Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Behind Enemy Lines (2001)
Directed by John Moore

Saw this once before years ago on TV when that used to be a thing and really liked it. Figured it was time for a re-watch and pleased I did. An easy to watch, loosely based on fact action drama about a downed US Navy airman Lieutenant Chris Burnett (Owen Wilson) who finds himself - unsurprisingly - behind enemy lines in Bosnia. While rescue efforts led by his commander (Gene Hackman) are hampered by indecision and political motives, Burnett uncovers evidence of genocide and battles to evade capture. Among his pursuers is a relentless stereotypical arch villain, made properly amusing by way of his adidas tracksuit. Plenty of action and incidents make it an exciting ride from start to finish. There's loads of movie gimmickry going on as well and that's just fine (in this case ).

I think the main reason I enjoy this film so much is Owen Wilson - such a likable guy. This was also the feature film debut for director John Moore, who I know nothing about, but I guess that's pretty impressive.

7/10
theres another one called Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis of Evil so make sure to watch it also
Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis of Evil

MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL
(1983, Mattinson)

As you all know, Scrooge McDuck (Alan Young) is a selfish miser that doesn't even celebrate Christmas and punishes his loyal employee, Mickey Mouse (Wayne Allwine) with endless work. That is until he is visited by three spirits that show him why he is the way he is, how his actions are affecting those around him, and where his actions will lead to eventually.

There's really not much to say. The story is widely known, but the animation and voice work is really nice. I will say that there seems to be genuine thought and care put into the "casting" of characters against Dickens' story, and those choices work.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
loved this movie . one of the best classic christmas movies

theres another one called Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis of Evil so make sure to watch it also
Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis of Evil
I haven't seen them, but there are actually three sequels

Victim of The Night

Well. Welcome back, Marvel.
After the last several Marvel films, I, a Marvel fan-boy since the 1970s, had finally given up. Just thrown up my hands and said, "How did you break it, it was going so well?!" There just hasn't been much to like with, in my opinion, Ant Man & The Wasp, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, and Shang-Chi all being varying degrees on the spectrum of disappointment to suck. I didn't even think that much of Doctor Strange so, outside of the Spider-Man franchise and the wrapping up of The Avengers, everything since Black Panther has been a disappointment. And my friends, who have really liked most of the Marvel movies, literally got up and walked out of Eternals.
So I said I was done watching Marvel movies unless somebody insisted that one had bucked the trend. But then my buddy I see once a year said he really wanted to talk to me about No Way Home, I dragged my carcass to the theater.
And wow, am I glad I did.
This is, in my opinion, the best non-Avengers Marvel film since Black Panther.
It is full of heart and pain. The thing that Marvel used to get right, making you care about the characters and what they're going through, with the battles really being secondary to the characters, is back. The woman sitting next to me cried at the end. I was a little choked-up myself.
A few specific things I wanted to point out.
Holland is just so perfect for this, more so than any of his predecessors.
Both of his predecessors are really good in this and this movie actually kind of fixes the shortcomings of their respective runs as the character. While MacGuire is probably the highlight of the film (outside of Holland and Zendaya), Garfield is also redeemed. And there is a great meta-joke about him and his films.
The meta-jokes, and this film is about as meta as it could be (I don't want to spoil why for anyone who doesn't know), somehow thread this wonderful needle of not winking at the audience too much even though they're winking at the audience. There are also some just wonderful meta moments that really not only give this film heart but make the movies they're referencing better. It feels good and never forced. Perfect bullseye.
Zendaya is just a little treasure blossoming on us. I had never heard of this person before Homecoming. After seeing her in the three Spideys, Malcolm and Marie, and Dune, I feel like there is something special going on there. She has a star presence that can't be denied. And she's good.
The Doctor Strange stuff in this is probably the only threat to the movie and the Marvel team deftly side-step that with a clever twist that allows one to mostly hand-wave all that and focus on the Spidey story.
But, really, the focus here should be on the heart of the film. There were so many moments that just played my heart-strings and the movie plays to the strength of Marvel, which has always been the plight of its characters. This movie puts Peter Parker and the people he cares about through the wringer. And even the villains are given actual thoughts and feelings and plights.
When we talk about stakes in Marvel films, it has always been about the stakes of the characters not whatever the silly conflict was which is always supposed to be there as a coat-rack to hang the character conflicts on. The Captain America movies are successful for this reason. They're not about Hydra and The Red Skull and giant gun-ships in the sky, they're about what Steve Rogers is going through in his struggle to be a hero and a human-being. Civil War ultimately boils down to the death of a friendship and a trust. It is the best climax of a Marvel film because it is literally a fist-fight between two friends whose conflicts have finally boiled over.
No Way Home is very much like this. It is entirely about what Peter Parker goes through simply because he was unlucky enough to be given the power to save people and because he is a good enough soul to want to more than anything. It is a warm-hearted yet kind of tragic film that is still somehow a lot of fun. If Marvel gets back on this track, they have me back in the fold.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

That's Entertainment! (Jack Haley Jr., 1974)
+ 7.5/10
That's Entertainment, Part II (Gene Kelly, 1976)
7/10
Zone 414 (Andrew Baird, 2021)
5/10
Procession (Robert Greene, 2021)
- 7/10

Adult survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests try to track them down and if failing that, try to recreate what occurred to them for closure.
Shadow of the Thin Man (W.S. Van Dyke, 1941)
6/10
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Stanley Donen, 1954)
7/10
Psycho Granny (Rebekah McKendry, 2019)
5/10
The Trouble with Harry (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)
8/10

Artist John Forsythe shares the facts of life with the son (Jerry Mathers [the Beave]) of young widow Shirley MacLaine, whom he wants to paint in the nude.
The Thin Man Goes Home (Richard Thorpe, 1944)
6/10
American Refugee (Ali LeRoi, 2021)
+ 5/10
Bowery Buckaroos (William Beaudine, 1947)
6/10
The Sound of Music (Robert Wise, 1965)
+ 7.5/10

Upbeat musical comedy ends as a suspenseful escape of the von Trapps from the Nazis.
The Last Lullaby (Jeffrey Goodman, 2008)
5.5/10
What We Left Unfinished (Mariam Ghani, 2019)
6.5/10
This Is the Night (James DeMonaco, 2021)
6/10
Where the Buffalo Roam (Art Linson, 1980)
6.5/10

In between writing his gonzo articles, Hunter S. Thompson (Bill Murray) hangs with his attorney "Lazlo" (Peter Boyle -here with Nixon mask) as well as the Nixon re-election campaign.
Ayar (Floyd Russ, 2021)
5/10
The Gold Rush (Charles Chaplin, 1925)
7+/10
The Eternal Sea (John H. Auer, 1955)
6/10
Immortal Beloved (Bernard Rose, 1994)
- 6.5/10

After the death of Beethoven (Gary Oldman), the conservator of his estate (Jeroen Krabbé) searches for his unknown immortal beloved.

[center]
Bowery Buckaroos (William Beaudine, 1947)
6/10
Have you seen Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla? Not a "good" movie, but has its halfassed charms, and Bela is great as expected. At the very least, it delivers on the title.

Sure. It's worth some laughs every once in a while but not as fun as Bowery Buckaroos.

I will add that to the watchlist.

Oddly enough, while I haven't seen any actual Bowery Boys movies, I have seen Ray Dennis Steckler's homage The Lemon Grove Kids Meet the Monsters. That's probably the "best" thing I've seen from him.

Victim of The Night

Well, here's a movie that's given me a lot to think about. I mean, in the sense of my feelings continuing to remain in mind and expand and evolve over the last 24 hours.
For those who don't know, this is a 1947 noir film by Orson Welles and starring himself and Rita Hayworth as the titular femme fatale. Welles plays Michael, an Irish sailor with a funny way of looking at life who meets Hayworth's Elsa Bannister in Central Park and saves her from a robbery. He is immediately smitten and hopes to continue to play hero for her... but she is married to the country's most famous defense attorney. Instead of offering him her bed, she offers him a job. And that job becomes more and more complex as he attempts to navigate the dark personalities at play.
From a directorial standpoint, this is Welles at his finest. His imagery is just fantastic, almost startling for the time. This is six years before Touch Of Evil and he's already playing with some of those ideas, including the almost grotesque close-ups on sweaty faces and mad expressions. He puts the camera in so many interesting places and plays with a lot of imagery throughout both of which add to the building surreal tension of this bleak story.

And he really has a ball once he gets the main characters to "The Crazy House" which is an old carnival attraction of a whole building of slides and mirrors odd lighting but which serves as an obvious but excellent metaphor for the insanity of Michael's situation and the characters he's fallen in with.

The story is dark, bleak, convoluted, and a bit nuts, all of which was just aces for me. The cast is excellent with Everett Sloane, an actor I don't really know, being surprisingly effective going toe to toe with Welles and Hayworth. Glenn Anders seemed off to me for a good portion of the movie until I realized that he is supposed to be "off" and that's an important part of the story. He ended up being very effective and integral, really. Hayworth is excellent, honestly. I've never seen her in a role like this and she was extremely effective, especially at the end when Welles (as the director and her husband) pushes her further than I am accustomed to seeing in films from the 1940s. Even 1953's The Big Heat, which I think of as a landmark of grit, isn't quite as gritty as Hayworth's final scene, in my opinion.
And then there's Welles. I mean, the fact that he manages to never really screw up his Irish brogue the whole film was impressive enough, but man, this is a really good performance. I mean, really good. It's so disappointing to me that he could not have been a more prolific actor. When you think about Citizen Kane, this, The Third Man, A Touch Of Evil, man... we needed more of that guy. Just consider this wonderful shark monologue, perhaps second only to one Mr. Robert Shaw...

Now that's a fine shark monologue.
My issues with the film really came down to one thing, the movie committed my one cardinal sin. The climax is preceded by one huge exposition dump to resolve all the plot lines so that the climax can occur. It was pretty disappointing as I'd waited an hour and twenty minutes to see how it was all gonna come together and then it's just Welles in voiceover telling the audience, "Here's how it all went down, now let's get to this awesome climax I've filmed."
That's been enough to ruin a lot of films for me that maybe I wasn't 100 on.
But this movie, honesty, is just too good everywhere else, I'm gonna have to forgive it. It's a disappointment, and since I can't go back and fix it it will remain a disappointment forever, but this is a movie that just has too much going for it not to see and recommend. Honestly, I think every film-lover and self-imposed home-film-student should see. Probably all film students to, but I'm talking to us, those of us who love movies and want to see the movies that made movies great. I think this has to be one of them. Watch it and you'll see what I mean.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Oddly enough, while I haven't seen any actual Bowery Boys movies, I have seen Ray Dennis Steckler's homage The Lemon Grove Kids Meet the Monsters. That's probably the "best" thing I've seen from him.
I caught up with that one last year because I think you mentioned it. My fave of Steckler's so far is still The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. Cool cinematography.

Ida Red (2021)

Pretty decent, nothing too spectacular story about a crime family where the Mother is in the clink for a "job" and wants to get out as she's terminally ill. The performances (Hartnett cool, Grillo hamming it up) are all fine but it's a pretty predictable, if enjoyable ride.

Victim of The Night
Oddly enough, while I haven't seen any actual Bowery Boys movies...
I have seen SO many Bowery Boys movies. Between those and the "Maisy" movies, which I quite enjoy, it seemed for a while like that's how TCM filled their daytime schedules.
I find the Bowery Boys films a pleasant diversion.

The trick is not minding
I prefer my action scenes to have talented martial artists, fluid editing, clear blocking and be actually visible (I.e. not hidden in darkness like it's AVP Requiem). It's a crazy notion but I stand by it.

This is a better action scene than anything in Ninja Assassin on a fraction of the budget.

Hmmm. Small sample size for sure, considering I haven’t seen anything from Adkins at all, and probably won’t ever, but Jet Li seems much better judging from this one scene.

All 3 very good. Re-watch.

4th Re-watch...Director Robert Zemeckis hits a direct bullseye with this delicious black comedy rich with re-watch appeal, some spectacular visual effects, and, believe it or not, my favorite Meryl Streep performance.