Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Matrix resurrection

Walked out of the theater in 30 mine one of the worst things ive seen made me squirm in my seat. Gotta be a record for most amount of references to another film.

And just like that, you and I are buddies.

(Dead Set was the first live Grateful Dead I ever heard, approximately 35 years ago, and "Brokedown Palace", when I'm forced to choose one song by someone, is often the song I cite as my favorite.)

Dead set is my favorite fire on the mountain, jerry knew that was going to be recorded, precision.

Don’t Look Up (2021)

Doc’s rating: 2/10
I really can't disagree with anything you said, but my rating would have been a 7/10 on your scale haha I think one can almost objectively say it is not a technically sound movie but I did enjoy myself

Duplicate Account (locked)
Come and See (1985)

8/10

Overall I thought the cinematography was pretty brilliant, and had pretty wierd and exciting content. The only thing I fault this film for is that there are scenes that didn't add anything, for example:

WARNING: spoilers below

When the boy is shooting the portrait of hitler, and they're playing nazi propaganda footage, it just felt kind of boring and contrived, like "okay I get the point"

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7754623

The Wages of Fear - (1953)

Firstly - Wow. What a tension-filled two hours of fright, fear and excitement. I haven't been hanging off the edge of such a metaphorical cliff like this for a while. Two teams of two men must drive trucks full of nitroglycerine 300 miles over rugged roads, steep hills and boulder-strewn tracks - and luckily for us it's all captured in expert fashion, with sight and sound exposing every moment of dreadful near-catastrophe. I loved this film. The Wages of Fear takes it's time bringing it's characters to life, including the situation they're in. An impossible life in a filthy South American town, where there's no work and no hope for anyone. It's impossible to even escape - and residents pride themselves on being the toughest of the tough - so when $2000 is offered for the dangerous work it's jumped at. Once under way, the journey exposes which characters really are tough, and which ones had simply been putting up a front. Stupendously suspenseful, and one of those films that I'm astonished I'd never heard of - considering just how good it is.

9/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 58/100

By https://www.nfbio.dk/film/druk, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=65388617

Another Round - (2020)

For some reason whenever I watch a film about drinking I have vivid feelings about the bad aspects of getting really drunk. The dizzy nausea, fuzzy lack of feeling, sore throat and sore head. I battled through the feeling yet again during Another Round. In it a group of teachers discover that drinking a limited amount of alcohol every day enhances their enthusiasm for their job and makes them more inspirational teachers. They push their experiment too far though - and I thought it was puzzling that they'd test what would happen if they really let go and drank copious amounts of booze. Of course things would get out of control, as they do. So I decided to not take that too literally, and see it as something we all go through in life - this experimentation with alcohol, which some of us take to the limit at first before learning to temper. Booze does seem like a miraculous wonder of life when we first come into contact with it - but before long, some learn that it can be the very opposite of that - a curse they can't rid themselves of. Some people can't do moderation - and others can't control their habits at all - so the experiment yields differing results, from tragic to joyful. Vinterberg, by the film's conclusion, insists on showing us the brightest and most dark aspects of our relationship with alcohol together, coexisting as they always will.

7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Across 110th Street - This actually turned out to be a pretty good movie. I knew the cast was going to be first rate but I wasn't expecting it to be so deftly written. And director Barry Shear, who was mostly known for television work, did an outstanding job with the Harlem locations and handled the various action scenes smoothly.

The title comes from the geographical demarcation between Central Park and Harlem. As the films opens representatives from the local mob family have traveled to Harlem to count and collect their weekly take. Two men in police uniforms gain entry and while robbing them gun down all four of the men in the room. They make their getaway but not before killing two actual policemen.

From that point on it's a race to see who hunts them down first, the mob or the NYPD. For the gangsters it's a point of pride and the overriding need to avoid the appearance of weakness. The head of the crime family sends his son-in-law Nick D'Salvio (Anthony Franciosa) to find the men and send a clear message. They team with Harlem crime lord "Doc" Johnson (Richard Ward) and his right-hand man Shevvy (Gilbert Lewis) and immediately put out a $5,000 reward for information.

In the meantime the police assign the young and ambitous Lieutenant Pope (Yaphet Kotto) to head the high-priority case which doesn't sit well with the old school Captain Mattelli (Anthony Quinn). He's a throwback to the old days when cops busted heads with impunity. Mattelli is described as racist on numerous occasions but he turns out to share a number of traits with Pope and the two men eventually arrive at a grudging respect for one another.

Great acting overall with Kotto and Quinn making for a surprisingly suitable pairing. And there are small touches here and there from supporting players like Paul Benjamin who turns in an invaluable and understated performance as Jim Harris, one of the robbers. As far as the writing goes just pay attention to the scene where Harris and his fellow robber and fugitive Joe Logart (Ed Bernard) part ways, both knowing that chances are they won't survive to see the morning. It could easily have been overwritten or rang false but instead is one of the best in the movie. There are numerous quietly trenchant scenes like that. More than enough to elevate this above the blaxploitation label.

90/100

Across 110th Street - This actually turned out to be a pretty good movie. I knew the cast was going to be first rate but I wasn't expecting it to be so deftly written. And director Barry Shear, who was mostly known for television work, did an outstanding job with the Harlem locations and handled the various action scenes smoothly.

The title comes from the geographical demarcation between Central Park and Harlem. As the films opens representatives from the local mob family have traveled to Harlem to count and collect their weekly take. Two men in police uniforms gain entry and while robbing them gun down all four of the men in the room. They make their getaway but not before killing two actual policemen.

From that point on it's a race to see who hunts them down first, the mob or the NYPD. For the gangsters it's a point of pride and the overriding need to avoid the appearance of weakness. The head of the crime family sends his son-in-law Nick D'Salvio (Anthony Franciosa) to find the men and send a clear message. They team with Harlem crime lord "Doc" Johnson (Richard Ward) and his right-hand man Shevvy (Gilbert Lewis) and immediately put out a $5,000 reward for information.

In the meantime the police assign the young and ambitous Lieutenant Pope (Yaphet Kotto) to head the high-priority case which doesn't sit well with the old school Captain Mattelli (Anthony Quinn). He's a throwback to the old days when cops busted heads with impunity. Mattelli is described as racist on numerous occasions but he turns out to share a number of traits with Pope and the two men eventually arrive at a grudging respect for one another.

Great acting overall with Kotto and Quinn making for a surprisingly suitable pairing. And there are small touches here and there from supporting players like Paul Benjamin who turns in an invaluable and understated performance as Jim Harris, one of the robbers. As far as the writing goes just pay attention to the scene where Harris and his fellow robber and fugitive Joe Logart (Ed Bernard) part ways, both knowing that chances are they won't survive to see the morning. It could easily have been overwritten or rang false but instead is one of the best in the movie. There are numerous quietly trenchant scenes like that. More than enough to elevate this above the blaxploitation label.

90/100
It also has one of the greatest theme songs ever, which was prominently featured in Jackie Brown.

Victim of The Night

Don’t Look Up (2021)

This is one of those shockingly bad films that comes along once in awhile which is packed with big name actors who, despite their best efforts, could not rescue it. Doc’s rating: 2/10
Interesting. I keep having people tell me I need to see it and how good it is but I didn't have a good feeling.

It was kind of what I expected which is why I had never seen it until now. Pretty average for most of it's runtime then it gets silly at the end. It wasn't boring but it wasn't anything special either.

Victim of The Night
It also has one of the greatest theme songs ever, which was prominently featured in Jackie Brown.
A friend of mine and I took a little LSD and walked through Central Park from 59th all the way up into Harlem (and not in a straight line), before winding our way back (over to the West Side and back down to Columbus Circle and then down Broadway), sharing a set of ear buds so we'd have the same music. As we passed 109th, I put on the theme song to this movie so the chorus would play right as we... crossed 110th Street.
Because you're right, the song kicks ass.

Shadowlands (1993)

Good film during Hopkins' "emotionally repressed" period. Solid tale of the friendship and, eventual, love that the author and theologian CS Lewis formed with Joy Gresham (nee Davidman). The performances are all great especially Debra Winger in this subtle and touching film.

Come and See (1985)

WARNING: spoilers below

When the boy is shooting the portrait of hitler, and they're playing nazi propaganda footage, it just felt kind of boring and contrived, like "okay I get the point"

I thought it was incredible

Interesting. I keep having people tell me I need to see it and how good it is but I didn't have a good feeling.
I think it's pretty good, for what it's worth. I enjoyed it as a satirical comedy and think it provides satisfying catharsis about the current ills of the world such as celebrity obsession, social media and certain news channels serving as hives of misinformation, being subjected to the whims of profiteering politicians and CEOs who are barely members of the human race, etc. It's very broad and may bite off more than it can chew, but it's 2+ hours well spent.

Victim of The Night
Shadowlands (1993)

Good film during Hopkins' "emotionally repressed" period. Solid tale of the friendship and, eventual, love that the author and theologian CS Lewis formed with Joy Gresham (nee Davidman). The performances are all great especially Debra Winger in this subtle and touching film.
I liked this a lot and I thought it was one of the best performances of Hopkins' career. So subtle, a lot like his turn in The Remains Of The Day. Winger is always excellent and this was no exception.

What If -

You may have seen the "nachos" scene from this movie on YouTube, and even though it's the one that made me laugh the hardest, it's not all this romantic comedy has going for it. Wallace (Radcliffe), an ex-med student still reeling from a breakup that occurred over a year ago, connects with Chantry (Kazan), an animator, at a party. As luck would have it, she's been in a relationship for five years. Meanwhile, there's Wallace's nacho-loving pal Allan (Driver), who much to his chagrin has 100% better luck with relationships and seemingly without having to try.

If this setup seems familiar, it is, but what writer/director Dowse and company do with it makes it stand out. The quick, witty, staccato rhythm dialog - think Juno's, but less precious and self-conscious - is often hard to keep up with, but it's still a lot of fun to take in. As for Radcliffe and Kazan, they have strong chemistry, it’s charming to watch them spend time together, and speaking of Radcliffe, it's simply nice to see him play someone in a contemporary setting and who does not have magical powers. If comedy is what draws you to movies like this one more than the romance, it's there, mostly courtesy of Driver's impulsive and annoyingly confident best bud, which also describes his recent hookup played by another welcome sight, Mackenzie Davis. The movie also might as well be a tourism advertisement for Toronto, which might as well be the fifth main character.

While its hipness and witticisms are less annoying than they are in similar movies, there are a few occasions when they venture into cringe territory. Also, despite a few surprises, the movie does not completely avoid predictably. I still found it to be infectiously charming, delightfully funny and it's very possible that it elicited a tear of joy or two. Oh, and it will make you crave nachos as well as anything that goes well with Cool Whip.

I liked this a lot and I thought it was one of the best performances of Hopkins' career. So subtle, a lot like his turn in The Remains Of The Day. Winger is always excellent and this was no exception.
I like it when I get round to seeing a film that previously I'd have ignored or genuinely avoided. There were just go many staid "Upstairs Downstairs" type dramas around at that time, I found it overwhelming. Even Julian Fellowes was in this.

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
(2007, Nichols)

"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... and then we f-ucked up the endgame."

Charlie Wilson's War follows the titular Congressman (Tom Hanks) and his efforts to support the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet-Afghan War in the 1980s. He does so with the assistance of Avrakotos and Joanne Herring (Julia Roberts), a wealthy, right-wing socialite.

This is Mike Nichols' last film. He started his career as a comedian and then a stage director, before hitting it big on film with his first two films: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and The Graduate (he was nominated for Best Director for both, and won for the latter). As someone who just saw both films (and Carnal Knowledge) within the last year, you can see his talent in handling personal relationships and exchanges between characters.

Charlie Wilson's War is different because the scope is bigger and the stakes are higher, perhaps? But he still puts the focus on the characters' personal relationships; particularly Wilson with Avrakotos and Herring. In that aspect, we can say the film is successful, also thanks to the sharp dialogue from screenwriter Aaron Sorkin.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot