Movies you couldn't even finish.

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What’s missing from the movie is any scene of rape or torture. We, the audience, need to see something.
You're the last person I'd expect to crave for rape & torture in a film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Casablanca 1942.
I picked it from the imdb top movie list but it is not worth watching.

Heh. So, what is the prevailing sentiment concerning The Green Knight? It seems like for every person I've heard raving about it there's another that found it slow moving and tedious. The critic's Tomatometer is a healthy 89% while the audience score is at 50%.
I loved it.

Casablanca 1942.
I picked it from the imdb top movie list but it is not worth watching.
I kind of understand - I spent most my life hearing how it's one of the greatest films ever made (and the hype was probably part of the problem as I had raised expectations). I ended up thinking it was mediocre, but okay. As far as not finishing... I, personally, almost never leave a film partially watched if I can help it.

(And for Casablanca, it has one of the most famous climaxes & ending lines!)

Oh my list would be too long to post here.
Suffice it to say there are many bad or tedious films out there that one may avert one's eyes from.
Especially if one has Amazon Prime.

Oh my list would be too long to post here.
Suffice it to say there are many bad or tedious films out there that one may avert one's eyes from.
Especially if one has Amazon Prime.
Try Netflix, it's so bad it will make Amazon Prime look like Amazon Gold.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
I fairly new to the board and working through this long thread has been fascinating!

My first conclusion is that there have been a lot of bad movies made. A lot of them were not serious attempts to make a good film. More interesting were instances of serious artists attempting to make good art and for it to turn out unpopular.

Most interesting to me are the posts listing movies that couldn't be finished where some of the films on the list I agreed were bad sitting right next to movies that I loved or were even favorites! How do tastes in film even work?

For instance, Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" makes the fecal list of several posters but I didn't see it's sister film, "12 Monkeys" even once. I thought the latter was the more challenging film.

Most of the movies that made someone's "execrable" list I could understand why they didn't like it even if I loved it. It is interesting all the criteria people possess to be put-off by a film. For instance, I love "Solaris" (2007) and each time I watch it I end up having great discussions about it. But as I watch the movie, I perceive immediately that most people would not like that film. I think it is difficult to make a good and popular movie. 'You can't please all of the people all of the time."

One interesting recurrent theme is "boring" and people falling asleep while watching a film. Do we have a lot of sleep deprived movie watchers? Are some films being victimized by screen fatigue and binging?

I turn off a film not because of boredom but because I get annoyed with it. If I am in the wrong mood for a film, the action and violence can come across as cacophonous, or an earnest melodrama can take me out of the picture and come across as pretentious, comedy can come off as stupid, if there are not some characters in a film that I can like and Identify with, that movie is doomed to annoy me.

I've never walked out of a theater on a film and have only wanted to once ("The Mission" 1986. Man, I was NOT in the mood for that heavy movie and there is a scene of DeNiro struggling to climb a cliff in the rain and the director focusing endlessly on his muddy feet that had me gnashing my teeth. If I wasn't with a date, I would have been outta there. Never have tried to watch that film again.).

The entire theater experience is an investment. Just being there is cool even if the movie is a disappointment.

If I have been gifted a movie or have purchased a hard copy, I have always watched it all the way through, even if I didn't like it. If a movie bothered me or confused me, I might go back and watch it again within a few days. Two recent examples for me of this are "The Lighthouse"(2019) (Brilliant but very difficult) and "The Canal" (2014) (Deeply flawed but in a compelling way. I re-watched to see why the film both annoyed me but also stuck with me).

But when I get home from work and am tired and just want to turn on a flick while I wind down and am eating something then I am a movie channel surfer. My mood is narrow and my tolerance for challenges of any kind is low. I am not invested and have a passive attitude. I turn off more movies than I stick with.

I try to like anything I am watching and I am not a snob about genre or subject matter. I can be open minded and approach a film with a receptive attitude, "okay, what is the film maker trying to do here?"

But the flat truth is that I am a member of a certain demographic and relatively few films are really made with me in mind. So, most movies made are bound to fall flat with me.

Still Stirchley has turned off more movies than I have ever queued-up to watch.

But, my real reason to reply to this thread is to express my disbelief that in a 117 page thread of stinker movies that includes numerous top award winning films that no one has mentioned "Showgirls" (1995) LOL!

I fairly new to the board and working through this long thread has been fascinating!
Welcome to the board...Did you read the entire thread? If so, impressive.

My first conclusion is that there have been a lot of bad movies made. A lot of them were not serious attempts to make a good film. More interesting were instances of serious artists attempting to make good art and for it to turn out unpopular.
Most 'bad movies' weren't really made to be anything other than 'fun entertainment'. So they aren't at the same level of 'bad' as a serious director who makes a serious film that seemingly goes awry and so is really 'bad' (according to some of course.)

Most interesting to me are the posts listing movies that couldn't be finished where some of the films on the list I agreed were bad sitting right next to movies that I loved or were even favorites! How do tastes in film even work?
Individually, very individually

Most of the movies that made someone's "execrable" list I could understand why they didn't like it even if I loved it. It is interesting all the criteria people possess to be put-off by a film. For instance, I love "Solaris" (2007) and each time I watch it I end up having great discussions about it. But as I watch the movie, I perceive immediately that most people would not like that film. I think it is difficult to make a good and popular movie. 'You can't please all of the people all of the time."
I'd venture a guess and say people hate Solaris (2007) because it's a Hollywood remake of a classic Soviet film that they love. And of course the 2007 version is different than the original and that pisses movie viewers off too. Myself I seen the 2007 version first and liked it. Then I watched the original and really liked it too. So I'm kind of rare in that I like both versions.

One interesting recurrent theme is "boring" and people falling asleep while watching a film. Do we have a lot of sleep deprived movie watchers? Are some films being victimized by screen fatigue and binging?

I turn off a film not because of boredom but because I get annoyed with it. If I am in the wrong mood for a film, the action and violence can come across as cacophonous, or an earnest melodrama can take me out of the picture and come across as pretentious, comedy can come off as stupid, if there are not some characters in a film that I can like and Identify with, that movie is doomed to annoy me.
I've turned off films because I'm annoyed, but if I'm annoyed with the story telling/movie making then I become un-engaged and that bores me. I've also fallen asleep during films I love just because it was late at night and I was really tired.

I've never walked out of a theater on a film and have only wanted to once ("The Mission" 1986. Man, I was NOT in the mood for that heavy movie and there is a scene of DeNiro struggling to climb a cliff in the rain and the director focusing endlessly on his muddy feet that had me gnashing my teeth. If I wasn't with a date, I would have been outta there. Never have tried to watch that film again.).
I seen The Mission and had a vastly different experience than you, here's a link to my short review of The Mission.

But the flat truth is that I am a member of a certain demographic and relatively few films are really made with me in mind. So, most movies made are bound to fall flat with me.
That's an interesting statement and it caught my interest. If you don't mind me asking what demographic are you and why don't most films work for you? Maybe I even have some suggestions you might like, who knows?

But, my real reason to reply to this thread is to express my disbelief that in a 117 page thread of stinker movies that includes numerous top award winning films that no one has mentioned "Showgirls" (1995) LOL!
That's because:
WARNING: "Showgirls" spoilers below
Showgirls rocks!

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
Thank you for the greeting.

I scanned all the posts in the thread looking for names of movies. If I had seen the movie, and there was some justification written for why they didn't like it, I read it. (I skipped the entire tangent on homophobia. Those discussions always deteriorate into one side feeling justified to be intolerant of intolerance and that argument always eats its own tail. If one feels justified to use hate and intolerance to combat hate and intolerance, then they have simply become what they themselves believe is the problem.)

As for "The Mission," have you ever gotten sick on a dish of food and then never wanted to eat that food again? Well, that is "The Mission" for me. Thank you, no.

My Demographic? Hmm. If you know the VAL consumer categories, then I am Self Actuated Fulfilled. If not, then I am a salty dog, highly educated, literate, read a lot, skeptical of technological society, work a lot (veterinarian), a bit of a conspiracy theorist, kind of get off on perceiving every day life in intellectual terms and pride myself in being open minded. As far as film marketing, I think being a mature intellectual puts me in a small film consumer demographic failing to represent a viable economic target for film production.

Regarding "Solaris" (2007), I think that George Clooney drew a larger number of viewers to this art film than it should have. The many fans of Clooney and of Science Fiction Action pictures with cool effects probably led to the false impression of what the film was and that segments of the mass market were lured to view the film on that basis and were like, "WTF is this?" when they found themselves in a quiet and challenging art piece.

I don't know how many people who saw the original (1972) version were curious about the re-make, but I am guessing it was not as many as Clooney fans wanting to watch his next film. How many in the mass movie watching market sit down to watch a nearly 3 hour Russian language Science Fiction Art Film? I'm thinking the number is not significant compared to that desired for a mass marketed film.

But for those of us who have watched both, I'm sure there is a good debate over which film is liked better. In remake situations, it is my experience that people tend to like better the film they saw first. For me it is the 2007 version, which I saw first.

Thank you for the greeting. ...
My Demographic? Hmm. If you know the VAL consumer categories, then I am Self Actuated Fulfilled. If not, then I am a salty dog, highly educated, literate, read a lot, skeptical of technological society, work a lot (veterinarian), a bit of a conspiracy theorist, kind of get off on perceiving every day life in intellectual terms and pride myself in being open minded. As far as film marketing, I think being a mature intellectual puts me in a small film consumer demographic failing to represent a viable economic target for film production.

Hey, you sound like a right guy to me! Welcome.

arsenic and old lace (1944)

a slapstick comedy that had a lot of redeeming features, but wasn't entertaining enough for me to finish...
I've seen that film three times, and still don't like it. It's well made but just not my thing. And I do like slapstick per say.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I've seen that film three times, and still don't like it. It's well made but just not my thing. And I do like slapstick per say.

i think it's very interesting that you can watch something you don't like 3 times. For me, I can watch something that's exciting/alluring once even if I don't like it, but then i'll probably never watch it again unless someone wanted to watch it with me. Of course, with the passage of time my opinions change about things, but with arsenic and old lace i actually tried to watch it twice. The first time, i got through about 15 minutes of it and was like "i've missed so much of what they said..." then rewound the tape and did other stuff, then i watched around 1.5 hours of it and still didn't find the movie to be worth finishing.