The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I only see a little grey square. I assume that represents the hole in the list where Bellucci should have been.

It's crazy how that was the highest grossing film of all time when it was released back in 2009 and nowadays, barely anyone cares about it.

The real tragedy here is the lack of Monica Belluci, especially her vulnerable performance in Malena.

Her beauty is on part with Catherine Deneuve, Jeanne Moreau and Isabelle Adjani.

Sad day, indeed.
Come here Monica. I’ll comfort you
Out of her eligible films, she placed...

321. The Passion of the Christ
336. The Matrix Reloaded
357. The Matrix Revolutions
375. Malena
422. Irreversible

The trick is not minding
It's crazy how that was the highest grossing film of all time when it was released back in 2009 and nowadays, barely anyone cares about it.
It was nice to look at, especially in 3D, the way I saw it in the theater, and severs as a nice allegory to the War in Iraq, but it really isn’t that great in terms as his (Cameron) earlier films and far from the best film of that year.

It was nice to look at, especially in 3D, the way I saw it in the theater, and severs as a nice allegory to the War in Iraq, but it really isn’t that great in terms as his (Cameron) earlier films and far from the best film of that year.
I remember thinking it was alright. I'd probably put it in the middle of Cameron's filmography.

It's a weird case. I liked it well enough when I saw it in theaters and still hold the overall experience as one of my most memorable. But like most people will say, the story is not very strong and I haven't felt the urge to revisit it on TV. Not sure how it would fare for me now.

I also think that Cameron's obsession with this world has sorta soured it further for some, as people keep on questioning "why?" to this barrage of sequels.

Having seen Piranha II last week, I can safely say it is above that one Then again, I love all of his other films.

I would put Avatar right at the bottom of all of Cameron's movies. I tolerated it at the time, as it was a spectacle movie, and it felt as if it was something unique, a shared experience with an audience. But I think a couple of days after I saw it, I started considering its actual quality, and how lacking it was in anything I am remotely interested in movie wise, I soured on it.

It's obviously well made but, who cares? Not me.

It's a weird case. I liked it well enough when I saw it in theaters and still hold the overall experience as one of my most memorable. But like most people will say, the story is not very strong and I haven't felt the urge to revisit it on TV. Not sure how it would fare for me now.

I also think that Cameron's obsession with this world has sorta soured it further for some, as people keep on questioning "why?" to this barrage of sequels.

Having seen Piranha II last week, I can safely say it is above that one Then again, I love all of his other films.
I also suspect that the cgi won't have the same bite it did back in 2009 if I were to ever rewatch it since it has been over a decade since its release and it's likely dated at this point. Without a compelling story to make up for that, I haven't felt an urge to rewatch it.

Did you suggest dining at the trash can instead? I think they would have found that a suitable alternative.

I feel Tim Horton's is kind of food for people who've given up on life, so I try not to make their lives any worse with snark. Instead, I just quietly die as I sit there dipping my stale bun into my watery chili substance.

I’m disappointed at the lack of documentaries, as I had two (Grizzly Man and An Inconvenient Truth), but I could have easily included Murderball, as well. *

Murderball I thought of putting on my ballot but I haven't seen it in so long I didn't know how to slot it in. Is it a 15, a 20, a 25? The King of Kong made a strong push as well but in the end I just couldn't pull the trigger on either one of 'em.

I'm not a fan of the movie, but the Avatar ride at Disney World is incredibly fun.

I forgot the opening line.
What can I say about No Country for Old Men? It was my #3 and it's simply a razor-sharp film which is fantastic and even while Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh isn't onscreen his presence is felt - he looms over everything, and it was certainly an Oscar-worthy performance. This felt like something new again from the Coen Bros - they'd gotten serious before, but this was the deepest they'd delved into the dark heart of man's lust for wealth, and the blood shed without a second thought about it's true meaning and that of life. This film is forever linked with There Will be Blood due to the timing of both films, the location where they were shot and their similar themes. It even managed to walk away with what would have been TWBB's Oscar. Both films are classics and will be long remembered. I agree with anyone who might say The Fellowship of the Ring is the best chapter in the Lord of the Rings saga, and it's the one I've seen the most. I don't count them as favourites though, so none of them made my list. Hurrah for No Country coming 1st!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final stats and list :

Films I've seen : 87
Films that have been on my radar : 7
Films I've never even heard of : 6

Films from my list : 17 (+2)

#1 - My #3 - No Country for Old Men (2007)
#3 - My #1 - There Will Be Blood (2007)
#6 - My #4 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
#11 - My #5 - Memento (2000)
#12 - My #12 - In the Mood for Love (2000)
#32 - My #7 - Lost in Translation (2003)
#39 - My #17 - Sideways (2004)
#43 - My #2 - Adaptation (2002)
#49 - My #8 - Dancer in the Dark (2000)
#51 - My #6 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
#56 - My #20 - In Bruges (2008)
#59 - My #16 - The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)
#66 - My #9 - A Serious Man (2009)
#71 - My #23 - Snatch (2000)
#78 - My #13 - The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
#84 - My #21 - The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
One pointer - World's Greatest Dad (2009)
#102 - My #10 - Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
#109 - My #19 - Michael Clayton (2007)
-------------------------------------------------------
DNP
My #11 - Broken Flowers (2005)
My #14 - The Hours (2002) - Exceptional performances and a wonderfully woven story taking place in different times - with three women and their choices/fates having a dramatic effect on each other. Nicole Kidman is superb, and real-life novelist Virginia Woolf's narrated monologue at the end moves me to the point where I'm a complete mess every time the film finishes. There are not many films that leave me in such a state - so I've always regarded this film as something special.
My #15 - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
My #18 - Doubt (2008) - Love this story of nun vs priest where child abuse is suspected, believed - but never proven. Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman show why they are/were two of the all time greats, and the weight doubt that can on a human soul that truly believes at the same time is shown with exceptional clarity. I'm always energized by two great actors really giving their all like these two do.
My #22 - Secretary (2002) - A shaky inclusion on my list, but this tale of masochistic erotica has always put a smile on my face. I just don't know how many people have seen this, but I think it definitely has a finger on the pulse of the dynamics some relationships really work under. Not all, or even most relationships - but not everyone is wired to work the same way, and when two people meet each other like they do in this film, it's to be celebrated (with spanking.)
My #24 - Training Day (2001)

That's it! @Thief - you have been the greatest host I've ever had the pleasure of being hosted by. Many, many thanks for that.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Back in early December I asked...

• What will films #100 and #99 be? Master and Commander and Life Aquatic
  • Which director will appear the most times? Coen brothers and Nolan
  • How many animated films will make it? 10
  • What year from the decade will have the most entries? 2000

Have fun!
Nobody guessed #100 and #99, but...

Which director will appear the most times?
The Coens
Which director will appear the most times?
The Coens.

How many animated films will make it?
So congrats!!

BTW, a lot of people guessed 2007 as the year with most entries. That one fooled me as well.

Also...

Just thought to share this

The MoFo Millenium Top 100 Countdown
'00 - 14
'01 - 10
'02 - 12
'03 - 8
'04 - 8
'05 - 8
'06 - 7
'07 - 10
'08 - 7
'09 - 4
This countdown...
  • 2000 = 17
  • 2001 = 12
  • 2002 = 8
  • 2003 = 9
  • 2004 = 11
  • 2005 = 12
  • 2006 = 9
  • 2007 = 7
  • 2008 = 7
  • 2009 = 8

Ok, so these are the only films I haven't seen from the countdown, sorta ranked by my level of interest...

51. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
85. Caché
73. Punch-Drunk Love
97. Werckmeister Harmonies
94. The Devil's Rejects
49. Dancer in the Dark
86. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
92. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
91. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
99. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
39. Sideways
78. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
82. Waking Life
50. Yi Yi
93. Pride & Prejudice
98. The New World
64. Paprika

I still have 7 pages of posts to read through - I do like going through and checking out other people's lists so I will take my time. In the meantime here is my list:

1. There Will Be Blood (2007)
2. Mulholland Drive (2001)
3. Yi Yi (2000)
4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
5. City of God (2002)
6. Caché (2005)
7. In the Mood for Love (2000)
8. WALL·E (2008)
9. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
10. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2004)
11. Children of Men (2006)
12. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
13. Spirited Away (2001)
14. Three Times (2005)
15. Russian Ark (2002)
16. Elephant (2003)
17. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
18. Eureka (2000)
19. American Splendor (2003)
20. My Winnipeg (2007)
21. A History of Violence (2005)
22. The Aviator (2004)
23. Platform (2001)
24. Sexy Beast (2001)
25. The Fast Runner (2002)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."