2022 Golden Globe Nominations (Film)

Tools    

And that simple deflection lacking perception. It’s perfectly fine to ignore countries that adhere to these same principles without raising an eyebrow, but somehow expect The US based awards to not?
No idea., I never see anybody complain about the Venice film festival etc. But I wouldn't ignore it, I'd be interested in the opinions voiced.

None of these movies really need any of these awards. Is Titane being ignored for a globe going to hurt its chances in its own countries? The average movie fan isn’t going to care.
No idea what you mean by 'In it's own countries'. You only have to look a Parasite to see how many people watched it and got into that type of cinema because of the praise it was given.

Instead it's a closed shop generally, and the mass marketed heavily bribed films made in the same corners of the world in the same language, get nominated for these things, year in year out, because they have the most backing. I get that some people are fine with that. But some find it tedious and unhealthy.

This is why I put more stock in the film festivals, lately. Far more diverse, as we’ve both pointed out, and far more likely to yield a gem.
True, but again, the average filmgoer doesn't even know what a film festival is.

The trick is not minding
No idea., I never see anybody complain about the Venice film festival etc. But I wouldn't ignore it, I'd be interested in the opinions voiced.

No idea what you mean by 'In it's own countries'. You only have to look a Parasite to see how many people watched it and got into that type of cinema because of the praise it was given.

Instead it's a closed shop generally, and the mass marketed heavily bribed films made in the same corners of the world in the same language, get nominated for these things, year in year out, because they have the most backing. I get that some people are fine with that. But some find it tedious and unhealthy.

True, but again, the average filmgoer doesn't even know what a film festival is.
Right. I doubt many of the average film goer actually bothered to watch Parasite, despite its win. Cinephiles were already aware of this before it even got a nomination.

All of these awards mean nothing, in the end. It doesn’t determine a films worth. That’s up to the beholder.
For what it’s worth, though, I enjoy going through the various countries own awards and finding films to watch through them that never made it stateside, typically.
A lot of gems discovered this way.

Surely all films available in the US are 'released in the US market'?

One of the things I'll do is go through the foreign and documentary short lists but for some of those noms I'll have to wait six months to over a year for them to become accessible.

The point of awards like the GG and AW are for acknowledgment and promotion or artists and art if it's out of market work it really shouldn't be nominated. You also have a time limit for what the voters can actually see.

I watched Belfast the other night. It was a very pleasant film, and nicely done, but I can't detect what it was in the movie that is considered awards material.

Perhaps it was the editing or cinematography.

The music was repetitive and became irritating. If there were one more song by Van Morrison I would have gotten physically ill.

The acting was good, especially from the young boy (Jude Hill). It was also nice to see Judi Dench ply her craft.

Perhaps there simply weren't enough good pictures this year to make much of a choice.

After seeing Licorice Pizza earlier today, no matter what other Oscar nominations the flick may get I sincerely hope Bradley Cooper gets a nod for Supporting Actor. Frickin' hysterical.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I was surprised that Paul Thomas Anderson didn't get nominated for best director and that Maggie Gyllenhaal did get nominated. I'm happy that CODA got nominated for best picture, Lady Gaga got nominated for best actress, and Anthony Ramos got nominated for best actor. I don't think Tick, Tick Boom deserved a nomination for best musical/comedy though. In The Heights was a much better film and should have been nominated instead. My predictions in some categories:

Best drama- Power of the Dog
Best musical/comedy- West Side story
Director- Jane Campion
Drama actress- Kristen Stewart
Drama actor- Will Smith
comedy actor- Andrew Garfield
comedy actress- Rachel Zegler
supporting actress- Kirsten Dunst
supporting actor- Kodi Smit-Mcphee
screenplay- Licorice Pizza
Original score- Dune
I loved Tick Tick Boom, but agree that In the Heights was a little better.

Will Smith should win Best Actor at every award show this year, including the Oscars. Same goes for Lady Gaga.

The only movie that I've seen worth the win for Best Picture is Don't Look Up. Dicaprio deserves the nomination, not so much Jennifer Lawrence. The Power of the Dog will probably win even though it bored the hell out of me. I need to see Licorice Pizza, and it's crappy that PTA was snubbed for Best Director.

West Side Story was very well produced, but does it deserve all the accolades? No. It's a scene by scene remake of the original.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Eh, had no intention of watching any award shows this year since I've watched hardly any new movies.
I've only seen three of the nominated films and all of them are animated - Luca (good but didn't love it), Raya and the Last Dragon (Meh), and Encanto (didn't like it, too much singing).

Andrew Garfield wins best actor in musical/comedy. His performance was fantastic, but the film (Tick, Rick, Boom) was just ok. I think he will go on to get an Oscar nod, but won't win the Oscar.

As I predicted:

No Time to Die wins best song
Dune wins best score
Will Smith wins best actor (drama)
Kodi Smit-McPhee wins supporting actor

In a bot of a surprise, Nicole Kidman wins best actress. I thought it would go to Kristen Stewart. Jane Campion wins best director! No surprise there!

The Power of the Dog wins the Golden Globe for best motion picture, drama, as I expected. I don't think it deserves it though. There were several other better films in 2021, but oh well. Congratulations to them.

Looking like Power of the Dog is going to be the film to beat down Oscar time.
The Power of the Dog started off good but eventually bored the hell out of me. I don't know what everyone loved about it so much.