The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Dark Knight - saw it about five years ago.

Batman Begins was artistically and story telling acceptable as well as entertaining watchable with good screenplay. The following The Dark Knight was obviously commissioned by the investor's office that's why quite mediocre screenplay and subsequently very low level and not very pleasant for watch. Even collossi of cinema like Michael Caine and Gary Oldman, specially commissioned to save the production couldn't save it. Just stick to Batman Begins and skip the other parts, there are so many better things to do...

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Ironically, for how much I liked Batman Begins, I never saw all of The Dark Knight. I got the Blu-ray from Goodwill along with the Inception Blu-ray back in 2019 but still never got around to watching it.

Awards

Now to the awards received by The Dark Knight...

• Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor (Heath Ledger)
  • Academy Award for Best Sound Editing (Richard King)
  • BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Ledger)
  • SAG Award for Best Supporting Performance (Ledger)
  • SAG Award for Best Stunt Ensemble
  • Saturn Award for Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film
  • Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor (Ledger)
  • Saturn Award for Best Writing (Christopher & Jonathan Nolan)
  • Saturn Award for Best Music (James Newton Howard & Hans Zimmer)
  • Saturn Award for Best Special Effects
  • AFI Award for Movie of the Year
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Motion Picture
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Supporting Actor (Ledger)
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Cinematography (Wally Pfister)
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Editing (Lee Smith
  • Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Ensemble
  • Golden Globe for Best Supporting Performance (Ledger)
  • Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack
  • Satellite Award for Best Sound Mixing and Editing

(I won't deny that it hit me particularly hard, not only to see Ledger's family accepting the award, but also seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman — alive and well — being the first nominee addressed)

Here is an interesting compilation of interviews with Heath Ledger about his performance as The Joker...

Trivia

The Dark Knight

Did you know that...
  • screenwriter David S. Goyer cited the DC comic The Long Halloween as a major influence on his storyline? His initial treatment had Joker scarring Harvey Dent during his trial in the third film.
  • director Christopher Nolan asked his brother and co-writer Jonathan to watch Fritz Lang's The Testament of Dr. Mabuse? Nolan referred to the film as "essential research for anyone attempting to write a supervillain".
  • according to Heath Ledger's vocal coach, Gerry Grennell, he had to continuously lick his lips due to his prosthetic coming off? He eventually made this a tic of the character as he was filming.
  • the reasons that Bruce Wayne gives Lucius Fox for a new batsuit design are the same reasons why Nolan wanted a new design as well?
  • Nolan didn't use a second unit during filming, thus overseeing every shot?
  • Ledger won 32 posthumous Best Supporting Actor awards? from the Oscar and the Golden Globe, to BAFTA, SAG, and numerous others.

No hint again, but start throwing your guesses for #9. See who nails it.

I forgot the opening line.
10. The Dark Knight : I went through a period where I'd watch The Dark Knight a lot - and it was this installment of the Nolan Batman trilogy alone - I've seen the other two only a couple of times. It was more than just The Joker and Heath Ledger's performance - this film was simply an excellent crime movie in which nihilism faced off against existentialism instead of a heist or assassination. Everything in this film is writ large, to an overwhelming extent - and The Dark Knight Rises tried to even outdo that, but the focus of this film was tighter and there were no loose ends to tie up. Ledger's Joker was a great trump card on top of all of that, and was what left the largest impression once the credits started to roll. This film would have got votes from me, but there were other films that my list simply couldn't do without, so unfortunately The Dark Knight was cut. If I'd had of been compiling my list a few years ago, this might have come in near the top of it.

Seen 78/91

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I don't know if that means I'm right or wrong, but if it's the latter, I'm going to guess Mulholland Drive every time for the rest of the game. That way, I'll ensure that I'll be right at least once.

I'll stick with Fincher's Zodiac as my guess for numero niner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not that it would help with the guess, but just one of those useless countdown trivia facts... the point gap between #10 and #9 is of 26 points, which is another of the biggest five gaps in all the countdown (previous one was 23 points between #18 and #19).

The luster has worn just a tad on TDK. It fell out of my top 10 movies when I did my count down. If I were in my 20s it would probably be top 5. It came out when I was 21 so it was basically my generations blockbuster. I still love it but over time my taste has matured.I tell you what the movie has it's flaws but chances are the people who give it any hate on here probably didn't experience it in the theaters. It's still probably my favorite theater going experience. My sphincter tighten every time Heath was on screen and that semi they flipped legitimately took my breath away. Whatever you think of the movie seeing Nolan and Heath deliver that grand spectacle on a big screen was an unforgettable experience for me. Big entertaining cinema done right like that is the reason the theater going experience is worth saving. That makes it worthy of top 10 on this countdown alone.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)