Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Oh yeah. I read all about it after looking online to confirm my suspicion about what was going to happen to the mice.

Just what the actual hell.

I'm getting tired of having to read a ton about movies and spoil the plots/endings just so that I don't have to watch actual animal torture and murder.
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a database for this kind of stuff (or at least I couldn't find one). I lean on the IMDB parent's guide, but those aren't always that thorough (except when they're bizarrely thorough).

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a database for this kind of stuff (or at least I couldn't find one). I lean on the IMDB parent's guide, but those aren't always that thorough (except when they're bizarrely thorough).
I'm pretty sure I saw a site that listed instances of animal cruelty on film, but I can't remember. I was actually Googling about it once I read Tak's post, but couldn't find it. Or maybe I'm imagining things, who knows.

I'm pretty sure I saw a site that listed instances of animal cruelty on film, but I can't remember. I was actually Googling about it once I read Tak's post, but couldn't find it. Or maybe I'm imagining things, who knows.
There is such a site
Does the Dog Die

I regularly use the site Citizen posted, Does the Dog Die. (As in, if I type "do-" into my browser, it automatically is like, "Oh, I know where you want to go!"). But their site is somewhat limited because it is user input. They don't have an entry for this film, nor do they have one for the last film I watched (Strike), nor for the one I am currently watching (Boat People).

Duplicate Account (locked)
Death of a Prophet (1981)

A little pompous and propagandist, but the film moves along pretty smoothly and is a good length, Morgan Freeman as more of a youngster

I regularly use the site Citizen posted, Does the Dog Die. (As in, if I type "do-" into my browser, it automatically is like, "Oh, I know where you want to go!"). But their site is somewhat limited because it is user input. They don't have an entry for this film, nor do they have one for the last film I watched (Strike), nor for the one I am currently watching (Boat People).
Wait, is Boat People on the Criterion Channel already?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
what is with the number of people who are cool with making and consuming art where animals are actually tortured?
What's with the number of people who are all touchy about that? Don't mean to be rude but it's only recently that I started noticing people taking an issue with that and adding content warnings to film reviews (not just "animal cruelty"). It's as if people want to create a safe space and never let art penetrate it. Everybody became touchy and sensitive. It's one thing to make such scenes. But watching them? Eh dunno seems an exaggeration. Other content warnings include rape, self-harm, misogyny and what not. Sorry but sometimes you need to expose yourself to some bad stuff to recalibrate and get a fresh perspective. We're not talking about opposing making films with such contents but opposing watching them. These are 2 different things. The second seems pretty snowflakey (sorry if that's offensive)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What's with the number of people who are all touchy about that? Don't mean to be rude but it's only recently that I started noticing people taking an issue with that and adding content warnings to film reviews (not just "animal cruelty"). It's as if people want to create a safe space and never let art penetrate it. Everybody became touchy and sensitive. It's one thing to make such scenes. But watching them? Eh dunno seems an exaggeration. Other content warnings include rape, self-harm, misogyny and what not. Sorry but sometimes you need to expose yourself to some bad stuff to recalibrate and get a fresh perspective. We're not talking about opposing making films with such contents but opposing watching them. These are 2 different things. The second seems pretty snowflakey (sorry if that's offensive)
Call me crazy, but I think there's a difference between real life animal cruelty and "rape, self-harm, misogyny and what not" that are staged for the movie.

Watching animals (or any living thing) be tortured/harmed is viscerally upsetting for me. It is absolutely not the same as upsetting content that is simulated by actors and equating those things is totally bonkers from my point of view. Frankly I'm not that interested in debating content warnings with someone who doesn't think there's a difference between staging a rape scene with actors and shoving a needle through an animal's head.

What "fresh perspective" am I going to glean from watching someone torture mice? Or impale a cat on a fence?

And further, from my point of view, yeah, shame on people for consuming such content. Consumption drives creation, and if no one was willing to consume art that featured actual abuse, there probably wouldn't be as much art that featured actual abuse. "Oh, I'm not a fan of filming actual child molestation, but why critique people who watch it?".

I forgot the opening line.

By scan, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12247977

Three Colours: Blue - (1993)

Finally on my way through this Kieślowski trilogy. The first film had a lot of interesting stuff going on visually, not to mention the use of orchestral music to signify something deeply personal for it's main character, Julie (Juliette Binoche). Julie has just lost her husband and young daughter in a car accident, but she doesn't go through the usual process of grieving. Julie tries to free herself from grief altogether by abandoning her former life completely, severing ties and selling all her property. Is it possible to isolate yourself like this, and if so what are the effects? This is a very poetic and artistic film with an interesting performance from Binoche who is both stricken and at the same time determined to shut herself off from all the pain. For Kieślowski, there are many "ahh, look what he did there" moments which I enjoy noticing a lot these days - so overall I enjoyed the film a great deal and look forward to seeing the next two in the trilogy to be able to stand back and judge the work as a whole.

8/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 63/100

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Victim of The Night

By scan, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12247977

Three Colours: Blue - (1993)

Finally on my way through this Kieślowski trilogy. The first film had a lot of interesting stuff going on visually, not to mention the use of orchestral music to signify something deeply personal for it's main character, Julie (Juliette Binoche). Julie has just lost her husband and young daughter in a car accident, but she doesn't go through the usual process of grieving. Julie tries to free herself from grief altogether by abandoning her former life completely, severing ties and selling all her property. Is it possible to isolate yourself like this, and if so what are the effects? This is a very poetic and artistic film with an interesting performance from Binoche who is both stricken and at the same time determined to shut herself off from all the pain. For Kieślowski, there are many "ahh, look what he did there" moments which I enjoy noticing a lot these days - so overall I enjoyed the film a great deal and look forward to seeing the next two in the trilogy to be able to stand back and judge the work as a whole.

8/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 63/100
This is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Let me put it this way, Scott Adkins could do the John Wick films (they’re even tapping him for part 4) but I don’t think Keanu could do half of the aerial acrobatic kicks that Adkins is asked to do in virtually any of his films, especially without the benefit of wire work that he was afforded in the Matrix films.
I'll hop in once more as I think I now understand better the differences in our opinions. The above quote is there only because of its reference to the acrobatics (and to tag you, of course).

To me, aerial acrobatics are mostly gymnastics, not martial arts. Some arts have them in practice, but they're mostly just meant to develop certain kinds of athleticism. That sort of stuff may look great in movies, but more often it's just stupid (IMO) like Adkins trying to finish a downed opponent with a knife by lunging into the air, doing horizontal triple lutz, and landing flat on his back beside his foe.

The ability to do such acrobatics doesn't define a "true" martial artist. It doesn't say anything about one's ability to fight, either. If it would, the Olympic gymnasts would be the greatest martial artist of all time. That way of fighting is just one style of cinematic fighting and apparently, it's a style you prefer.

I have no doubt that Scott Adkins can do many things Steven Seagal never could. Based on their credentials, I'd still rather call Seagal a master martial artist than Adkins. Despite possibly being an ass and a pathological liar, Seagal still has real and high credentials in Aikido (as far as I know, much more than Adkins has in any martial art). More importantly, though, I much prefer his style of cinematic fighting and the fact that in his films every crook he meets isn't a martial arts expert.

But yeah, I do like Adkins but at the same time, I wish he'd be in better (and better choreographed) movies.

But yeah, I do like Adkins but at the same time, I wish he'd be in better (and better choreographed) movies.
This is the crux of my entire argument. Adkins is better and more capable than virtually any of his western contemporaries but has been relegated to the DTV market.