How film has influenced history, leaders, etc.

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I thought of this while watching the film, "M" -- made right before the Nazis took power. When directors of totalitarian governments force the director to a certain propaganda or lose their jobs, most bite, and that bite takes a huge chunk out of society's heart.

I know Saddam's favorite movie was "The Godfather" (and his favorite show was Little House On The Prairie)... I remembered a few more, but anyway, you get the drift.

Movies have a long-lasting effect, and I'm curious to see how much. I've heard people repeat "history" that was in a movie (but inaccurate) for example.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
One example of film's impact on history is:

Alexander Nevesky by Sergei Eisenstein (1938)

Eisenstein took 10 years to complete the film which was made during the Stalinist Era. At the time the Soviet Union was absolutely opposed to Hitler's Nazi Germany. It was released in 1938 and depicts an invasion of Russia by German Teutonic knights in the 13th century which was opposed and defeated by the Russian hero Prince Alexander Nevesky (1220-1263).

It was hugely popular and seen by millions of Russians. Then on 23 August 1939 Stalin signed the Non-Agreestion pact with Hitler whereby the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany would cooperate in all military matters. On September 1, 1939 WWII broke out and the film was immediately removed from circulation and banned.

Then on June 22nd 1941 Germany invaded the Soviet Union, and the film was immediately restored to widespread circulation and the film makers were awarded the Stalin prize for the film.

It's pretty darn creepy to think of political leaders taking their hints from movies. There's such a slippery line between plot and propaganda sometimes and so many despots have such twisted minds before they see movies that it seems to be impossible to determine which influenced which. You'd have to know something more than I know about Nixon to figure out whether he was inspired by Patton or whether Patton just gave him an example of what he already wanted to be or wished to be but wasn't.

In the case of Nixon, (a Quaker) Patton would not give him very much direct instruction since Nixon was never a general in a war and never on a front line. Even as Commander in Chief during Vietnam, Nixon never left the White House and, in fact, never actually saw any combat in WW II, unlike Patton who was "blood and guts". Patton, walking through a field of dead bodies, proclaiming after a long sniff, "I love it" might have been wish fulfillment for military bureaucrat Nixon.

Nixon and Patton seem a bit like me at the age of 9, imagining myself being a movie action hero.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's pretty darn creepy to think of political leaders taking their hints from movies. There's such a slippery line between plot and propaganda sometimes and so many despots have such twisted minds before they see movies that it seems to be impossible to determine which influenced which. You'd have to know something more than I know about Nixon to figure out whether he was inspired by Patton or whether Patton just gave him an example of what he already wanted to be or wished to be but wasn't.

In the case of Nixon, (a Quaker) Patton would not give him very much direct instruction since Nixon was never a general in a war and never on a front line. Even as Commander in Chief during Vietnam, Nixon never left the White House and, in fact, never actually saw any combat in WW II, unlike Patton who was "blood and guts". Patton, walking through a field of dead bodies, proclaiming after a long sniff, "I love it" might have been wish fulfillment for military bureaucrat Nixon.

Nixon and Patton seem a bit like me at the age of 9, imagining myself being a movie action hero.

He was said to have seen the movie repeatedly (when he wasn't talking to a bust of Lincoln), and although the influence might not be quantifiable, who knows what it could have done.

I also don't think being a Quaker conditioned his behavior, lol.

Speaking of Nixon (as recently as 2021 anyway)... he was thrilled with the 1972 movie production of 1776!
BUT... he did not care for the musical number called Cool Considerate Men as it was critical of the conservative mindset and of "the right".
Nixon allegedly pressured Jack Warner to cut the number from the film release, which Warner did.

Luckily, copies of the number were secretly kept, and eventually restored to most copies of the film!

Ronald Reagan The Day After (he went to the negotiating table to discuss arms reduction after viewing).

Ronald Reagan Dr. Strangelove (Reagan allegedly asked where the War Room was when he first entered the White House, but even if he said it, Reagan was known for making quips).