LIMITED SERIES & MINI-SERIES

Tools    

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Currently watching:

Superstore (finishing it soon)
Jessica Jones (kinda cool to see a dark side of Marvel)
Sherlock Holmes (the Cumberbatch one)

Gonna get started on:

Ozark
Narcos

Currently watching:

Superstore (finishing it soon)
Jessica Jones (kinda cool to see a dark side of Marvel)
Sherlock Holmes (the Cumberbatch one)

Gonna get started on:

Ozark
Narcos
Ozark is brilliant.

Good show. Didn’t know what to expect, but it’s 6 x 30 minutes parts & they slip down easily. Sandra Oh is a standout in her lead rôle.

Would not have any problem with a second season.

The college is filmed partly in Washington, PA & partly in Pittsburgh. @Yoda @Austruck

The Adventure Starts Here!
Good show. Didn’t know what to expect, but it’s 6 x 30 minutes parts & they slip down easily. Sandra Oh is a standout in her lead rôle.

Would not have any problem with a second season.

The college is filmed partly in Washington, PA & partly in Pittsburgh. @Yoda @Austruck
I assume you mean they filmed partly on a college campus. There are a bunch of colleges here. Do you know offhand which one they used? (I think one reason Wonder Boys remains a favorite movie—although I have many reasons—is that much of it was filmed at my alma mater here.)

I assume you mean they filmed partly on a college campus. There are a bunch of colleges here. Do you know offhand which one they used? (I think one reason Wonder Boys remains a favorite movie—although I have many reasons—is that much of it was filmed at my alma mater here.)
“Washington & Jefferson College in Washington, Pennsylvania, and the Shadyside campus of Chatham University in Pittsburgh were used to represent Pembroke University, with the Shadyside neighborhood standing in for the town of Pembroke.” Wiki

Both my daughters-in-law attended Chatham and I have a best friend who worked in the registrar's office there. Also have friends who attended W&J, which is less than an hour from here.

Both my daughters-in-law attended Chatham and I have a best friend who worked in the registrar's office there. Also have friends who attended W&J, which is less than an hour from here.
It all looks very nice on the show.

Yeah, I thought it might be Washington & Jefferson because it has a nice campus. I grew up in Mt. Lebanon. Used to spend some time playing frat parties at Waynesburg College, as well as Pitt. Shadyside is a pretty part of town. They used to have a great art house cinema there.

So looking forward to Inventing Anna on Netflix & the show is horrible. It’s a true story of swindler Anna Delvey, but the series put the emphasis on the reporter who wrote the original story. In other words, they switched the rôles. Julia Garner did a good job as Delvey, but the series sucks. So disappointing. What was Shonda Rhimes the show runner thinking?

Loved this 10-parter on Netflix. Was so sorry when it was over. Margaret Qualley is a terrific young actor. Very impressive.

The story unfolded slowly & unhurriedly. One really felt for all the people involved no matter how dysfunctional.

#domestic abuse #verbalabuse #spousalabuse #homelessness

So looking forward to Inventing Anna on Netflix & the show is horrible. It’s a true story of swindler Anna Delvey, but the series put the emphasis on the reporter who wrote the original story. In other words, they switched the rôles. Julia Garner did a good job as Delvey, but the series sucks. So disappointing. What was Shonda Rhimes the show runner thinking?
I think there are a few reasons they did it this way. (I'm one episode away from the ending.) First, it gave them four people (the writers in Scriberia) to sit and discuss what was unfolding. A nice way to control the narrative a little bit. Also, I'm guessing they knew far more about Vivien Kent (actual name Jessica something-or-other) than we'll ever really know about Anna Sorokin/Delvey. So there was naturally more material to work with there. And the journalist's own sketchy background and impending motherhood added a sort of pathos it might not otherwise have had. It gave us that connection between a sympathetic writer interviewing Anna and wanting to see her as real, broken, tragic figure and Anna herself, who made that connection hard for Vivien to establish.

There are other reasons not to like this show (that accent, for one thing--although I heard from a friend who's listened to the real Anna in interviews that Garner's accent is what Anna really sounds like... yeesh!), but the way they handled telling the story wasn't a deal breaker for me. (Plus, I just enjoy any stories that have writers in them.)

I think there are a few reasons they did it this way. (I'm one episode away from the ending.) First, it gave them four people (the writers in Scriberia) to sit and discuss what was unfolding. A nice way to control the narrative a little bit. Also, I'm guessing they knew far more about Vivien Kent (actual name Jessica something-or-other) than we'll ever really know about Anna Sorokin/Delvey. So there was naturally more material to work with there. And the journalist's own sketchy background and impending motherhood added a sort of pathos it might not otherwise have had. It gave us that connection between a sympathetic writer interviewing Anna and wanting to see her as real, broken, tragic figure and Anna herself, who made that connection hard for Vivien to establish.

There are other reasons not to like this show (that accent, for one thing--although I heard from a friend who's listened to the real Anna in interviews that Garner's accent is what Anna really sounds like... yeesh!), but the way they handled telling the story wasn't a deal breaker for me. (Plus, I just enjoy any stories that have writers in them.)
I detested the Scriberia bit. Zero interest in them. Reporter’s impending birth was of no interest to me either.

Just hated the entire thing. I wanted to see Julia Garner in every single scene & I didn’t.

I detested the Scriberia bit. Zero interest in them. Reporter’s impending birth was of no interest to me either.

Just hated the entire thing. I wanted to see Julia Garner in every single scene & I didn’t.
I had the opposite reaction. I love Chumley but found Garner a bit hard to believe. She never struck me as someone who could have pulled the wool over so many people's eyes. I kept thinking, "So WHY are these people falling for all this? She's clearly a huckster."

And I was never sure if it was Garner's acting that made me feel that way or the situation itself.

I had the opposite reaction. I love Chumley but found Garner a bit hard to believe. She never struck me as someone who could have pulled the wool over so many people's eyes. I kept thinking, "So WHY are these people falling for all this? She's clearly a huckster."

And I was never sure if it was Garner's acting that made me feel that way or the situation itself.
Chumley’s ok. Excellent in Veep.

Garner is terrific in Ozark & I love her movie “The Assistant”.

Much to my amazement, I loved this mini-series on Hulu. Lily James unrecognizable as Pamela Anderson & Sebastian Stan brilliant as Tommy Lee, the drummer from Motley Crue. Seth Rogen also excellent in his rôle.

Loads of fun watching this nuttiness.

I have to admit, I'm surprised you liked that too, @Stirchley. Although, as I've not seen it, I might be unfairly judging it. I had no interest in watching it at all, but then I saw that scene in the bathroom with TL talking to 'himself' on Gogglebox (UK tv show) and thought 'y'know what? Maybe it could be worth watching' My sister felt (and had) the opposite reaction.

I have to admit, I'm surprised you liked that too, @Stirchley. Although, as I've not seen it, I might be unfairly judging it. I had no interest in watching it at all, but then I saw that scene in the bathroom with TL talking to 'himself' on Gogglebox (UK tv show) and thought 'y'know what? Maybe it could be worth watching' My sister felt (and had) the opposite reaction.
It’s just so well-acted. Sebastian Stan was Tommy Lee to a T. Not that I would know because I had zero interest in Motley Crue. I had no idea Stan was such a good actor. And he’s so reserved in the extras of the show. Very quiet & mature, unlike Tommy Lee.

And anyone who spends 4 hours in hair, etc. & then has to learn “American” deserves kudos for her hard work: Lily James.

Give it a shot.

Excellent true-story mini-series. Elle Fanning really good. Chloë Sevigny too.

I question the taste levels here though in making a re-enactment, in essence, of a story where all the players except the boy who killed himself are all alive. Can’t imagine his mother watching this show & seeing herself as depicted by Sevigny. Strange indeed.