The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
It's good and all, but I don't have particularly strong feelings about it and thus didn't vote for it.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #7, Pan's Labyrinth...

It currently has a 95% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.2/10 score on IMDb (with 648,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"What makes Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth so powerful, I think, is that it brings together two kinds of material, obviously not compatible, and insists on playing true to both, right to the end. Because there is no compromise there is no escape route, and the dangers in each world are always present in the other. "
Meanwhile Ryan Gilbey, of New Statesman, said:
"We are never allowed to get truly lost in Pan's Labyrinth. The fantasy sequences are fetching when they should be intoxicating, while the scenes above ground are largely prosaic."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @MovieMad16 said:
"It really is in all honesty a foreign modern masterpiece. Not many fantasy films are as this emotional , this entertaining and this mystical as this. Del Toro is a directorial genius and its this film that has put him on the map , if not already."
And @mark f said:
"I'm not really sure how anyone could watch this violent film and think it's a kid's movie, but, as I say, the film is open to intrepretation. I interpret it to be an enthralling work of art, both heartbreaking and life-affirming"

Pan’s Labyrinth is fine, I’m not quite as in love with it as others.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My #17, Pan's Labyrinth, begs the question, "How does one differentiate between a fairy tale and a historical tragedy?" Are fairy tales just tragic historical stories which have been passed down through the ages to serve as warnings/object lessons for the young? Or do historical tragedies just lend themselves to becoming "fairy tales"? This film has fairies, history and tragedy, yet it's also uplifting, depending on your perspective and what you believe to be real. I think one of the great things about this film is your interpretation of whether you believe that evil can actually accomplish a good thing or if a child's innocence can see true evil and still interpret it as something which can be overcome, even through tragedy.

Set during the Spanish Civil War, the film tells the story of a terrifically scary and violent Captain (Sergi López) who brings his pregnant wife (Ariadna Gil) and stepdaughter Ofelia (the beguiling Ivana Barquero) to his remote war compound where he and his men try to quash the nearby rebels. One of the Captain's servants, Maribel (Maribel Verdú) becomes a surrogate mother to Ofelia as her real mother approaches childbirth.

Ofelia loves to read and is even reading a fairy tale at the beginning of the film which seems to tell and foretell her own life's story. Actually, this scene occurs just after the actual beginning of the film, which, coincidentally, is also the ending of the movie. Afterwards, Ofelia immediately becomes involved with fairies, a mystical faun, a labyrinth, and a series of quests she must accomplish to be able to reunite with her King and Queen parents and take her rightful place as a Princess loved by all.

The girl's inner life (or is it?) is contrasted with the Captain's world where torture, violence and oppression rule. I may be making this film sound deadly serious and oppressive, but actually it's full of life. The cinematography and editing are VERY alive and place you right in the middle of the story. I can appreciate the Wow! logistics and results of the photography of the wonderful Children of Men the same year, but even though it cost me a point in my annual Oscar voting contest, the cinematography of Pan's Labyrinth seems borderline 3-D and is truly spectacular, especially seen on a BIG screen.

Ultimately, it's up to each viewer to decide whether this film is realistic, a fairy tale, or a combination. It's also up to you to decide if the ending is sad or happy. Additionally, you have to decide if this film comments truthfully on the subject of the Spanish Civil War or does it actually "whitewash" it in the name of a kid's movie. I'm not really sure how anyone could watch this violent film and think it's a kid's movie, but, as I say, the film is open to interpretation. I interpret it to be an enthralling work of art, both heartbreaking and life-affirming.

My List

1. The Incredibles
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3. King Kong
5. Ratatouille
7. Downfall
8. Up
9. The Dark Knight
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
12. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
15. WALL·E
16. Children of Men
17. Pan's Labyrinth
19. The Pianist
20. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
21. Pride & Prejudice
22. Hotel Rwanda
25. City of Life and Death

Gollum always just looked like one ugly ****er to me. This is the first time I heard him called an "alien-looking thing." When I hear Alien, I think Xenomorph. When I hear ugly-ass, I think Gollum.

I didn't vote for Pan's Labyrinth, but I liked what I saw. It was deeply invested in its characters, even though I was hoping to see more of its fantasy world.

I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth since its original release but had high praise for it at the time. Guesses...

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Mulholland Drive
6. Spirited Away
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If you're taking submissions, I'd like to append the scene where Pippin sings to Denethor to the good list.

The beauty and sorrow of the song, coupled with the imagery of the doomed ride into Osgiliath is heartbreaking. It also highlights how little Denethor cares about his son and other the men of Gondor, as he dispassionately and disgustingly shovels food into his mouth. It's my favourite scene in the entire trilogy.
Yea there's a lot I've forgotten, I don't think I've watched ROTK in over 10 years.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So if I can get the last 6 right, it would be an impressive 8 movie streak to end it.

1. Fellowship
2. No Country
3. There will be blood
4. Eternal Sunshine
5. Spirited Away
6. Mulholland
1. Mulholland Drive
2. Fellowship
3. There Will Be Blood
4. No Country
5. Eternal Sunshine
6. Spirited Away

Pan's Labyrinth was #2 on my ballot. When I first watched it several years ago, I was really mixed on it, but a few years later, I rewatched it to stream to some of my Discord friends. I had a feeling I would enjoy it more, but what I wasn't expecting was for it to blow me away. This is the kind of film which nails so many aspects. The main soundtrack, in spite of its simplicity, is excellent, the performances are great, the blending of reality and magic realism is phenomenal, the ambiguity of whether the fantasy world is real or not opens up some interesting questions, the horror sequences are super memorable (especially the iconic Pale Man scene), and the ending is perfect. I definitely didn't expect this film to rank so high on my ballot, but I'm glad to see that my #2 ranking paid off.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (#78)
2. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
4. Children of Men (#17)
7. A Serious Man (#66)
9. 28 Days Later (#45)
11. Memento (#11)
13. Shaun of the Dead (#20)
15. In the Mood for Love (#12)
16. Requiem For a Dream (#16)
18. The Pianist (#31)
20. Moon (#48)
23. Sunshine (#88)
24. Zodiac (#9)
25. The New World (#99)

Obviously people love Pan's Labyrinth, so congrats on making the list so high.

Myself I wasn't a fan, which I guess proves just how differently my movie taste is from most everyone else's...which is fine with me

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

My last film to appear on The Countdown at #6, is Pan's Labyrinth.

As stated multiple times previously, I am a fanboy of Guillermo del Toro; his love and admiration for creatures and the supernatural is a beautiful thing to behold and this movie is one of his best.
A dark sojourn like any true Grimm-like fairy tale, we see the cruel dangers of both our reality and the reality of the underworld via a young girl's extremely difficult travel through the labyrinth of both of them.
Del Toro does not hold back either, especially when it comes to the violence inflicted by the Captain and the imaginative creation of the creatures that inhabit the quests young Ofelia must face.
The tension never really lets up, especially when it comes to the rebellion forces inhabiting the woods looking to remove the tyrant and excessively volatile Captain.
On first watch, these two extreme worlds may seem a bit jarring. I know on my original watch I had wished for more of the fantastical than the war story. But in retrospect, and in continual re-viewings, I see the delicate balance of the two and the flawless blending that creates this excellent story and film.
The filming and composition are rather exquisite with the use of shadowing that adds a kind of dark life all its own on many of the interior shots and even the woodland shots have this old forest feel to it.
Everything works exceedingly well in this movie, including the pacing that grips you and holds you to the very last moments.

Films Watched 69 out of 94 (73.4%)
1. Amélie (#16)
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (#21)
3. Ratatouille (#23)
5. Gladiator (#40)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
8. The Incredibles (#36)
9. V for Vendetta (#58)
10. The Dark Knight (#10)
11. WALL·E (#13)
13. Memories of Murder (#27)
14. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
17. Mother (#96)
18. The Departed (#19)
20. Memento (#11)
21. In the Mood for Love (#12)
22. Downfall (#28)
23. Quills (#67)
24. Oldboy (#22)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)

Awards

Now to the awards received by Pan's Labyrinth...

• Academy Award for Best Cinematography (Guillermo Navarro)
  • Academy Award for Best Art Direction (Eugenio Caballero & Pilar Revuelta)
  • Academy Award for Best Makeup (David Martí & Montse Ribé)
  • BAFTA Film Award for Best Foreign Film
  • BAFTA Film Award for Best Costume Design (Lala Huete)
  • BAFTA Film Award for Best Make-up & Hair (José Quetglás & Blanca Sánchez)
  • Saturn Award for Best International Film
  • Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Young Actor (Ivana Baquero)
  • EDA Award for Best Picture
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Foreign Language Film of the Decade
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Visual Design (tied with Paprika)
  • Empire Award for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy
  • Golden Schmoes Award for Trippiest Movie of the Year
  • Imagen Foundation Award for Best Actress (Vaquero)
  • Imagen Foundation Award for Best Director (Del Toro)
  • Imagen Foundation Award for Best Picture
  • Satellite Award for Best Motion Picture

Among many, many others.

With Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro joins the group of directors with multiple entries on the countdown. He had previously placed The Devil's Backbone at #75.

Other eligible films of his were Blade II (that made the One-Pointers), Hellboy, and Hellboy II.

This is the kind of treatment of fantasy I like a lot more than the epic high fantasy of LOTR. Pan's Labyrinth was my #21, but I should note when I did my own list of favorites from the decade, I had it at #2. Sadly, while I watched it several times when it came out, I haven't seen it in probably over a decade and figured it wouldn't have the same level of impact. But it's definitely a great film and deserves to be in the top ten.

My List:
3. Synecdoche, New York (#46)
4. Inglourious Basterds (#18)
5. The Dark Knight (#10)
6. Let the Right One In (#29)
8. Sin City (#47)
13. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (#53)
14. The Lives of Others (#41)
16. The Royal Tenenbaums (#35)
17. Memento (#11)
18. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
19. The Incredibles (#36)
20. Lost in Translation (#32)
21. Pan's Labyrinth (#7)
22. The Man Who Wasn’t There (#84)
24. Moon (#48)

First time I watched Pan's Labyrinth I think I turned it off after about 15 minutes, but something about it made me go back... glad I did.
Del Toro's finest movie I think.
---
1. Moon (2009) - 48th
4. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - 7th
6. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - 20th
7. Zodiac (2007) - 9th
8. Sin City (2005) - 47th
9. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - 15th
10. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - 8th
11. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - 57th
13. Cast Away (2000) - 69th
14. WALL·E (2008) - 13th
18. The Dark Knight (2008) - 10th
20. Unbreakable (2000) - 62nd
21. Gladiator (2000) - 40th
22. Watchmen (2009) - 87th
23. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 63rd
25. Inglourious Basterds (2009) - 18th

Pan's Labyrinth was a movie that I've only seen once, but it's certainly stuck with me after all these years. It's mixture of fantasy with the horrors of war is fascinating and truly plays with your emotions. I loved it but since I haven't seen it but once so I felt it unfair to include on my list. Glad to see it place so high on the list.

#2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8
#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

Guillermo del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth was #18 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List, #68 on the MoFo Top 100 Refresh, and #10 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Trivia

Pan's Labyrinth

Did you know that...
  • Guillermo del Toro started to work on ideas for the project in 1993?
  • part of the story was inspired by a dream del Toro had when he was a child, where a faun would step out from behind a grandfather clock?
  • Doug Jones was the only one on set that didn't speak Spanish?
  • GDT has hinted that there are many connections between this film and his previous one, The Devil's Backbone?
  • Björk wrote the song "Pneumonia" after being so affected by this film?