344 points, 24 lists
WALL·E
Director

Andrew Stanton, 2008

Starring

Ben Burtt, Elissa Knight, Jeff Garlin, Fred Willard

Hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

(I used this same opening for two previous entries and someone mistook it for Kill Bill, so I decided to play on that)

WARNING: spoilers below

Blood, blood everywhere (obviously KB is full of blood...)
Guns, stabs, bites (from guns, swords, knifes, etc.)
Blood on the screen (blood again...)
Messing my nice whites (reference to O-Ren Ishii's final fight, but also to the predominant white in the last act of WALL-E)

Outside is cold (reference to space, but also to the snow in O-Ren Ishii's final fight)
Below is dirty (Earth is dirty, full of trash)
Will we get there?
Maybe in thirty (jab at how much we have left before the Earth becomes the WALL-E Earth)

Find all of them (all of the ones from The Bride's list)
Follow her through (follow EVE)
Whether for payback (payback like The Bride)
or for love too (or love like WALL-E/EVE)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Wall E was my 18. It's a great film.

Kill Bill is ok but shouldn't be this high. Unfortunately everyone's obsessed with Tarantino movies.

Seen both, voted for ONE...

Kill Bill Vol. 1 was my #9. Even though I like to think of it as one big film, I tend to lean more towards the first one as my favorite. It has what I think are my favorite sequences, which is pretty much everything with O-Ren Ishii (the anime sequence, her introduction, the final fight). I love the way the film sets up everything, but all the fights are impressive. It's one of my favorite films to revisit.

I saw WALL-E a while ago and although I appreciate it and respect it, it didn't resonate with me that much.

How many is that?...

Seen: 71/88

My ballot:  

I liked Kill Bill. 1, but it was a bit drawn out. I liked 2 more because it was more story based.

I found Wall-E to be cute and charming, but predictable. Though the last time I saw it was in junior high...

When I first saw the marketing for WALL·E, I was a little hesitant to see it. I initially didn't like the design of WALL·E the character (he looks a bit too much like Johnny 5 from Short Circuit), but I decided to see it anyway because I trusted Pixar to make a quality movie. And they certainly didn't betray that trust. The movie is an absolute treat with breathtaking animation, a fantastic romance, and adorable characters. It became an instant favorite and placed at number 12 on my ballot.

I hated Kill Bill.

Seen: 54/88

My Ballot:
1. Quills (#67)
2. Gladiator (#40)
3. Up (#33)
5. Ratatouille (#23)
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
12. WALL·E (#13)
14. The Departed (#19)
21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#63)
24. Inglourious Basterds (#18)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

As mentioned before I quite like both parts of KB but having not watched them for ages neither Kill Bill Vol. 1 nor the second part made my ballot. WALL·E on the other hand was one I did watch in prep for this countdown and I love it just as much now as I did when I first saw it and it was always gonna be highly ranked by me.

Seen: 60/88 (Own: 41/88)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [15]
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009) [18]
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006) [17]
13. Amélie (2001) [16]
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008) [13]
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Seventeen down, nine to go...

I don't have anything new to say about Kill Bill vol 1 that I didn't already mention when vol 2 appeared on the Countdown earlier. Probably don't need to say it wasn't on my list haha.

WALL·E is another film that has an absolutely fantastic start, but unfortunately goes in a direction that doesn't interest me as much after. I've seen it twice: once in theatres, and again for the Animation HoF. While I initially hated everything that took place on the spaceship, I found it a little more compelling the second time through. I neglected to consider it for my list though.

Seen: 55/88

My List:
02. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - #15
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
09. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #20
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Love Kill Bill, but I wasn’t going to vote for both. Thought one would be higher but this is quite a jump and that surprises me.

Wall-E is another really good Pixar that I saw once, liked, but didn’t vote for.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Hopefully, that is the end of the cartoons...
Mary and Max?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is a solid set-up for the epic saga. Is everyone aware that Tarantino stole part of The Candy Snatchers (1973) as inspiration?

I'm pretty sure that most people realize that WALL·E , my #15, takes place in the year 2815 and begins on Earth where the only things which seem to be "alive" are a small robot who tries to clean up the trash and an especially-resilient cockroach-type creature. All the humans left the planet 700 years earlier on a huge spaceship which was designed by the mega corporation/world government called Buy and Large, with the intention of only being away for about five years. There were apparently millions of WALL·Es left behind, but now there seems to be one, and shortly after the film begins, he finds green plant life growing in the soil.

Soon a spaceship appears and leaves a probe behind to search for signs of life. This probe is called EVE, and it is like nothing WALL·E has ever seen before. In fact, although WALL·E (ostensibly playing a male) is frightened by EVE's seemingly violent nature and firepower, he finds himself attracted to her as a companion along the lines of the ones he sees in the film version of Hello, Dolly! which he watches repeatedly. Eventually, both machines find themselves on the huge spaceship where the descendents of the humans who left 700 years earlier live blissfully unaware of their history or potential. OK, that wasn't as brief as I intended.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It creates a barren, grimy Earth, a beautifully inviting Solar System and a unique vision of human life on a spaceship far in the future. It succeeds on all levels of storytelling for me. I especially loved the homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Thomas Newman's magical musical score is one of the two best I've heard in 2008, along with Carter Burwell's terrific In Bruges score. I'm also happy about who they used as the voice of the ship's computer. I can believe that some people may find it to be a kiddie movie, but I think it's far too romantic and thought-provoking to relegate it to that realm. I also didn't find myself being swamped by the film's message of conservation vs. consumerism as many others have. I thought the film's overriding message was one of humanity, and if it takes some non-human "creatures" to help us rediscover our lost humanity, that's OK with me. I don't find WALL·E to be a political film along the lines of Persepolis; that's for sure.

My List

1. The Incredibles
5. Ratatouille
7. Downfall
8. Up
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
12. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
15. WALL·E
16. Children of Men
19. The Pianist
21. Pride & Prejudice

Seen: 68/88

Never was a big fan of Short Circuit but I love WALL-E.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is my #8. Couldn't choose between vol. 1 & 2. Really like the O-Ren Ishii character/anime and the story behind the Hatori Hanzo blade so I picked this one for my ballot.

Ballot: 16/25

14. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (340 points) - I quite like both Kill Bill's as far as Tarantino goes but it didn't get considered as one of the greats of the decade.

13. WALL-E (344 points) - Think I watched it once with my children. Not my bag baby.

A system of cells interlinked
I think I still prefer Kill Bill Vol. II a bit more than the first, but I like them both well enough. Vol II didn't make my list, so obviously, I wasn't going to make it, either.

Wall-E is great, but I had that weird rule of not filling my list with too many Pixar flicks, so it ended up getting cut fairly early.

Tarantino nabs his third entry in the countdown, joining Wes Anderson and the Coen brothers as the only ones so far with three films in.

Meanwhile, Andrew Stanton places his second film in, after having Finding Nemo at #44. He also becomes the fourth director to go 100% (2/2), along with Edgar Wright, Pete Docter, and Brad Bird. Along with the last two, it marks an impressive showing from Pixar, placing 6 out of 7 films so far (maybe Cars still has a chance? )

Both of these titles make positive jumps from the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List: Pixar's WALL·E was #21 there while Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 was #46. WALL·E was also all the way up at #4 on MoFo Top 100 Animated Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

movies can be okay...
Wall E was my 18. It's a great film.

Kill Bill is ok but shouldn't be this high. Unfortunately everyone's obsessed with Tarantino movies.
Kill Bill is a great film. Almost made my list.
Wall E is ok but shouldn't be this high. Unfortunately everyone's obsessed with Pixar movies.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke