(?) so it wasn't weird and that it only occurred when something very very serious was going down to help muster his determination kept it from looking like it was "voices" telling him what to do.
Right on

So normal guys are phobes? What an unfortunate way to see things.
yeah i'd say being homophobic/transphobic is still the normal stance for most straight/cis people. i don't think that's a crazy assertation.

I got to side with cricket, just because you're not into something doesn't instantly make you terrified/hateful, albeit a phobe about it. Hate, and outward aggression out of ignorance, and/or insecurity is being a phobe.

yeah i'd say being homophobic/transphobic is still the normal stance for most straight/cis people. i don't think that's a crazy assertation.
And that is the other side of the narrow-minded coin. To generalize any specific group or belief and to broadcast that narrow view is wrong.
You sort of hate an action that you yourself just admitted to doing.

Acceptance of ourselves and respecting the diversities of others is more the way to go than to paint little ugly stigmas and insist that this group or that group is nothing more than that isn't how to live.

My original point is that I don't think a homophobic guy would even joke about sleeping with another guy. A healthy minded and secure person should be able to say just about anything, at least to the right audience. I don't know how you would arrive at this idea. So if a guy is not homophobic, they wouldn't talk or joke about certain things? I don't follow the logic, but rather I think that some people just have different sensitivity levels. Not to mention, it's yet another example on this forum of judging people based on very little.

True Romance

Once a top 5 favorite, I was very curious how much I'd enjoy this after not seeing it for several years. It's fallen a little but it was still pretty awesome. I now tend to prefer movies that I can relate to or that make me feel something. At this point I'd call True Romance an excellent entertainment piece.

I used to lend my DVD of this out all the time way back when it wasn't so well known. People would always be surprised when it wasn't a standard love story because of the title. I got a little chuckle when Alabama lit a cigarette in the movie theater because the last time I smoked in the cinema was when I first saw this.

I don't know if I saw it this way before, but Tarantino seems to be quite the nerd, and I think this movie plays out like an alternate fantasy for him, and a lot of younger males. Meet girl, kill pimp, get coke, go to L.A. and sell coke for a lot of money. We've all daydreamed about such a fun scenario. Well, maybe not all of us but a lot of us. This movie is largely how that fantasy would play out, with a few bumps on the way.

Most of the dialogue works but some of it is a little much. Obviously it's the many supporting characters that make the movie different, or special depending on how you view it. They're all great, and special shout out to Bronson Pinchot for his performance. He seemed like an odd actor to have in the film with all of these guys who have played gangsters, cops, and other various tough guys. He really plays a big part in the last third of the film. Of course they all overshadow the 2 leads, but the 2 leads are fine enough.

Four main scenes highlights the movie; the Drexel scene, Walken vs Hopper, Bama in the hotel, and the finale. These are all very memorable scenes, although the finale ends up being the least effective in my mind. Fortunately the lead up to the gunfire is done very well. It was fun to revisit this classic.