The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I like Cruise! The MI films are some of my favorite action flicks, I like The Firm, Risky Business, Edge of Tomorrow, and I think I might be the only guy on the site that likes Oblivion.
Edge of Tomorrow is deffo one of my favourites of the past decade! Oblivion wasn't bad it was just totally obvious what the entire story was after the opening.

In Bruges is excellent...except for the body shaming part, i.e. the scene with the American tourists. I get that Ray is a bad and angry dude and he pays for his prejudices later, but it seems overly mean and it made the movie age poorly.
Actually, I laughed my arse off at that scene.

Signed,
Overweight American

No offense was taken by myself. But understand the feelings others may have. But still, hahaha…..ha

Have seen so far: 16 - Collateral - Decent movie, not one of my favorite movies though
Have not seen so far: 34

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I like Cruise! The MI films are some of my favorite action flicks, I like The Firm, Risky Business, Edge of Tomorrow, and I think I might be the only guy on the site that likes Oblivion.
The MI films aren't my thing, but I seen the first one and liked Cruise in it. I even liked Oblivion but not as much as Cruise's other sci-fi films.

Unbreakable - Shyamalan offers some proof he is more than just a director of empty gimmicks and well studied set pieces (cribbed from his apparently very shallow pool of obvious influences). Unbreakable is a superhero movie with some emotional heft. And it doesn't limp along like most of this jackasses movies end up doing once he's splunked out the scenes he clearly spends all of his resources on. Is it a great movie? I can't remember. But I know I didn't throw my shoe at it.

Spider Man 2 - So it looks like we are descending into Hell territory for me. Spider Man 2 is better than Raimi's initial effort, which is atrocious. It's not a bad movie, but there is forever going to be something unforgivable for getting all of Spidermans action performed by a CGI stunt double. Completely sucks any kind of emotional investment in the actions scenes, as now not only are we watching a dumb superhero movie where we know he is basically immortal, but we also don't even get any sense of the gravity of the danger he is in. Still better, than 80 percent of most superhero movies though.

Batman Begins - This might have been on my list. A rare Nolan movie I really appreciated. And a superhero movie nonetheless. I think my fondness for it may be fueled by what probably drives most comic book purists squirrly about it. It is fixated almost entirely on origin story. It pulls us through the slog of training much in the same way the martial arts classic Enter the 36 Chambers does, and treats the actual villain threat as secondary. Some people apparently care that the Scarecrow's plot gets buried in all of this. That he is almost an irrelevant fart in the general direction of the movie. But this is what I came here for. It's subversion of what a superhero movie is supposed to do is what makes it exciting. Plots about world domination are so ********* boring, anyways.

Secret in Their Eyes - I remember this being a thing for awhile. Then I forgot about it. Never seen it and forgot it even existed.

V For Vendetta - Ugh. Barf. Shoot me. Further proof that the Wachowski's shot their load with the first Matrix movie and have consistently had nothing to offer cinema beyond sparkling and shiny excess ever since. Frankly, this was probably all the Matrix really was either, but it at least seemed fresh at the time. Incorporating ideas about the precarious nature of existence and reality into a mostly dumb movie filled with leather jacket hero worship. I liked that. Now with Vendetta, we have the Wachowski's trying to elevate dumb politics with nothing but a dumb movie to back it up. And it's just about as empty headed and lifeless as most political movements these days (maybe we can argue it was prescient.....but nope, I'm not going to do that)

Million Dollar Baby - Mystic River is better and I don't like Mystic River. Don't get the appeal of this, at all. Everything about it is ham fisted, no matter how much soberly lit scenes it is filled with. And I think Hillary Swank is straight up awful in this. Walking around like an over enthusiastic goober in boxing gloves is hardly charming to me. Another bit of barf has come up in my mouth over this one (even though it's inclusion was expected)

In Bruges - I know I enjoyed this, for whatever it was. And it probably indirectly led me to visit Bruges about ten years ago. Allowing me to bring with me the loudest burp ever heard in the history of mankind to a very small Brugesian pub. It nearly stopped the whole city dead in its tracks. Even the Ugly Americans sitting next to us wanted to run us out of town. They were all probably happy when they found me barfing on their cobblestone streets the next morning. And all because of this fun little movie about a town I'd never even heard of before.

Collateral - I hate Tom Cruise, but I like him in this. This is a good movie for what it is. Tense, full of great action and characters with interesting motivations, all of it dragging us through a moody city scape during nighttime. It's pure edgy and thrilling cinema. Didn't really consider it for my list, but I could have.

I was just going to say that I like Cruise in his movies as I find him to be usually relatable. Then I read the part where you said he plays a sociopath. So no, not real relatable for me

But that does make the film sound more intriguing, as I do like films about sociopaths as long as they aren't really violent.
I agree with you there. Collateral has a good premise, and was well produced. I thought Cruise did a good job of gradually morphing from his usual affable self into a cold blooded killer. Didn't care for the ending.

I agree with you there. Collateral has a good premise, and was well produced. I thought Cruise did a good job of gradually morphing from his usual affable self into a cold blooded killer. Didn't care for the ending.
I can't remember the movie, but...I just read my review of it and apparently I agree with you especially about the ending.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #56, In Bruges...

It currently has a 84% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.9/10 score on IMDb (with 407,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"I will say it is not only ingenious but almost inevitable the way the screenplay brings all of [this characters] destinies together at one place and time. Along the way, there are times of great sadness and poignancy, times of abandon, times of goofiness, and that kind of humor that is really funny because it grows out of character and close observation."
While Rick Groen, of Globe and Mail, gave it ★★½ and said:
"It feels contrived -- often clever and sometimes funny but always self-conscious, one of those indie flicks where the damn quirkiness is plastered on and right in your face. It's like an architect making the gargoyles the centrepiece of his church."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Nope1172 said:
"This movie has probably one of the best screenplays of recent times. The dialog between the main two characters can be hilarious, dramatic, and even sad when it needs to be. The writer and director, Martin McDonagh has a great way of grabbing the audience, and not letting go. His great work on this film allows the audience to feel completely immersed in the film."
While @TheUsualSuspect said:
"I can't really put my finger on it, but I guess I wanted the film to be a tad bit more of everything. More funny, more action and more Fiennes. I found myself snickering at a lot of the dialogue when I should have been laughing. I fond myself wanting more action sequences then just the final 20 minutes. I wanted more from this film."

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #55, Collateral...

It currently has a 86% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.5/10 score on IMDb (with 384,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★½ and said:
"Cruise and the filmmakers bring a great deal more to his character than we expect in a thriller. What he reveals about Vincent, deliberately and unintentionally, leads up to a final line that is worthy of one of those nihilistic French crime movies from the 1950s."
While Glenn Kenny, of Premiere Magazine, gave it ★★½ and said:
"If there was ever an example of a movie's visual language leaving its verbal and narrative components in the dust, this, unfortunately, is it."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @meatwadsprite said:
"The movie develops Max in such a great way for the beginning of the movie: once Vincent (Tom Cruise) steps into his car, I really feel sorry for him... An underlying theme which I thought was great , is the people of the city don't help one another - and that sets the perfect environment for this movie."
While @Monkeypunch said:
"I really really loved the first half or Collateral. It was an antidote to bad action buddy movies. Too bad it crashed and burned at the end. I am just barely recommending it for Foxx and Cruise's stellar performances..."

Awards

Now to the awards received by In Bruges...

• Edgar Award for Best Screenplay (Martin McDonagh)
  • Golden Globe Award for Best Actor (Colin Farrell)
  • Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best New Filmmaker (McDonagh)
  • British Academy Film Award for Best Screenplay (McDonagh)

As for Collateral, it won...

• AFI Award for Top Ten Films
  • British Academy Film Award for Best Cinematography (Dion Beebe and Paul Cameron)
  • National Board of Review Top Ten Film and Best Director (Michael Mann)
  • National Society of FIlm Critics Award for Best Actor (Jamie Foxx)

Love In Bruges-almost made my list.

Seen Collateral once at the drive-in, remember thinking it was ok but probably wasn't the time or place to fully focus on a movie.

V For Vendetta was my #1. Top 5 movie ever made for me I rewatch it each year on the 5th of November for obvious reasons.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pear was my #8. One of my favorite movie from my childhood I love Johnny Depp.

Collateral was my #19. Badass flick and terrific acting.

Thanks for the explanation...and it has Tom Cruise too. I might be the only MoFo who actually likes Cruise in a movie. Who knows I might see it if it gets nominated in an HoF.
You might be surprised how many like Tom Cruise in films. I'm one of them and I enjoyed him in Top Gun, The Firm, Mission Impossible, Edge of Tomorrow, Minority Report and Jerry Maguire among others.

What makes him so good (and he is good) in Collateral is that he's so effective playing against type as a sociopathic assassin. He can be charming as in his conversations with the cab driver, but in order to complete his missions, he can also prove to be ruthless and efficient. Not sure whether it's the dialogue or the presence of Michael Mann in the director's chair, but I think it's one of Tom's finest hours as an actor. Having said it, the third act is a bit disappointing and it avoided my top 25 list.

Haven't seen In Bruges.

As for Collateral, I thought it started really strong and it was nice to see Cruise trying something different. However, I felt the last act was a bit weaker than what preceded it. I also thought the handling of Ruffalo's character was odd.
Really? Because I thought the entire 3rd act of Collateral (starting with the Club Fever shootout) was where the movie really got kicked up a notch: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/film/collateral/

Really? Because I thought the entire 3rd act of Collateral (starting with the Club Fever shootout) was where the movie really got kicked up a notch: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/film/collateral/
I don't remember well, but...

WARNING: spoilers below
...I think I was a bit bothered by the plot contrivance in the last act re: the attorney. As for Ruffalo, I felt like he was kinda wasted. Like we're following him all around and all of a sudden, bam! Not that I don't like surprises and trope subversions, but it felt... oddly handled.

Haven't seen it in a while, though.

I forgot the opening line.
56. In Bruges : Well, this is one from my list that I'd given up on by this stage, but happily a few people besides me rate it pretty highly. It's a nondescript little film, with nothing too extraordinary about it's plot - but it charms more than most other films, and it's three leads put in such entertaining performances that it's the kind of film that never gets old for me. In Bruges got cut a few times from my list, but every time it was tapping me on the shoulder demanding a spot. I'd always reinstate it. It coasts along for a while, an entertaining little number about two hoods who have a close kind of relationship - and then Ralph Fiennes comes into it, playing a fantastic role (somewhat against type) and turns it into a classic. He's a treasure, Ralph Fiennes. I always thought that when I watched In Bruges a second time it might go down a bit in my estimation, but it didn't. As far as writer/director Martin McDonagh goes, I also love Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. He's not prolific, but he's an inventive soul. Strangely, instead of winning an Oscar due to nominations for Three Billboards and In Bruges, his one Oscar win has come from a short film he made. (Six Shooter - I'll have to watch it.) In Bruges was my #20.

55. Collateral : This is one of those films that I know I've watched, but can remember absolutely nothing about. There's always a dilemma about whether to mark these down as having seen them or not. I usually mark it down as having not. This afternoon I'll pop it on and watch it again so I can come back and adjust and adjudicate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 35
Films that have been on my radar : 6
Films I've never even heard of : 4
Films I've seen but don't remember : 1

Films from my list : 7

#56 - My #20 - In Bruges (2008)
#59 - My #16 - The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)
#66 - My #9 - A Serious Man (2009)
#71 - My #23 - Snatch (2000)
#78 - My #13 - The Death of Mr. Lazarescu - (2005)
#84 - My #21 - The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
One pointer - World's Greatest Dad (2009)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

So far there are a few on here I haven't seen:

Still Walking has been on my watchlist for a while now. Ditto Werckmeister Harmonies .

I've been assured, as I said before, by people I trust who like the film that I wouldn't enjoy Devil's Rejects, which is something I already suspected. I didn't even enjoy watching the trailer for it when I worked at the video store (we played trailers all day, so I saw the trailer probably 5-6 times a day for two months).

Despite its accolades and reputation, I've just never been all that interested in Almost Famous. Though having recently watched and loved Say Anything, I find myself more willing to give it a shot.

I've literally had the DVD of Cache sitting on my TV stand for the last two months. It is from Netflix and I'm paying like $5 a month to have it here like what is wrong with me? (I suspect it will be sad so I keep just not watching it).

Amores Perros also looks sad. Yes, this is why I haven't watched most of the ones I haven't seen.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (say it with me everyone!) looks sad. I mean, of course it's sad. Even if it's a dark comedy.

Cast Away as I mentioned was just too saturated in pop culture for a while. I should watch it. Maybe.

Spider Man 2. Meh.

Trivia

In Bruges

Did you know that...
  • there's a deleted scene where a young Harry (played by Matt Smith) decapitates a corrupt detective?
  • the film features five actors from the Harry Potter franchise? (Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Farrell, Ciarán Hinds, and Clémence Poésy)
  • the names that Ken and Ray use at the hotel, Cranham & Blakely, are the names of the actors that played two hitmen in Harold Pinter's The Dumb Waiter, which is one of the film's major influences?