The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Also, since I am Steam "friends" with a few folks here (Yoda, Sedai, Tacitus), if I have the Steam client open, a little notification can pop up in the lower right quadrant of my screen to tell me that Yoda is now playing NERTS!
This happens a lot!

And btw, I have been gaming recently, but both games I am playing (AC Unity and RDR2) use their own launchers, so I haven't been using Steam.

The Adventure Starts Here!
This happens a lot!

And btw, I have been gaming recently, but both games I am playing (AC Unity and RDR2) use their own launchers, so I haven't been using Steam.
It does happen a lot! Sometimes three times in the same hour with NERTS!

Is there a benefit to not using Steam to launch? Frankly, I appreciate knowing that I've logged more than 400 hours in, say, Stardew Valley. Gives more focus to my prayer life, for instance.

It does happen a lot! Sometimes three times in the same hour with NERTS!

Is there a benefit to not using Steam to launch? Frankly, I appreciate knowing that I've logged more than 400 hours in, say, Stardew Valley. Gives more focus to my prayer life, for instance.
I usually use Steam, but those two developers insist that their own launcher be used instead. There is a way to add the games, and the launchers themselves, to Steam, but I saw no need for the extra layers.

(btw, have you sent your book club ballot in?)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
So the big question then, it is NOT a subscription pay-to-access gateway?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
I don't really use Steam much these days, but I'd be happy to share mah deets if anyone wants another friend.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I don't really use Steam much these days, but I'd be happy to share mah deets if anyone wants another friend.
You know it!

It is not!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This just randomly came back to me, but about two weeks back I was showing my nephew the PS exclusive, Spider-Man, because he was jealous having an xBox. As I played it, it reminded me older games titled Prototype and Infamous. I just couldn't remember the name of it (I was remembering Prototype). Last night I finally thought to google the name and found it. Along with a few articles stating that, apparently, a game that would have been a tie-in to a possible Spider-Man 4 sequel was cancelled and recycled for Prototype II. I'm not kidding here. Both Prototype II and the current PS4 Spider-Man games feel and play just like each other. Well, at least first cousins. I'm kind shocked this game got so much praise on release considering its a lesser version of a much older game. In my opinion of course.

It is not. Free program that manages your games, easily links you to reviews and community stuff for each, and lets you "follow" them for updates and wishlist games to be notified when they're released OR go on sale.

Not only does it not cost anything, their only semi-competitor now is trying to gain market share by spending millions of dollars giving away free games just to get people to use theirs instead.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok, this too is a flatscreen-first game. Have a VR take on it

First Look: Valheim [VHVR Mod]

VR Mod Stuff:

Ok, so this mod is pretty darn great. Easy install, motion controllers, neat solutions to menus (wrist displays for map and health etc), tons of options (decide which info you want where etc). I haven't got to the spear throwing or bows, but wouldn't be surprised if they work fine. There's obviously been a lot of thought and work thrown at this.

Literally my only gripe would be that they only have an HMD-relative locomotion option (with no controller-relative support). But it feels churlish to mention it, because you can run straight into this and play (After the slightly disorientating opening cut-scene, where you're seesawing halfway up a giant roc's butt...)

My scrubby screengrab really doesn't capture just how charming this world is, with its dense forests, slanting light, shifting mists, and charming music. So have an example vid:

Game Stuff:

As to the actual game, I'm still just finding my way, but it's clear that time could be lost in these grassy dells and woody glens. I've mainly been smashing wood, hiding in long-grass trying to sneak up on deer, and just poking all the systems. But the end result is:
  • The first 3 times I died, it was because I walked on my own fire while building the house.
  • The next 3 times I died, it was because I woke up from my bed trapped in the fire smoke, and suffocated

And currently I've placed a block of wood over my own doorway, don't have the wood to build a new axe, and can't get out . So I think I'm gonna have to start a new save...

It looked indie-beautiful throughout though, and was all great

Currently playing Free Fire on mobile, started off playing pubg mobile but find controls and gameplay better on free fire. Oh man they’ve given me a cat to fly into battle with now, I just won with a record 13 kills, it was immense.. I’m getting so good at it’s freaking me out. I can’t put it down.

Anyone else play free fire

Have a scrubby VR Valheim vid. I bumped into my first troll...

(The night time hunting that follows probably isn't that discernible. And you don't get to see any of the lyrical daytime forestry stuff unfortunately. But hey, there's some dusk and dawn in there. And the sound of me being perplexed by hidden gecko creatures in the middle...)

have u guys heard the news about PSVR 2? https://www.ign.com/articles/psvr2-v...mparison-specs . im excited to see what its going to look like. i deffo gonna get it .i havent played psvr since early last year :/
Yeah, good to hear they're still serious about the VR world. Headset specs sound good, should be a big step up from the current ones. Especially on quality of life stuff.

(Currently I'm more excited about the Hitman 3 VR port coming over to PCVR this month though. Proper hand input and all that. Should be grand )

Just beat Resident Evil Village. Great game. Gonna spend some time in the Merenaries mode.

Also, I'm back to Tekken 7 and Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - this time I'm here to stay. Want to improve my gameplay in both games.

Wanted to see how Dark Souls 3 ran on the new rig, so I fired up, just to check it out for a couple of minutes. Of course, that meant playing through an entire DLC, helping some people out with some boss fights, and doing some PVP for a while.

Looking forward to Elden Ring in February.

Also @John McClane - I tried to add you as a friend, but a user search didn't bring you up. Can you PM me your user number?

Thanks!

Wanted to see how Dark Souls 3 ran on the new rig, so I fired up, just to check it out for a couple of minutes. Of course, that meant playing through an entire DLC, helping some people out with some boss fights, doing some PVP for a while.

Looking forward to Elden Ring in February.
I'm kinda waiting for the Elden Ring too. I really liked Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, never really played Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 felt too damn fast-paced for me. Maybe Elden Ring is good for me, again, please

I'm kinda waiting for the Elden Ring too. I really liked Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, never really played Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 felt too damn fast-paced for me. Maybe Elden Ring is good for me, again, please
Fair point. Bloodborne's influence on play speed was clear in DS3. My play style (no shield, lots of rolling and dodging) works well with the faster speeds, so I prefer those games, even if there will never be another game experience for me that matches my first play through with Dark Souls. That said, the first game falls off for me in the last third, while DS3 only gets better as the game progresses. DS 2 is an odd duck, and easily the worst of the bunch for me, but it is still worth playing, and is not a bad game, IMO.

Ok, I think I get why Valheim is getting all the love now.

^^look I did the corner wrong alright^^

I kept seeing buzz about it, and half dismissing it because of the fuzzy graphics. But there's some real love and skill in here. And a large amount of it seems to have been lavished on how they generate their procedural biomes. The savings they've made with the low-poly look seem to allow the landscapes to come alive with other touches, from swaying long-grasses, stylistic wind indications, and just the right density of flora and fauna. The meadows, forests and swamps blend with each other seamlessly, and transform with the weather, leading you easily from a bit of incidental wood chopping, to a spot of mushroom picking down the hill, to pausing breathlessly in the shadows as you track a distant downwind deer (after a glimpse of its silhouette in a sunlit plain, or more often, after catching a distant barking call).

The starter zone is honestly just a chill-fest to semi-grind your way around. (Although I can see already that the grind-requirements are going to be traditionally daft :/).

I can't really judge how the combat and other mechanics play out in the standard game, because I'm swinging axes and clubs by hand. But the majority of the 'tasks' seem painless to flow through. (I kinda like that you can either devastate the natural area around your base, or chose instead to prune the forests of dead wood as you go instead. Given that sending pines trees crashing into each other in an organic domino rally is kinda fun and effective, I definitely did a lot of that. But I feel all woodsmanly and humane going about it the other way now . And leaving my homestead environment all pretty like.)

From the art of not suffocating yourself in your homebrew shacks, to realising you can tame the wild hogs (by getting them to chase you over hills back to the pen that you’ve made ), there's loads to get lost in. (When you're not getting distracted by the light between the shifting trees dance over your latest construction that is... . All daft and pixelated. But all satisfyingly there.)

And this is all starter stuff. The viking spirit boss battles, and ship exploration through the elements (and deformable voxel terrain) are supposed to be grand

Yeah, good to hear they're still serious about the VR world. Headset specs sound good, should be a big step up from the current ones. Especially on quality of life stuff.

(Currently I'm more excited about the Hitman 3 VR port coming over to PCVR this month though. Proper hand input and all that. Should be grand )
i know right i hope it will be easy to set it up and easy controllers like oculus quest 2. i havent played my psvr since last year cause its like 15 mins to set it up =/ but i deff gonna trade my psvr to psvr 2 deal with ebgames. im excited for it hope it like oculus quest 2 or fit headsets on it also. i agree.

really are they gonna release it =o i know psvr 2 is releasing Horizon Call of the Mountain for psvr 2 im excited for that game