A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Streets of Fire is on Netflix last I saw. I you have that service that is.
I'll have to take a look. I have Canadian Netflix, which is mostly ass.

The trick is not minding
I'll have to take a look. I have Canadian Netflix, which is mostly ass.

That’s right. I keep forgetting that. My apologies.
Yeah, it’s a shame Canada does t share the same catalog with the US. I just checked, and it’s definitely available here. Maybe you’ll get lucky with it.

Victim of The Night
People keep saying "The Beyond" like the Fulci film, but we're all talking From Beyond, right?

Anyway, for me it sits right in there with a lot of Yuzna's stuff and Hennenlotter's stuff in terms of films with great/fun practical effects and a superficial appearance of exploitation that actually has more going on underneath than you'd expect from the premise or random screen-grabs.
Exactly.

Victim of The Night
"You said bull**** and experience is all it takes, right?"

"Right."

"Come on in and experience some of my bull****."
So great.
And I love that scene.
"I don't like white people. I hate rednecks. You people are rednecks. That means I'm enjoyin' this ****."

Victim of The Night
On that note, the Voir video essay series on Netflix has a really good episode on 48 Hrs. narrated by Walter Chaw. Well worth a watch if you're a fan of the movie.
And now I love 48 Hrs. again and can't wait to watch it.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Deathproof, come out to playyyyyyyy!

Unrelated, but David Patrick Kelly is also fabulous in Dreamscape, one of my favorite sci fi/horror movies.

And Commando. The dude has screen presence.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
For some reason I've never gotten around to this. If it pops up on on one my services, I'll be sure to jump on it. Leather overalls Willem Dafoe sounds intriguing.

Willem Defoe in leather overalls fighting Michael Pare in a sledgehammer duel.

Why are you not watching this movie RIGHT NOW.

Why are you not watching this movie RIGHT NOW.
I have to work.

Watched a ton of horror/genre films with a friend of mine over a couple days, here's the quick hit thoughts on them.

Vicious Fun - Regular guy breaks up a serial killer meeting and has to survive them. It's a horror comedy though most of the comedy missed for me in the first half. Eventually it finds a little bit of groove but it never really gets higher than passably entertaining.

Lamb - This is sloooooow burn and honestly more familial drama with some weird moments than really horror, that said is is quite affecting once it gets going. If you like nice scenery and deliberately paced weirdness than definitely worth checking out.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow - This was great, it's a horror comedy about a small mountain town potentially be stalked by a werewolf that isn't afraid to tackle some more dramatic moments and does so sometimes at a pace that could lead to tonal whiplash but it does it all with such supreme confidence that it works.

Last Night in Soho - This was a re-watch and honestly loved it even more the second time. Like most Edgar Wright films the things you pick up on the second time through show how deep he laid the groundwork for what's to come. I know this film has it's detractors but It's honestly my favorite film that I saw this year.

Antlers - Juggles a lot of themes including bits of childhood abuse, alcoholism, opioid addiction, small town economic problems and industrialization vs the land, but much of it seems superficial to the events going on. Still it's pretty well acted and handles dread and horror quite well up until then end where I felt it kind of went off the rails, no so much that it's not worth checking out though.

Gaia - Filled with gorgeous scenery, some nice feelings of dread, some trippy scenes and visuals and finally some gnarly bio-body-horror this one was quite the winner. It's not fast paced, though there are some nice intense moments, but with a small cast all the actors knock it out of the park.

Sea Fever - I really wanted to like this one more than I did, goes for a claustrophobic vibe aboard a fishing boat and the actors are all fine but the terror from the unknown threat never really comes through like I think they wanted and the attempted tragic ending fell flat based on numerous story decisions during the films run time.

The Vast of Night - Absolutely stellar low-fi sci-fi film about a small town trying to track the origin of a weird sound that is heard over the airwaves. Mesmerizing performances from the actors along with some truly astounding cinematography and camera work make this one I highly recommend checking out.

The Vast of Night - Absolutely stellar low-fi sci-fi film about a small town trying to track the origin of a weird sound that is heard over the airwaves. Mesmerizing performances from the actors along with some truly astounding cinematography and camera work make this one I highly recommend checking out.

I thought this one started very well, with a good setup and all, and the first interview was fantastic. The problem I had was that the director bet everything on those interviews scenes, and it ended up dragging like hell. You gotta add stuff, man. It insists upon itself, like they say.

Victim of The Night
Unrelated, but David Patrick Kelly is also fabulous in Dreamscape, one of my favorite sci fi/horror movies.
Oh yes he is.

Victim of The Night
The Wolf of Snow Hollow - This was great, it's a horror comedy about a small mountain town potentially be stalked by a werewolf that isn't afraid to tackle some more dramatic moments and does so sometimes at a pace that could lead to tonal whiplash but it does it all with such supreme confidence that it works.

Last Night in Soho - This was a re-watch and honestly loved it even more the second time. Like most Edgar Wright films the things you pick up on the second time through show how deep he laid the groundwork for what's to come. I know this film has it's detractors but It's honestly my favorite film that I saw this year.
I also like both of these a LOT.

Gaia - Filled with gorgeous scenery, some nice feelings of dread, some trippy scenes and visuals and finally some gnarly bio-body-horror this one was quite the winner. It's not fast paced, though there are some nice intense moments, but with a small cast all the actors knock it out of the park.
Added to watchlist

Victim of The Night
Honestly, that sledgehammer duel was like one of the big cinematic moments of my youth.

The Monster of the Piedras Blancas, 1959, is a worthwile 50's sci-fi film. Significantly more gore than you'd see in that tie period, although it's still a 50's creature feature, so mostly folks talking. You also get almost nudity! Yay for not going through the studios. It's in great quality on youtube, too.

Slow in parts, delightfully stupid monster costume, but one of the good ones.

Directed by Irvin Berwick, father of Wayne Berwick, who directed Microwave Massacre.

Behold the terror of Jackie Vernon's warmed over standup shtick!

SNAKES aka FANGS aka HOLY WEDNESDAY (1974)

Does this film deserve the 4 star rating I've awarded it? Probably not, but I was thoroughly entertained so here we are.
The plot concerns a small-town snake handler known as (checks notes) "Snakey". Snakey is a simple guy that looks forward to his Wednesday night hangs with his bestie Burt, at which they get drunk and blast JP Sousa marches on the hi-fi. Snakey goes into a tailspin, however, when Burt marries a stripper and decides he'd rather get free lap dances on Wednesday nights and calls an end to the weekly Sousa fest.
One thing leads to another and next thing you know lots of people are dying of snakebites.

There's lots more unexpected shenanigans but I won't spoil the rest. Those of you who subscribe to Shudder and have standards as low as mine are encouraged to check it out.

*The role of Burt is played by the cheezy sheriff from Capture of Bigfoot. Bonus!*

Victim of The Night

SNAKES aka FANGS aka HOLY WEDNESDAY (1974)

Does this film deserve the 4 star rating I've awarded it? Probably not, but I was thoroughly entertained so here we are.
The plot concerns a small-town snake handler known as (checks notes) "Snakey". Snakey is a simple guy that looks forward to his Wednesday night hangs with his bestie Burt, at which they get drunk and blast JP Sousa marches on the hi-fi. Snakey goes into a tailspin, however, when Burt marries a stripper and decides he'd rather get free lap dances on Wednesday nights and calls an end to the weekly Sousa fest.
One thing leads to another and next thing you know lots of people are dying of snakebites.

There's lots more unexpected shenanigans but I won't spoil the rest. Those of you who subscribe to Shudder and have standards as low as mine are encouraged to check it out.

*The role of Burt is played by the cheezy sheriff from Capture of Bigfoot. Bonus!*
I'm in.

(I'm pretty sure I saw this when I was a kid under the title "Fangs".)

I'm in.

(I'm pretty sure I saw this when I was a kid under the title "Fangs".)
There's a few WTF moments that I wasn't expecting from this movie, but I'd rather not spoil the fun for future viewers. I'll just mention that one character caused me to invent the term Herpetophile, which I was proud of until I googled the word and realized that it already exists (because of course it does.)

I also wanted to mention that this is the only directorial credit for Mr. Art Names, which sounds like the laziest pseudonym ever.

Anyhow, I think it would make a good double feature with Squirm, for its similar hillbilly vibes.

Victim of The Night
I also wanted to mention that this is the only directorial credit for Mr. Art Names, which sounds like the laziest pseudonym ever.