ethereal films

Tools    

Really? I mean, I like Inception a lot, but it feels like the exact opposite of "ethereal" to me, with all its exposition, all-business storytelling, and its endless rules governing the dreamworlds; in other words it's an extremely literal, Nolan-y take on the central concept, for lack of a better term. A movie that I think fits that description much better would be Aguirre: The Wrath Of God, with its haunting Popol Vuh score, sloth-like pace, and surreal imagery/tone, even during its more disturbing moments; it's probably the movie that comes the closest to just feeling like a straight-up fever dream, now that I think of it.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
Really? I mean, I like Inception a lot, but it feels like the exact opposite of "ethereal" to me, with all its exposition, all-business storytelling, and its endless rules governing the dreamworlds; in other words it's an extremely literal, Nolan-y take on the central concept, for lack of a better term. A movie that I think fits that description much better would be Aguirre: The Wrath Of God, with its haunting Popol Vuh score, sloth-like pace, and surreal imagery/tone, even during its more disturbing moments; it's probably the movie that comes the closest to just feeling like a straight-up fever dream, now that I think of it.

I see your point. I found the layers of bending reality and symbolism disorienting. Especially the late scene in the ruined coastal city I thought was quite ethereal. However, I may be cherry-picking scenes to reach that conclusion. I almost didn't include it on my list, so it doesn't surprise me that there would be objections to the choice. Fringy at best.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
i weirdly didn't dig this film the first time around but i immediately felt like i needed to give it another go at some point and it did spring to mind when i was making this thread. there's a decent chance its exactly what i'm looking for lol.

"What Drams May Come" was the first film I thought of. Ridley Scott's "Legend" a quick second. Not sure how good they are, but they are certainly strongly ethereal as I understand the word. Aronofski's "The Fountain" and "Mother." "The Others" Antonioni's "Red Desert." Sci-fi: "The Arrival"and "Inception"
actually now that i think about it The Fountain is on the right track. if i hadn't already seen it it may have scratched this itch. it has an opulence to it that i didn't immediately clock as part of the vibe i was looking for. and Red Desert is a top 5 all-time for me because of those vibes. something with the aura of The Fountain and the texture of Red Desert would be like the perfect film lmao.

I may be stating the obvious but how about Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast?
weirdly the magic of that one didn't hit me as much as some of Cocteau's other work. solid film nonetheless and i think the fairy tale angle is what i might be looking for or at least some low fantasy type stuff.

I see your point. I found the layers of bending reality and symbolism disorienting. Especially the late scene in the ruined coastal city I thought was quite ethereal. However, I may be cherry-picking scenes to reach that conclusion. I almost didn't include it on my list, so it doesn't surprise me that there would be objections to the choice. Fringy at best.
Yeah; I mean, it is a very good movie on the whole, and there are some surreal/etheral-ish moments, like the opening on the beach, or the city folding in half, but a lot of Inception is still made up of characters straight-forwardly giving verbal exposition to each other, like here:

Victim of The Night
watched this a few days ago and while it didn't quite tick these specific boxes for me i think the fairy tale angle is on the right track for some reason.
I loved it. But I think I know what you mean. Maybe "otherworldly" is a better word for this one.

"What Drams May Come" was the first film I thought of. Ridley Scott's "Legend" a quick second. Not sure how good they are, but they are certainly strongly ethereal as I understand the word. Aronofski's "The Fountain" and "Mother." "The Others" Antonioni's "Red Desert." Sci-fi: "The Arrival"and "Inception"
I also immediately thought of What Dreams May Come (1998), but while definitely ethereal, it also has a dark edge to it.

Another movie about the afterlife: Defending Your Life (1991) - this one an introspective comedy (and one of those films where each time I watch it I come away with something different).

I loved it. But I think I know what you mean. Maybe "otherworldly" is a better word for this one.
i also loved it . otherworldly is still in the right ballpark. i'll also throw in "heavenly" as a workable keyword.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Would these fit the bill?

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Walkabout
The Spirit of the Beehive
El Sur

I'll give Picnic at Hanging Rock a strong second.

First thing that jumped to mind when "ethereal," was used was Videodrome, but I don't think that's what's being asked for here.

Next to come to mind is The Iron Rose.
And sure, why not? Jess Franco's A Virgin Among the Living Dead. That has a sleep-walking feel to it. October wasn't that long ago for me.