Mortal Kombat II

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
A sequel to the 2021 reboot of Mortal Kombat is definitely happening. Warner Bros. greenlit the film and Jeremy Slater, who is writing Marvel's Moon Knight series, will be penning the script. Looks like we're gonna see Johnny Cage after all.

Variety

Hopefully the movie will live up to the trailer this time though.
The movie was kinda meh and a lot of the scenes and set pieces looked like they'd been filmed for an early 2000s webseries.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Costumes were great for everyone except the main character who was, ironically, a new addition. How easy could it have been to just make him one of the canon characters? Doesn't make any sense to me. He can still be an outsider, not knowing the world.

Anyways, special effects were decent for some scenes, but the fight choreography I thought was kind of lame for a movie about martial arts.

Also, damn did they miscast Raiden. He was one of the worst parts of the movie and he is one of my favourite characters.

WARNING: "Mortal Kombat" spoilers below
And why the F did he let Kung Lao die? He claims he could not intervene with them....but then later does just that and smirks when asked about it. So he legit just let one of his best fighters bite the dust for no reason.

I mean...It was one of my least favourite movies of 2021, but yes...I will watch the sequel and scream Mortal Kombat.

Hopefully we actually get a Mortal Kombat tournament in the next one.

Suspect's Reviews

Costumes were great for everyone except the main character who was, ironically, a new addition. How easy could it have been to just make him one of the canon characters? Doesn't make any sense to me. He can still be an outsider, not knowing the world.

Anyways, special effects were decent for some scenes, but the fight choreography I thought was kind of lame for a movie about martial arts.

Also, damn did they miscast Raiden. He was one of the worst parts of the movie and he is one of my favourite characters.

And why the F did he let Kung Lao die? He claims he could not intervene with them....but then later does just that and smirks when asked about it. So he legit just let one of his best fighters bite the dust for no reason.

I mean...It was one of my least favourite movies of 2021, but yes...I will watch the sequel and scream Mortal Kombat.

Hopefully we actually get a Mortal Kombat tournament in the next one.
I felt the same about Cole.

They should have put Liu Kang in the lead and used the backstory they gave him as it sounded far more interesting.
Kang talks only a couple lines about being an orphan, and Kung Lao saves him, takes him into the temple and trains him. You get the impression from his mannerisms he was probably abused as a child.
Kang's first "assignment" was to take out what is essentially a child abuser, "a purveyor of rare things. Children"... and takes the person's dragon marking from them.

Would have been a better story than Cole, who's Arcana, is simply to take a beating.

Scorpion's story was good enough, but I get the impression they wrote Cole into the movie to try and explain how Scorpion is able to return.
Which, I don't really get why, because Scorpion already had a backstory that could have been used.

I did enjoy the first movie on first watch, but the production value of the sets and photography were pretty low budget, and looked low budget.
Agree with the fight scenes as well. Get the camera as close as possible, and shake the camera as much as possible.
I think the only fight they actually did justice was when Scorpion fights Sub-Zero. Both fights between the two are handled/choreographed really well.

Welcome to the human race...
The first one had a lot of issues, but there was enough potential there that I hope they manage to pull it together a second time around - then again, maybe WB are fine with just turning it into content for HBO Max.

Have to wonder who you'd have cast instead. I do reckon Tadanobu Asano is a solid actor who could've pulled it off, but as with most of the cast here they don't really give him anything to do (especially considering how Raiden is characterised as this jaded drill sergeant type who kicks Cole out for not advancing quickly enough for his liking).

I felt the same about Cole.

They should have put Liu Kang in the lead and used the backstory they gave him as it sounded far more interesting.
Kang talks only a couple lines about being an orphan, and Kung Lao saves him, takes him into the temple and trains him. You get the impression from his mannerisms he was probably abused as a child.
Kang's first "assignment" was to take out what is essentially a child abuser, "a purveyor of rare things. Children"... and takes the person's dragon marking from them.

Would have been a better story than Cole, who's Arcana, is simply to take a beating.

Scorpion's story was good enough, but I get the impression they wrote Cole into the movie to try and explain how Scorpion is able to return.
Which, I don't really get why, because Scorpion already had a backstory that could have been used.

I did enjoy the first movie on first watch, but the production value of the sets and photography were pretty low budget, and looked low budget.
Agree with the fight scenes as well. Get the camera as close as possible, and shake the camera as much as possible.
I think the only fight they actually did justice was when Scorpion fights Sub-Zero. Both fights between the two are handled/choreographed really well.
Liu Kang makes more sense as a protagonist (as does Sonya and, if he were there, Johnny Cage) but I don't think that particular backstory would've worked for him anyway - the "avenge dead brother" plot from the '95 film was nice and economical, which is what you need when giving backstories to a bunch of different characters in a film that should prioritise its action. The whole Arcana thing was a bad idea all around anyway - this was not a franchise that needed its magic elements over-explained to that extent (might as well be midichlorians) - it should be enough that an audience can trust characters can develop powers in this universe. Cole felt like the makers really overdid the whole "chosen one" archetype and piled on all manner of tropes to make him relatable that only made him seem more artificial.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I modestly enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat film, and am looking forward to the sequel (modestly).

Welcome to the human race...
I like Urban, but he seems completely wrong for Johnny Cage. Cage's backstory is that he's an arrogant bastard who only competes in Mortal Kombat to prove he's the best fighter, which makes more sense for a younger actor - giving it to someone as old as Urban is going to end up making him look like Steven Seagal.

"The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" co-stars Tati Gabrielle and Adeline Rudolph will respectively play Jade and Kitana.

Well, I hope they all work out.

I saw the original in theaters twice when I was young, once alone and once with my best friend. Since it was a video game dramatization it was different from your normal movie, keeping some haracteristics of what the gameplay was like. I enjoyed the special effects and otherworldly visual qualities. It wasnt the greatest movie but people went to see it because they liked the game.

More to the cast have been added

Martyn Ford is Shao Kahn
Damon Herriman is Quan Chi
Desmond Chiam as King Jerrod
Ana Thu Nguyen is Queen Sindel

Production began today!