The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen both, voted for neither. Requiem for a Dream is a very good film, an 8/10. City of God was underwhelming for me,just a 6/10 from me.

26. Requiem for a Dream (223 points)
25. City of God (233 points)

Both extremely good films. Especially City of God which has some stunning cinematography. But they just missed out on my list unfortunately.

Expanding on these...

Some hint facts...

WARNING: spoilers below
  • One of tomorrow's entries is from a returning director on the countdown. (this is Aronofsky's second film here)
  • One is a "foreign" film. (City of God is from Brazil)
  • One of them featured only one professional actor. (most of its cast were locals and not experienced, and only Matheus Nachtergaele was a "professional")
  • Robert Altman said about one of these entries, "I think it's the best picture I've ever seen" (he said this of City of God)
  • Both of the films are based on the novels that were published roughly 20 years apart. (Requiem for a Dream was published in 1978, and City of God in 1997)
  • In preparation for their roles, a director requested two of his cast members to "refrain from having sex and consuming sugar". (Aronofsky asked Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans to do this)
  • Cast and crew members had to use locals as security guards. (when filming in the Brazil favelas, cast and crew were asked not to bring outside security)
  • There's a total of 5 Oscar nominations between both films. (Requiem had 1 nomination, City of God had 4. No wins)

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Requiem for a Dream once many years ago and did find it lived up to its shocking, unforgiving reputation reasonably well - however, I look back and wonder if it was actually that good (enough to buy a cheap DVD, albeit one I'm not sure I'll ever rewatch). City of God made it onto the 2005 edition of my Top 100 but it's another film that hasn't really felt like it's worth revisiting - I know this for sure because I did revisit it last year and found it to only really be a 7/10 (which is about what I ended up giving Belly - sorry, Suspect).

I've seen both, but voted for neither. I recall City of God being very good, but I've only seen it once. I meant to rewatch it for this countdown but life got in the way. Even so, it probably would not have made my ballot simply for the fact that there are too many well established personal favorites from this decade.

As already said, I don't like Requiem for a Dream or anything else I've seen from Aronofsky.

Seen: 45/76

Desperately need to see City Of God again, but just based off my first watch I had it at 22. Really pulled me in. I’m almost always in the bag for crime stuff anyway, but this one is special in my opinion.

On the other hand movies about hard drug addiction are usually not up my alley and Requiem was no exception. I don’t know what it is, maybe the characterizations in them, but they always lack a true hook for me. Didn’t hate Requiem by any means, just was never going to make my list and not something I will likely revisit.

Seen both, voted for ONE...

Requiem for a Dream was my #11. A truly harrowing portrayal of the descent into addiction with some excellent direction and perfect performances. It really got to me to the point that we bought the DVD about a decade ago, because we thought it was so great, and we still haven't brought ourselves to watch it again.

City of God was also a very hard watch, in how it portrays the violence that engulfs this kids. I did see this one a couple of times, but haven't really seen it in about a decade or more, so I left it out.

How much is it now?...

Seen: 59/76

My ballot:  

With today's entries, Darren Aronofsky joins the list of directors with multiple entries. He had The Wrestler at #54 and now Requiem for a Dream at #26. Do you think The Fountain has any chance for him to go 3/3?

I've seen the last four, once each. I don't remember many specifics from Memories of Murder or City of God, but I think I liked them. Downfall I remember a bit better, and it was pretty good too. I'm afraid that the memes might have destroyed that one scene, though. Requiem for a Dream I don't remember liking that much, and that seems to be in line with my experiences with Aronofsky in general. At least some of these would deserve a rewatch.

Seen: 38/76 (finally back to 50%)

Requiem For A Dream is four-star good but was never really in contention for a spot on my list, I also don't really get why so many people say they find it such a tough fillum to watch as I found nothing particularly disturbing in it City Of God is also very good and definitely was in contention but just lost out in the last round or two of cuts I had to make.

Seen: 49/76 (Own: 33/76)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003)
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)
14. Children Of Men (2006)
13. Amélie (2001)
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006)
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Four down, twenty-two to go...

we bought the DVD about a decade ago, because we thought it was so great, and we still haven't brought ourselves to watch it again.
Ha! Same here. This is one of those films that are seared into my brain despite the fact that I've probably only watched it 3 times at most in the past 22 years. Maybe only twice, in fact. Using my highly unscientific ranking process I decided it was the "best" film of the decade and ranked it #1.

My interpretive dance is only available to my OnlyFans members, I'm afraid. Age-restricted, of course.

Seen both of them.

Requiem For a Dream was on my ballot at #16. Even if you haven't seen the film, you've probably heard about its reputation as a horrifying film and it certainly lives up to that. A lot of this has to do with the terrific craft that goes into the film. Aronofsky scares you in so many ways with such an immense variety of editing/camera/lighting techniques that occur one after another at such an unbearably fast rate that watching it is akin to a complete and total assault on your senses as it wears them down, inch by grueling inch.

As an aside, Ellen Burstyn not only gives the best performance in the film, but also the single best horror movie performance by any female actress. She captures the curiosity and blind faith of her character, while simultaneously conveying her feebleness and vulnerabilities and how she's at the mercy of her dangerous lifestyle. It's a truly fantastic performance.

City of God didn't make my ballot, but it's also really good. I haven't felt the need to revisit it yet (I may do it eventually though), but I found it to be a disturbing gangster film which, instead of presenting gangster life/violence in a sensationalized or exciting way, focuses more on the disturbing/harrowing bits to it. Overall, I have a lot of respect for it and, though it gets its fair share of backlash for being a gateway foreign film, I still think it has a lot to offer.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (#78)
7. A Serious Man (#66)
9. 28 Days Later (#45)
16. Requiem For a Dream (#16)
18. The Pianist (#31)
20. Moon (#48)
23. Sunshine (#88)
25. The New World (#99)

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #26, Requiem for a Dream...

It currently has a 79% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.3/10 score on IMDb (with 807,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★½ and said:
"What is fascinating about Requiem for a Dream, the new film by Darren Aronofsky, is how well he portrays the mental states of his addicts. When they use, a window opens briefly into a world where everything is right. Then it slides shut, and life reduces itself to a search for the money and drugs to open it again. Nothing else is remotely as interesting."
Meanwhile Wesley Morris, of San Francisco Examiner, said:
"It's one of the most beautifully unpleasant movies ever made -- its reverse charge being that it is no fun at all."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @77topaz said:
"It is definitely a very dark and disturbing film, and at times it is almost painful to watch, thanks to how well the effects are executed, and that’s perhaps the only thing that keeping me from giving this film a full five-star rating. Thanks to its disturbing nature and content, this is not a film for everyone, but if you feel up to it, this is certainly a film I would recommend you to see."
And @Gideon58 said:
"Hubert Selby's screenplay, based on his own book, pulls no punches and offers no apologies for this twisted look at drug addiction that, to the uninitiated viewer might seem a little over-the-top, but for those who have ever dealt with addiction or love someone who has dealt with it, there are emotions and events and images presented here that have a basis in reality. Aronofsky's bold directorial vision and some spectacular performances, especially Ellen Burstyn, make this film worth watching...it's not an easy watch, but there are rewards to be had here and it might actually make you think twice the next time someone offers to buy you a beer. "

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #25, City of God...

It currently has a 91% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.6/10 score on IMDb (with 731,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"City of God does not exploit or condescend, does not pump up its stories for contrived effect, does not contain silly and reassuring romantic sidebars, but simply looks, with a passionately knowing eye, at what it knows."
Meanwhile J.R. Jones, of Chicago Reader, said:
"I came away from this film impressed by its narrative control but unmoved by anything it had to say."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @seanc said:
"I would consider City of God a great crime drama. The story is extremely well told, with many interesting memorable characters. This is the kind of movie that is still with you weeks or months after you see it. I am looking forward to revisiting it in the future."
And @LordSlaytan said:
"What I liked best about City of God is how real it all seemed. The people who starred in this did an amazing job making it really appear as if it were a documentary. It does a good job at showing the hopelessness in an environment that is completely unforgiving and doesn’t give a quarter to the children either."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Dislike both of them. I never really understood the love for City of God.

I feel Requiem had good performances but the story really didn't do much for me. I should see it again sometime so I can have a fresh perspective in which to dog the film .

At least we were smart and didn't have City of God in the top 10 this go around. I just remember it putting me to sleep.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)

A harrowing tale of what addiction and desperation can do to people. Absolutely terrific performance from Ellen Burstyn. She gives so much to the role that it earned her a Best Actress Nod, a well deserved one. That would be the only nomination the film would get.

Aronfsky is a polarizing director, offering up Black Swan one moment and Noah the next. He's a guy that I look forward to seeing what he can create because it will have some sort of affect on me, good or bad. Requiem was a film that knocked me off my feet when I first saw it. The low budget gritty style works with the themes incredibly well. The film famously has an incredibly amount of cuts (roughly 2,000) which again puts the viewer in the headspace of an addict. It's frenzied, chaotic and depressingly beautiful.

A hard film to revisit, but one that is well worth your time.

10. City of God (2002)

This film is listed in my top ten of all-time, yet it makes #10 here. That is simply because I need to re-watch this film to reassess it. It's been years, but man...what a powerful film this is. I think back to the scene when the kid is told to choose between which child he needs to shoot. Harrowing scene that has stuck with me to this day because of the ear piercing cries from the young child. What a horrible position to be in for everybody.

Maybe the first foreign film I watched that really stayed with me. I would have been roughly 15 or 16 when I watched it and it opened up my world to films from other countries.

Fernando Meirelles would go on to direct one of my least favourite films I've seen, Blindness, but this film is magnificent. I want to watch it again, but ever since becoming a father I've found myself more open emotionally to movies. I guarantee that this film would hit me harder than it did in my youth.

And how dare you Iro....how dare you put this on the same playing field as Belly.

Suspect's Reviews