Tools    

This is what Mulholland Drive got:

1st Place: 4 ballots
2nd Place: 5 ballots
3rd Place: 2 ballots
4th Place: 2 ballots
5th Place: 1 ballot

6th Place or less: 21 ballots

Like Spirited Away yesterday, this one got more 1st Place votes than the film that ended up at #1.

A system of cells interlinked
Not a Lynch fan, like at all. The only film of his I liked was "The Elephant Man". Sour grapes on my part in saying a very depressing top ten, so far.
Have you seen Lynch's Disney film, The Straight Story?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is what Mulholland Drive got:

1st Place: 4 ballots
2nd Place: 5 ballots
3rd Place: 2 ballots
4th Place: 2 ballots
5th Place: 1 ballot

6th Place or less: 21 ballots

Like Spirited Away yesterday, this one got more 1st Place votes than the film that ended up at #1.
Hmmm. Interesting hint that could change my ultimate prediction.

mulholland drive is one of the best movies ever made and would've been my #1 for most decades if there weren't three LOTR movies released in this one.

my parents showed me fellowship when i was three years old and the lord of the rings have been my favorite movies ever since, although my actual ranking of the three changes so much as to be practically irrelevant, so i don't really bother except when i have to think about it for lists like this. this time i had the two towers at #3 and the return of the king at #1. my only issue with the latter film is that there aren't enough endings; they could've easily squeezed another 3-4 in there. my rationale for ranking ROTK first this time is that it's the longest and therefore i get to spend the longest time watching it, which in my mind can only be a good thing. it was also one of the first movies i ever saw in the theater, which i had actually forgotten about until my dad reminded me that i pissed my pants in the theater because i didn't want to miss anything by going to the bathroom (i was four). how's that for personal, mr minio?
criticker

A system of cells interlinked
Lynch & Disney?!? Now there's a mash-up. Sounds intriging.
Worth a watch for sure, and it shows that Lynch can spin a straight-forward yarn if he so chooses. It's about an old timer that rides his John Deere across multiple states to visit his estranged, ailing brother.

Worth a watch for sure, and it shows that Lynch can spin a straight-forward yarn if he so chooses. It's about an old timer that rides his John Deere across multiple states to visit his estranged, ailing brother.
Now that you described it, sounds vaguely familiar.

Can't state enough how much I love Mulholland Drive or put my love into words better than these other MoFos have, but here's my favorite scene

My List:
My List
1. The Pianist (2002)
2. Donnie Darko (2001)
3. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Oldboy (2003)
8. Gran Torino (2008). (#108)
11. Caché (2005)
12. Ratatouille (2007)
14. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
15. Downfall (2004)
16. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
17. A Serious Man (2009)
18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
21. Battle Royale (2000)
22. City of God (2002)
24. The Dark Knight (2008)
25. Bellamy (2009. (1 pointer)

And that's it from my list to make it, rooting for No Country to win

so were allowed to reveal some of the movies on our list now??? I thought we couldn't until the countdown ends? O_O if we are cool just wondering since I see some revealing some of their lists.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Some of us have, which is not of Thief's approval. But feel the reveals have zero shot of making the list. Personally, I'll refrain from doing any more of this until after the countdown.

so were allowed to reveal some of the movies on our list now??? I thought we couldn't until the countdown ends? O_O if we are cool just wondering since I see some revealing some of their lists.
Normally I wouldn't post my ballot until after the countdown was over, but Thief previously had posted a list of movies that were near misses...so I figured it was more than fine for us to post are ballots at this late date.

Some of us have, which is not of Thief's approval. But feel the reveals have zero shot of making the list. Personally, I'll refrain from doing any more of this until after the countdown.
This.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
that.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Normally I wouldn't post my ballot until after the countdown was over, but Thief previously had posted a list of movies that were near misses...so I figured it was more than fine for us to post are ballots at this late date.
Yeah, I wouldn't have bit the early reveal of Torino not making it really got to me, so I figured why not. Torino missing a 2000s list is a mockery to me.

Generally speaking I have no issues with people revealing their lists other than it setting a precedent. We have a clear rule not to reveal lists until the countdown is finished, and that has been the rule on every countdown even before I got here. I've only been here for a year, and this is only the third countdown I've participated in so I don't know to what level that is enforced or what issues that might have presented in the past, but it is a rule nonetheless. I know that at this point most people can probably guess what the Top 5 or Top 3 will be, and that what people are revealing are films that "have no chance", but that doesn't make it any less of a guess. So even though the choices of what will make it and what not are probably "clear" here and now, whenever a countdown comes where the choices aren't that clear, some people might argue that there is a precedent to reveal some/all of their lists before the countdown finishes cause "it had been done before" and maybe open the floodgates for more people to do it, thus ruining the experience of the reveals. That's my logic for not endorsing it.

In the many years we have been doing these list reveals when you get down to the Top Ten and everybody has noodled through what the handful of movies are that are left, that's when traditionally people start revealing their absolute known misses.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Trivia

Mulholland Drive

Did you know that...
  • the casting of the three leads bears some weird resemblance to how their characters are introduced? Laura Harring had a minor car accident on her way to her first interview, while Naomi Watts went to her interview straight from the airport. Justin Theroux also went to his first interview after a long flight with little sleep, all dressed in black and with untidy hair. Lynch liked the look and used it for the film.
  • Adam Kesher smashing the windshield of a producer was inspired by Jack Nicholson doing the same in 1994?
  • Naomi Watts lost her insurance, faced eviction, and almost quit acting after filming wrapped? It was her friend Nicole Kidman who urged her to wait until the release of the film before returning to Australia.
  • the Cowboy was played by Monty Montgomery, a producer and longtime friend of Lynch? Allegedly, during his scene with Justin Theroux, he kept forgetting his lines so Theroux had to hold cardboards with them written.