The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The top 10 sums up the entire decade for me fairly well. 'Good' films, some of which I wanted to see but didn't like, with Zodiac being the only one I really liked and would care to see again... But haven't.

I'd also point out that the first couple of years of this decade seem to be the most popular... And that's because they're, essentially, 90's films.

Of the 'remaining' two. One, probably the next, will be a film I managed for 40 and turned off, never to return and the second is the best of three crap films and it's just 3 hours of walking.

It's only after 40 minutes that Paul Blart really starts to hit it's stroke of genius

I'd also point out that the first couple of years of this decade seem to be the most popular... And that's because they're, essentially, 90's films.
This is something that genuinely surprised me. I could've sworn that the latter years, specifically 2007, would come out with the win. But as you can all see from the "pit stops", 2000 dominated pretty much from the get-go.

11. Memento
12. In the Mood for Love
20. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
26. Requiem for a Dream
40. Gladiator
48. Dancer in the Dark
50. Yi Yi
53. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
62. Unbreakable
67. Quills
69. Cast Away
71. Snatch
77. Battle Royale
79. American Psycho
81. Amores Perros
90. Almost Famous
97. Werckmeister Harmonies

Ironically, there have been no 2000 films in the Top 10... so far

haven't seen it in a minute. i remember There Will Be Blood being pretty great but its not a film that necessarily spoke to me. wasn't on my list but i'm honestly surprised its this low on the list.

Sometimes to mix things up I will choose one of two other movies as my favorite of the decade, but when it comes right down to it, no film from the 2000s had more of an impact on me than There Will Be Blood, and so it was my #1. It really is just a stunning movie, and all these years later I can still feel the intensity of so many of the scenes, starting with the very opening scene, and speaking of intensity, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more intense performance than what Daniel Day-Lewis gives us, and so much of it is done with silence or at least very little dialogue. What an iconic performance that has become. My #2 film is still to come.

My List:
1. There Will Be Blood (#3)
3. Synecdoche, New York (#46)
4. Inglourious Basterds (#18)
5. The Dark Knight (#10)
6. Let the Right One In (#29)
8. Sin City (#47)
13. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (#53)
14. The Lives of Others (#41)
16. The Royal Tenenbaums (#35)
17. Memento (#11)
18. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
19. The Incredibles (#36)
20. Lost in Translation (#32)
21. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
22. The Man Who Wasn’t There (#84)
24. Moon (#48)
25. Letters from Iwo Jima (DNP)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
11. Mulholland Drive (2001)

Here is a film that I like with each viewing. I'm sure if I were to watch it again it would jump up a few more spots on my list.

It's my favourite Lynch film and he's a director that I love or hate. I couldn't get into Eraserhead or Inland Empire, but I love Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. I recently watched both Elephant Man and Straight Story, really dug both of those movies. Twin Peaks is in a league of its own. Lost Highway is somewhere in the middle and a film I need to revisit before I can make a real claim on it.

Mulholland Dr. is a film that has all of Lynch's cylinders firing high. The right amount of noir, mystery, dream like camera movements and oddities. Like others have said, it's a film that stays with you and makes you think about every little detail. Lynch has a mind unlike any other filmmaker and now I want to go watch Mulholland Dr. again.

Suspect's Reviews

7. There Will Be Blood (2007)

In 2007 I took my wife to see two movies in the theatres. She hated both of them. This was one of them. She leaned over to me 20 minutes in and whispered..."No one is talking." I nodded my head with a smile, "I know, I love it."

She claims nothing interesting happens until the infamous "milkshake" scene, but she is notoriously wrong during our arguments. There Will Be Blood is probably one of the greatest American films of all-time.

One of my favourite performances on screen. DDL delivers a staggering and powerhouse performance where he disappears behind the evil. Here's a man who is willing to 'adopt' a kid for his own personal gain. He doesn't care about his well being, just how he is perceived for his business. That business is oil and it's a "family" business to him. Yet once the child is involved in an accident that leaves him deaf, Plainview abandons him. He first leaves him during the incident, the child is scared and confused. Planview would rather marvel at the money spewing out of the ground than to take care and comfort his "son". Then he literally abandons him on the train. He's of no use to him anymore and he doesn't have the time to learn sign-language. The final nail in the coffin is towards the end when he laughs in his sons face and calls him a bastard in a basket. Planview has won everything he's wanted in terms of financial success. But he has no one to share it with, no one to care for him.

He murders a man for claiming to be his brother. Planview is not our protagonist, he's not some anti-hero. We follow the antagonist in this story and it's a marvel to watch.

The score is unnerving. Johnny Greenwood delivers a memorable score...that wasn't even nominated. A travesty. I still listen to the piece when the oil explodes and Planview rushes to safety with his son in his arms.

I could go on about how Paul Dano gives it his all and is a nice teeter-totter role for DDL, or how the film looks gorgeous. I could go on about how it's directed with precision and one objectively Anderson's best film.

I could, but I won't. Others are better at articulating their love for this film than me.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
2. The Dark Knight (2008)
4. Amélie (2001)
5. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
6. The Pianist (2002)
7. There Will Be Blood (2007)
8. Memento (2000)
9. Zodiac (2007)
10. City of God (2002)
11. Mulholland Drive (2001)
13. Lost in Translation (2003)
14. Sin City (2005)
15. Hot Fuzz (2007)
16. Up (2009)
17. WALL·E (2008)
18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
19. The Departed (2006)
20. Battle Royale (2000)
21. Spirited Away (2001)
22. Oldboy (2003)
23. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
24. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
25. American Psycho (2000)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I don't remember if I ever saw Open Range, but if I did, I don't remember it. I'm gonna have to check it out.

If you don't remember, then you haven't seen it!

Grrrrrrr @u.

If you don't remember, then you haven't seen it!

Grrrrrrr @u.
I read it twice but didn't remember to edit

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I read it twice but didn't remember to edit
NO!!
cuz it was that great. Excellent chocolate. You will never forget. You. Will never. Forgets.

NO!!
cuz it was that great. Excellent chocolate. You will never forget. You. Will never. Forgets.
I'll remember to remember, but if I forget, remind me.

There Will Be Blood is the best film of the decade. Most of you are just wrong. That's okay, we can't all be right all of the time.

1. There Will Be Blood (2007)
2. Mulholland Drive (2001)
3. Yi Yi (2000)
4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
5. City of God (2002)
6. Caché (2005)
7. In the Mood for Love (2000)
8. WALL·E (2008)
9. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
11. Children of Men (2006)
13. Spirited Away (2001)
17. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
22. The Aviator (2004)
25. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001)

That's the last from my list. No Country for Old Men and The Fellowship of the Ring would have made my top 50. I'll share my complete list at the end of the show.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

There Will Be Blood was my #1.

2007 was a great year for films. Back in the day, I would probably say Zodiac was my favorite from that year, with this one and No Country for Old Men close at #2 and #3. However, as I kept going back to this, I couldn't help but be amazed at how great it is; not only from a technical standpoint cause the craft in this is insanely good, but also at the moral complexities of its characters. There's something to be said about a film that presents two leads that are essentially despicable human beings, and yet you can't help but feel drawn to them. Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano were at the top of their game each. Now at 2022, although I still think No Country for Old Men and Zodiac are excellent, this is easily my favorite of the decade, and probably of the millennium so far.
I too had There Will Be Blood at #1. A remarkable film. The best of the decade.

No Country for Old Men was at #5.

There Will Be Blood is not my P.T. Anderson (Phantom Thread 4eva!) but I appreciate its qualities and understand the admiration people have for it. And maybe if I watch it again I'll move closer to that position. No vote this time, though.

I see Mulholland Dr as top tier Lynch but that wasn't enough to be a contender for my ballot. It may have made my top 100, but not ahead of Triangle.

There Will Be Blood was low on my ballot, but I generally think of it as the best film of the decade.

1. The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) (#59)
2. Downfall (2004) (#28)
4. City of God (2002) (#25)
5. Adaptation (2002) (#43)
6. The Devil's Rejects (2005) (#94)
8. 28 Days Later (2002) (#45)
10. The Wrestler (2008) (#54)
11. Mystic River (2003) (#65)
13. The Departed (2006) (#19)
14. Sideways (2002) (#39)
15. Amores Perros (2000) (#81)
16. Donnie Darko (2001) (#24)
17. Y tu mamá también (2001) (#95)