Wordle 221 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Duplicate Account (locked)
phew, i played hard mode today and got it on the 6th try. Hard mode may make it easier in some respect, but it takes the luck element almost completely out of the game and forces you to focus which makes it more fun. My methodology is this so far:

-guess "aeons" for vowels.

-use gedit to display stuff in times of desperation

-bash my head against the table.

-use the "5 letter words that ____ " as a last resort for comfort, luckily i didn't have to do that today.

Nice to see someone else step up to 'hard' mode .... that makes three of us now

#clubhard

#notsureilikethesoundofthat

I'm ashamed to admit that I lost today. Growing up in the '90s, I think of the winning word as slang and not a real word.
I kinda agree. I mainly got it because there simply didn't seem to be anything else that felt like a word left.

Oh it's most definitely a word, I remember hearing it quite a lot
WARNING: "Wouldn't want to give anyone a clue" spoilers below
during my schooldays

Oh it's most definitely a word, I remember hearing it quite a lot
WARNING: "Wouldn't want to give anyone a clue" spoilers below
during my schooldays
Riiight...

I'm ashamed to admit that I lost today. Growing up in the '90s, I think of the winning word as slang and not a real word.
WARNING: spoilers below
That is a four-letter word, as in the slogan CRACK IS WACK. "Whack", on the other hand, is classic onomatopoeia.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wordle 221 4/6 Wordle 221 4/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Finally got the darn thing on my usual 4th try. I guess because I desperately don’t want to try a 5th guess.

Oh man, was this close. Got a whole lot of nothing the first few guesses:

Wordle 221 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I was amazed by its rejection of Latin as my first word guess. If Latin isn’t a word, I don’t know what is.

After seeing what it is, I reject hard mode as meh. It limits strategy, but sometimes it is to the benefit of the player, not usually, but sometimes. The first couple of games I played, it didn't even occur to me to not use the letters I already knew were up there. Both times I was done in 2 minutes with no problem. My wife reuses the letters because she's trying to guess the word right away and she has no problem. If you look at Stirchley, she's using "hard mode" and maybe doesn't realize it. As far as I'm concerned, limiting strategy just takes a little bit of the fun out of it. If they really wanted to make it a challenge, they would not show any green letters until you guess the final word correctly.

After seeing what it is, I reject hard mode as meh. It limits strategy, but sometimes it is to the benefit of the player, not usually, but sometimes. The first couple of games I played, it didn't even occur to me to not use the letters I already knew were up there. Both times I was done in 2 minutes with no problem. My wife reuses the letters because she's trying to guess the word right away and she has no problem. If you look at Stirchley, she's using "hard mode" and maybe doesn't realize it. As far as I'm concerned, limiting strategy just takes a little bit of the fun out of it. If they really wanted to make it a challenge, they would not show any green letters until you guess the final word correctly.
I don't really agree. The normal mode is just a repetitive and automated task. You use the same two words every time. If you're still missing many letters, you use the same third word every time. It reduces most of the game into a simple statistical exercise. In hard mode, you have to start thinking from the 2nd word on.

I don't really agree. The normal mode is just a repetitive and automated task. You use the same two words every time. If you're still missing many letters, you use the same third word every time. It reduces most of the game into a simple statistical exercise. In hard mode, you have to start thinking from the 2nd word on.
What do you mean you use the same word?

What do you mean you use the same word?
In normal mode, you have the "starting" words that are designed to eliminate as many common letters as possible (they should also consider the positions the letters commonly are in these short English words). Unless you're lucky and hit almost all green/yellow on your first word, you'll always use the same 2nd word to "see" ten common letters.

In normal mode, I (after some investigation and thinking) always started SERAI and DONUT. Once you find out good words, it's detrimental to deviate from them. In hard mode, you can (usually) have only one fixed word to rely on. Everything after that changes from day to day, making you think more and rely less on predetermined statistical conventions. It makes Wordle more about vocabulary and wits, while the normal mode is almost purely statistical exercise.

In normal mode, you have the "starting" words that are designed to eliminate as many common letters as possible (they should also consider the positions the letters commonly are in these short English words). Unless you're lucky and hit almost all green/yellow on your first word, you'll always use the same 2nd word to "see" ten common letters.

In normal mode, I (after some investigation and thinking) always started SERAI and DONUT. Once you find out good words, it's detrimental to deviate from them. In hard mode, you can (usually) have only one fixed word to rely on. Everything after that changes from day to day, making you think more and rely less on predetermined statistical conventions. It makes Wordle more about vocabulary and wits, while the normal mode is almost purely statistical exercise.
I've only played 7 games so far but I haven't used any of the same words and I just don't think that way. I've been using words that don't have letters in common with the word from the day before. Today I used cited, tomorrow I'm planning on using ***** or *****, assuming I can remember those words tomorrow. My second word will completely depend on the results of my first word. As of now, that's thousands of options.

Edited to avoid spoilers

The way I see it, if it's mandatory that I have to use the same letters again, it gives me less to think about.
It limits the number of letters you can eliminate with your first two words (assuming you hit something with the first). It also limits the number of possible words to use as your second and prevents you from having a go-to word beyond the first. These limitations increase difficulty, put more emphasis on vocabulary, and generally bring thinking into the game one word earlier.

While these are my opinions, I'm quite sure they're also mathematically correct assumptions. I'm a min-maxer with a long history of gaming. I guess it needs to be clarified that when I speak of the "right" way to play, I tend to mean "optimal" - the right way to play is the way you enjoy the most.