The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wut, 2nd best imo (and I was in it). ROTK easily weakest (same argument I get involved in every LOTR countdown .

The Two Towers, is class all the way through.
I feel the same tbh.
ROTK I felt was a little too dependent on CGI, especially after the first two were so dependent on actual production value.
I think even Jackson said he wished he'd used less CGI on King.

I think Towers stands out more for me though compared to King, because the aforementioned Helm's Deep battle was the first time something that epic had been seen.
It suffers a little from middle-movie syndrome, as a lot of people say it has no real beginning or ending and feels disjointed because of that... but yeah, I'm the same, Fellowship>Towers>King...

Same, it's like a bi-monthly thing for me on a Saturday.
I got the extended cuts on DVD and happily sit through them for 12 hours, pigging out to chocolate and Doritos
We prepare hobbity suppers like bread bowls with dumplings. It mixes up every year. And of course, there's always...

A system of cells interlinked
Amelie was my #2 overall. To be fair, I did cheat it up a bit to try to give it some extra points.

LOVE Amelie, even if it had sort of faded back a bit for me over the years until a relatively recent revisiting. Pretty much a perfect film, as far as I am concerned, with a completely adorable lead, amazing technical presentation, memorable music, and a clever and overall really fun screenplay. Real rating is perhaps around #5 or so, but I wanted to give it a little boost in hopes it would make Top 10. Alas...

The Two Towers... is most certainly my least favorite of the trilogy, with the caveat that I think it is the film that suffered most for the edits that were made to the theatrical cut. The Eowyn/Aragorn stuff doesn't work anywhere near as well in the shorter cut, with most of their thread excised for time. The extended cut is clearly better, IMO. Helms Deep is awesome. Still, this is too high on this list!

We prepare hobbity suppers like bread bowls with dumplings. It mixes up every year. And of course, there's always...

Could try some Lembas substitute by using shortbread

I saw Amelie once and thought it was fine.

Two Towers is my least favorite of the trilogy due to some pacing issues but it’s still excellent.

AméIie is a delight to watch and I was very happy to be able to give it quite a few points here after it just missed out on making my FL ballot. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers is my least favourite of that trilogy (but still good) and was a relatively early cut from my list of possibles, it's quite a bit higher than I expected it to be but not really surprised at all.

Seen: 58/86 (Own: 39/86)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [15]
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009) [18]
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006) [17]
13. Amélie (2001) [16]
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Sixteen down, ten to go...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Amélie is a gorgeous souffle of a romantic comedy, overflowing with visual and verbal humor as well as a fair share of surrealism. Some might find it too dense for something so light, but it's definitely able to produce non-stop smiles. If you don't understand French, you'll have to watch the beginning three or four times to even understand what's going on. That's how fast the editing, narration and dialogue are moving.

The Two Towers is my #12. It introduces my favorite character, Gollum, turns most of the film into a medieval battle, and then accentuates that battle up the yin-yang.

My List

1. The Incredibles
5. Ratatouille
7. Downfall
8. Up
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
12. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
16. Children of Men
19. The Pianist
21. Pride & Prejudice

Seen both again. The Two Towers was my #6. Prior to the latest rewatch of the trilogy, I had it as my favorite of the three, but now it's been surpassed by the first part. What can I say, I've been a fantasy (and Tolkien) fanboy all my life. Amélie is OK. I've seen it twice (last time for some HoF). I like its visuals and Jeunet is a good director, but the story just doesn't do much to me.

Seen: 45/86

My Ballot:
1. Let the Right One In (2008) [#29]
5. Watchmen (2009) [#87]
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [#15]
8. The Descent (2005) [#80]
18. Battle Royale (2000) [#77]
25. Harry Brown (2009) [1-pointer]

Two Towers was #23 on my list. It's my favourite of the trilogy. But I only saw extended version. Helms Deep was epic and Gollum in it was most satisfying. The other two Lord of the Rings are lower on/higher on my/forum lists.

Saw Amelie once when it came out and thought I was going to hate it but I didn't, enjoyed it a lot actually.

Arise arise Brohirim, riders of Brohan!
The Two Towers is my #1. I love Fellowship equally but figured this one needed more help/votes.

Seen: 66/86

Ballot: 15/25

It's funny that he messages others saying it's "a bit he's doing", but he doesn't message me who's the one he keeps pestering with his insufferable whining.
My two cents worth. I deal a lot with eighty year olds and they are not normally this crotchity.

"Lord of the Rings" has always been my favorite read, since first espying it on a library shelf in seventh grade. Re-read them a few times later on in life. Jackson & Co. did a marvelous job of bringing this story to the big screen. Seen and own all the dvds. My little world sees it as one story, broken into three parts. It would definitely in my top five, if seen only as one story/film.

"Amelie" has a sweetness to it that I loved when first viewed. But after a few rewatches, it doesn't have the same effect. Back then: Yes, on the ballot. Today: Doesn't cut it.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was #23 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List and #42 on the MoFo Top 100 refresh. Amélie was #10 on the Millennium List, #34 on the original MoFo Top 100, missed the reboot, and finished at #18 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I expected The Two Towers to place much lower on the Countdown, because I know many consider it to be the weakest of the trilogy. I am not one of those people, as I absolutely love it - particularly the Extended Cut. The extra scenes added elevate this entry more than the ones added to Fellowship and RotK do. I found the story in Rohan really interesting, and damn that Rohirrim theme better play at my funeral. This is the most tragic and sombre of the LotR films, and was on my list at #2.

Amélie on the other hand was not. I have watched it three times in an attempt to see what others love about it, and I have vowed never to bother again. I will concede that it is a very pretty film, but that's all the positive praise I have for it.

Seen: 53/86

My List:
02. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - #15
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
09. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #20
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Helms Deep is a GOAT level movie battle.