2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Way too many franchises, between Marvel, Classic Disney and Pixar any list you have is going to either cluttered or omitting most classics.
I'm quite sure mine would be omitting all those franchises. I'm mainly concerned about the overlap with many other major genres (like a good portion of sci-fi and all supernatural horror should count as fantasy as well).

I'm quite sure mine would be omitting all those franchises. I'm mainly concerned about the overlap with many other major genres (like a good portion of sci-fi and all supernatural horror should count as fantasy as well).

Yeah but how many of your picks would end up on a top 100?

The problem with taking on a genre that's as massive as "fantasy" is you are basically just reorganizing titles that have already been picked.

The problem with taking on a genre that's as massive as "fantasy" is you are basically just reorganizing titles that have already been picked.
Isn't that these lists in a nutshell?

Welcome to the human race...
Way too many franchises, between Marvel, Classic Disney and Pixar any list you have is going to either cluttered or omitting most classics.
Yeah, well, that's the risk we take with all these lists - that they won't reflect the "best" of the genre (however you or I may interpret that) and simply whatever manages to be the most popular among a voter base that encompasses everyone from casual viewers to hardcore cinephiles. Even with a top 100 list, there are always going to be classics that simply don't make the cut, but I still remain optimistic that the users can at least come up with an interesting list and I'm not about to assume that the most popular fantasy titles being some variation of Disney product is going to automatically shut out the likes of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast or Svankmayer's Alice.

**Checks films available from fantasy tab in letterboxd catalogue**

Yeah Fantasy could be a good list to do.

Yeah, well, that's the risk we take with all these lists - that they won't reflect the "best" of the genre (however you or I may interpret that) and simply whatever manages to be the most popular among a voter base that encompasses everyone from casual viewers to hardcore cinephiles. Even with a top 100 list, there are always going to be classics that simply don't make the cut, but I still remain optimistic that the users can at least come up with an interesting list and I'm not about to assume that the most popular fantasy titles being some variation of Disney product is going to automatically shut out the likes of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast or Svankmayer's Alice.

It's not really a "risk" when it's been the case with the last what three of these countdowns.

Fantasy Countdown=Lord of the Rings wins again

Fantasy would be boring as so many fantasy films have already made the other countdowns. We need something fresh for the next countdown....With War, Noir, Musical and Comedies not many of those have made the past countdowns.

It's not really a "risk" when it's been the case with the last what three of these countdowns.
I mean, at this point you're basically saying the worst part about making collaborative lists is the way other people's opinions ruin them.

As others have noted, a lot of these concerns/critiques are inherent to the collaborative list making process itself. Obviously it's not for everyone.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I mean odds are that Lord of the Rings tops a fantasy list in the same way that 2001 tops a sci-fi list or The Shining tops a horror list, but even assuming the top spots are a given it's still interesting to see how things shake out as a whole. Part of the appeal of these lists isn't just a matter of seeing your own opinions represented, but also creating a representative cross-section for the list topic.

I'll say/agree that a list is more fun when there's genuine tension about what will "win," but yeah, lots of fun to be had in finding out what just makes the cut, which films unexpectedly jump or drop (which always happens), etc. Those other things are also the reason always trying to reduce lists to what's included, regardless of order or change over time (let alone the discussion when they appear, which is one of the best things) is such a two-dimensional way of thinking about them.

I mean, at this point you're basically saying the worst part about making collaborative lists is the way other people's opinions ruin them.

As others have noted, a lot of these concerns/critiques are inherent to the collaborative list making process itself. Obviously it's not for everyone.
No what I'm saying is the worst parts of these lists is that you are just shuffling the same titles around.

Whats the point of doing a list that is a 75%-80%-or even 95% retread

You also have to deal with bias if you are doing the 10's afterwards so you might have three countdowns with the same films at the top.

For me, the bottom half of these top lists are usually more interesting than the top half. The higher ranks we get the "safer" the films become. The most interesting surprises and hidden gems are usually quite down on the list, and those are the ones I'm most curious about.

I'm guessing? when the time is right Yoda will make a new What's Next Countdown thread with a poll of the most popular choices for the next one...and then we'll all vote. How many choices are there on a poll?

No what I'm saying is the worst parts of these lists is that you are just shuffling the same titles around.
I think there's a pretty big difference between shuffling titles around the same list and shuffling them across different lists (the latter being what we've discussed in the past). Every single time we move from a narrower list to a broader one, we find some films that did very well in one do kind of poorly in another, which is always interesting.

Also, part of this is just the sheer size of them. When the lists are as big as 100, I think it's more realistic to expect intrigue not in what's included, but in how far they move.

Whats the point of doing a list that is a 75%-80%-or even 95% retread
Answered preemptively just above:
lots of fun to be had in finding out what just makes the cut, which films unexpectedly jump or drop (which always happens), etc. Those other things are also the reason always trying to reduce lists to what's included, regardless of order or change over time (let alone the discussion when they appear, which is one of the best things) is such a two-dimensional way of thinking about them.
There's a degree to which these films are just creating a structure to revisit and discuss things (which is, not coincidentally, pretty much a capsule description of a forum in the first place). It's also very important to remember that, even when a lot of the films on these lists are well-known, plenty of people simply haven't seen them, and are encouraged to do so by that selfsame discussion.

I don't think the lists are a good way to discover films you haven't seen if you've seen a lot of them, though, and I think to get that way they'd have to be very narrower and very exclusionary and involve much lower forms of participation, to the point where they wouldn't be much more useful for that purpose than just starting a thread and soliciting opinions from individuals.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Musical, Comedy not limited and War with a host who gives good definitions and boundaries. I'd say any of those three
'Musical War Comedies' it is then!
Who wants to host?

(Oh! What A Lovely War ftw! )

Musical just makes sense. There's lot of fans here who have waited for something like this to happen.

It's been five years you should do another Musical Hall of Fame and see what the interest level is at for that

Which is a good reason to do one...most of the people who did the last one are gone.
I hosted the Musical Live Action Hof Unless you mean the Musical Artist HoF which was hosted by SilentVamp. I'd probably be up to doing a couple HoFs to support whatever genre we pick for the next countdown.