The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
oh yeah so to reiterate: L'amour braque was like impossible to find so just message me for the link unless you want to watch a jacked up copy in two parts on dailymotion.
I'll take one of those. Please and thanks.

Also, I have a great link for Baby Face so if anyone needs one. . .

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And now I'm going to finish this entire thread right now.

Safety Last!: It's good.
Raiders of the Lost Ark: It's good.
Magical Girl: It's good.
Baby Face: It's good.
Apocalypse Now: It's good.
True Romance: It's good.
Jaws: It's good.
My Dog Skip: It's good.
Midnight Cowboy: It's good.
Witness for the Prosecution: It's good.
Dolores Claiborne: It's good.
Cure: It's good.
The Secret of Roan Inish: It's good.
L'amour Braque: It's good.

Well, I guess it's time to submit my ballot
That looks like a REALLY TOUGH ballot to list lol

I'm still trying to decide whether to join or not. I guess I'll do this pre-emptively, anyway...

Safety Last!: I may have seen this as a child, but I'm not sure. I definitely don't remember anything, though. Should be at least watchable.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: I've seen this quite a few times. I do prefer The Temple of Doom, but this is pretty good too.

Magical Girl aka Magična devojka: Never even heard of this. Kinda hard to know what to expect, but being a cricket nomination I suppose it's not all fluffy.

Baby Face: This was on my watchlist for the 30s top-100 but, as usual, I didn't watch anything for that. Somewhat interesting.

Apocalypse Now: I've meant to rewatch this for a while now. I think I've seen it twice (didn't really like it as a kid, though it was OK as a young man). If I join, I'll go with the redux as I haven't seen that.

True Romance: Saw this in theater, and don't remember too much. I didn't hate it back then, but I don't think I loved it either.

Jaws: Another that I've meant to rewatch anyway. I remember liking it, but not as much as mark does.

My Dog Skip: This one doesn't look like my kind of film.

Midnight Cowboy: Saw this a while back and thought it was mediocre. Not too excited to watch it again.

Witness for the Prosecution: Not a fan of courtroom dramas so I haven't seen this.

Dolores Claiborne: I'm almost certain I've seen this. If I'm correct, I didn't particularly like it.

Cure: This one is great. Watched it last year and I think it's the second-best by this Kurosawa after Pulse.

The Secret of Roan Inish: Never heard of this one, but it kinda looks like my kind of film. I just wish it was R-rated.

L'amour braque aka Mad Love: Never heard of this.

Lots of rewatches on this one if I join. Personally, I'm not too thrilled about these mega-classic nominations that everyone has already seen, but that's just me. We'll see what I'll do but no promises either way.

oh yeah so to reiterate: L'amour braque was like impossible to find so just message me for the link unless you want to watch a jacked up copy in two parts on dailymotion.
Was that the movie link I found for you? If so I know where another copy is at but it needs subs added for English speakers.

Nice bunch, and it's nicer that I've seen a good chunk of them

Safety Last! (1923) - Saw this in 2019. It was my first Lloyd film and I enjoyed it a lot. Wouldn't mind revisiting it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Oh my Gawd, how many times have I seen this? Love it I don't think I need to rewatch it, but if I can sneak it in, I will. It's been a couple of years.

Magical Girl (2014) - This is one I hadn't even heard of, but looks like something I might enjoy.

Baby Face (1933) - Haven't seen it, but I usually dig pre-Code films, so it should be fun.

Apocalypse Now - Have seen it multiple times. Last time was in 2019. Love it. Like Raiders, if I have time, I can sneak in a rewatch, but this is one that's pretty fresh in my mind.

True Romance (1993) - I don't think I've seen this since the 90s. Remember loving it, but for some reason, never got back to it. Should be fun to revisit it.

Jaws (1975) - Another one I love and that I've seen a good bunch of times.

My Dog Skip (2000) - I think I skipped (pun intended) past this back in the day. Never got around to it. We'll see.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) - This is one I've had on my radar for a very long time. Should be fun to finally get around to it.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - See above.

Dolores Claiborne (1995) - Like I said when I sent my nomination, I've seen it a couple of times but the last one was probably late 90s, early 2000s. I remember it leaving a strong impression back then, so I've always meant to rewatch it.

Cure (1997) - Haven't seen it but definitely looks like my jam.

The Secret of Roan Inish (1994) - Never heard of it. I've only seen one Sayles film (Eight Men Out), so it should be interesting.

L'amour braque (1985) - Another one I hadn't heard of, but I also have no experience with Zulawski, so bring it on!

That looks like a REALLY TOUGH ballot to list lol
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I like the good film more than the good film, but the good film is also worthy of praise.

I'll do the usual first thoughts, I'm on a work break...so quickly.

Safety Last! (1923)
Love silent films, but never seen this one. Excited to watch it! I use to watch Harold Lloyd when I was a kid as they rerunned his old silent shorts on TV...gee that sounds funny

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Am I the only one who hasn't seen this like a bunch of times? I seen it twice, the last time was 20 years ago. So I'm do for a rewatch.

Baby Face (1933) I still can't believe this didn't make the 1930s Countdown I hosted. I even used an image from the movie in the artwork for the countdown. I love pre-code films and this is one of the best...Barbara Stanwack is one of my all time favs, so excited to rewatch this.

Apocalypse Now I was hoping someone would nominate this as I mentioned watching it to the wife but she didn't want because of the water buffalo killing. I think both versions have that scene? I've seen this once back in the early 90s.

Jaws (1975) Fantastic movie and I had a hunch it was going to be picked, if not I would've snagged it in a future HoF. Been a few years since I seen it and looking forward to a rewatch...I like Jaws 3D too

Midnight Cowboy (1969) Seen this for the first time in the third Personal Recommendation. I was surprise at how much I liked it, I think I scored it 2nd just behind Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. I should go look to be sure.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
I've seen this a couple of times and it's a favorite, great actors, great story.

Dolores Claiborne (1995) I seen this long ago and can hardly remember it so I will rewatch.

I haven't seen these:

My Dog Skip (2000) I've often really liked Siddon's noms, and I know he puts a lot of thought into what he chooses...this one looks pretty neat.

True Romance (1993) I've wanted to see this for a long time and was hoping it would get nominated so I could. Every actor in this film is tops by me!

L'amour braque (1985) I seen a bit of this would I looked for a link for Ueno but I didn't watch the film yet.

I haven't read about these and never heard of them, but their movie posters look pretty cool

Cure (1997)

The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)

Magical Girl (2014)

Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor, 1923)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/13/22
Rewatch: Yes.

I originally watched this in 2019 in preparation for the pre-1930s countdown (which I think I ended up not voting in) and was largely unimpressed. I liked the stunts well enough (though for me they pale in comparison to Buster Keaton's The General) but found the comedy aspect lacking. I rated it a 3- at the time.

Watching it again tonight, I liked it even less. Not only did the comedy still not work for me, but one particular scene that I hadn't remembered from before left me with a queasy feeling. That cat gag is not okay. Handling cats like that is not okay. Ever. And that puts this in the running for last place on my ballot.

-

The Secret of Roan Inish (John Sayles, 1994)
I had recently watched The NeverEnding Story and was still in that vibe so I decided to start with the seemingly only family film of the nominations. To be honest I don't even really know what to say about this other than that its nice. It's a nice time, I like that its nice, but I don't really know what its offering other than that. There's a couple moments where the magical elements really feel like something (the boat in the fog and the ending scene in particular) but I don't know, I guess I wanted more magic and whimsy. Was also hoping the atmosphere would have swept me up a little more than it did. Never quite "felt it" like that, y'know? Yeah idk its nice and i liked it. Also I'm jealous of the girl's hair.

It's pretty short and it's on YouTube.
In case this helps for Apocalypse Now-

"The animal (a water buffalo, or carabao) was killed - but not for the film. The tribe in the film was a real indigenous tribe that lived in the area, and they had already decided to slaughter it. Coppola merely decided to film the event and edit it into the film."

In case this helps for Apocalypse Now-

"The animal (a water buffalo, or carabao) was killed - but not for the film. The tribe in the film was a real indigenous tribe that lived in the area, and they had already decided to slaughter it. Coppola merely decided to film the event and edit it into the film."
Yeah, I'm aware of that, which is the reason why Safety Last! might well place below it. Since apparently the concept of Safety Last applied to animal actors as well. But the fact that the buffalo in Apocalypse Now was not slaughtered for the film won't make it any less disturbing to watch. Outside of an animal rights documentary, I don't want to see that s***.

My Dog Skip (2000)
Haven't seen this before. A little googling mentions animal cruelty but a cursory reading of reviews doesn't say whether that cruelty is real or fake. Not looking forward to this.

All of the violence in the film is off screen

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Geeze, Jaws, Raiders, Witness and Apocalypse? Wow.....

Love True Romance too.

Suspect's Reviews

My Dog Skip (2000)

I had to pause the movie while watching it and the scene it paused on was that one right up there. I though to myself damn that's a great image. Well low and behold I find that image was also used for advertising the movie.

Luckily there was no real animal violence and all the fake violence was done off screen, so yeah for that. I liked this and it reminded me of TV's The Wonder Years, even though I never seen that show...don't ask how it can remind me of it, it just does. At the start of the film I thought for sure this was a lesser known Ron Howard film complete with brother Clint. But nope Ron didn't direct it.

The kid was good, the dog was good, the film looked good and had a nice smooth pacing...what more could I ask for.

Thanks Siddon

I forgot the opening line.
@Citizen Rules - I don't know if you remember our conversation about my next nomination at the end of the 26th HoF, but little did we know we'd be trying to nominate the exact same film in the 27th. Had Raiders lined up since then, and got a shock when @edarsenal let me know that my nomination had already been nominated. I bet you that doesn't happen too often. Anyway, in my opinion, if you ignore the rest of the hoopla and franchise after it, Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably the best film ever made - so to that particular one. Jaws was always going to come later on down the track from me, but it's been bumped up to this crowd of pretty big films.

Safety Last! I've always been curious about. I think I've only ever seen one Harold Lloyd film, and I believe it was a talkie that utilized some previous silent footage of his - never seen one of his good ones. Nice to see the silent era represented again, and always nice to see a film I've been meaning to see anyway in a Hall of Fame.

Magical Girl I know nothing about, but looks good. I have not seen any of Carlos Vermut's films, so this might see me veering off in a direction I would normally never have gone, ala Vera Chytilová with the last Hall of Fame.

Baby Face I haven't seen, but I believe I recently bought on DVD, so if that's actually true I did so because I have a strong yearning to see it. A good sign.

Apocalypse Now - I can finally dust off the deluxe special edition Blu-ray and not only watch the film but give all the special features a good go and reacquaint myself with this classic, which I've of course seen a few times.

True Romance I was once crazy over. I guess it's time to refresh my memory and see if I still see as much in it. I don't think I've sat down and watched it again properly for a decade or two.

My Dog Skip - I think I mentioned already that I might be shocked and appalled by Siddon's pick, which was deviously teased as some kind of hard-to-watch horror film. Now I have to watch My Dog Skip instead.

Midnight Cowboy "Eeeeeverybody's talkin' at me....I don't hear a word they're sayin'....." Yeah - this is a classic. I've seen it many times.

Witness for the Prosecution - Saw this for the first time only a few months ago when it cropped up on a 'Top 100' thread. Was mightily impressed.

Dolores Claiborne - I haven't seen this for ages - but I still remember the scary sick lady reaching out...Not a bad film to catch up with again.

Cure - Never heard of Cure but I'm excited about seeing it as it looks 100% fantastic.

The Secret of Roan Inish - I have no idea about this whatsoever, but it's highly rated. Perhaps this Hall of Fame's biggest mystery as far as I'm concerned.

L'amour braque - This will be my introduction to Andrzej Zulawski - crumbsroom has given my great hope that it might be a good direction to go in by adding his opinion here.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)