Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards / 2005 Movie Poster Gallery / Layer Cake Poster (#2 of 3), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19514224

Layer Cake - (2004)

I'd never even heard of Layer Cake before coming across it, even though director Matthew Vaughn has directed (Kick-Ass, X-Men First Class) and produced (Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) some films I really like. This is similar to films such as the latter, but the comedic aspect is much more toned down and gangster elements less goofy. Daniel Craig does well as someone in the drug trade, working his way up the ladder but being very careful and professional. Despite that, orders from those higher up and actions from cohorts conspire in putting him in a desperate situation. He might find that his confidence is misplaced. There's an early role for Tom Hardy here, as well as Ben Whishaw - and Michael Gambon turns up as the top layer of the layer cake. It does a decent enough job, and Craig is so convincing as an uncompromising yet stylish man of action that this ended up being one of the films that earned him his James Bond gig. Worth seeing.

7/10

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Us_%282019%29_theatrical_poster.png

Us - (2019)

Ahhh, Us. Us is like the Jordan Peele version of how I felt when I first saw Midsommar and compared it to Hereditary. I have to tell you, halfway through this film (the first time I saw it) I was tremendously excited. I had the feeling I was watching a horror masterpiece. Then, as the plot unfolded and we find out what's really happening the ridiculousness of it just swept away that feeling I had of watching a film I'd treasure from here on out. I watched it again last night, and found I could still enjoy it and work around some of the more outlandish stuff by not looking at the overall plot as something to be taken literally. At least now I could enjoy the film's climax without my mind rebelling against what was happening. Overall this is an excellent and very scary film, and while it would have been hard to just get by without telling the audience about what has happened, perhaps just a little mystery could have been left for us. The images, at first haunting and then horrific, did awaken the horror enthusiast in me. Some set-pieces are quite good. The very final twist didn't quite work for me. So all in all, a great horror film that I just have a few grudging problems with. Get Out is better overall, but the first half of Us probably beats anything Peele has yet done.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

ONLY 2019 - Starring Freida Pinto , Chandler, Leslie

Story - After a deadly virus kills almost all the women on earth, Eva and Will must do all they can to protect themselves from being hunted.

Rate - 6/10

The best part about this movie is that the Director decided to do something different and not focus on the how the virus effected the whole world, but rather the story of how it changed the relationship and dynamics of a once loving couple separated by something they cant understand and it ends with a couple coming to the realization that even a few days truly together was alot better than a life physically together, but apart in every other way.

Freida Pinto will be seen in the upcoming movie A Christmas Number One

Amazing bit in Point Break where they jump over fences. Patrick Swayze has just robbed this bank, and Keanu Reeves is chasin' him through peoples' gardens, and then he goes to shoot Swayze but he can't because he loves him so much and he's firin' his gun up in the air and he's like 'ahhh!' Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone 'ahhh'?
have u seen the remake of it? i didnt like it much only watched half of it, i was like meh

have u seen the remake of it? i didnt like it much only watched half of it, i was like meh
Never watched the remake, although I was a bit disheartened to see Edgar Ramirez was in it. Man deserves to be in better movies.

Never watched the remake, although I was a bit disheartened to see Edgar Ramirez was in it. Man deserves to be in better movies.
watch the trailer of it to see what u think before u watch it, he did good on american crime story. i agree

About Endlessness -

This is altogether bemusing series of vignettes, each one narrated from an omniscient couple floating through the sky. Each one instills a different feeling: some are sweet, some are quizzical, some are quite sad and each one is tinged with Swedish pessimism. With each short's similarly gray aesthetic, watching the movie is akin to going through an entire gallery, or better yet, watching Swedish TikTok for 80 minutes. My favorite vignette features an old couple buying fish at a market in which you hear someone blurt out, "you must have a lot to talk about." You think it's being directed towards the couple, but something else entirely happens. Is there a consistent theme? It's right there in the title, but another one I picked up on is timing. There are occasions when it being off, whether it's a few seconds or a few decades, ranges from mildly inconvenient to extraordinarily bad. However, some are lucky enough to salvage the lost moment or possibly allow something even better to happen. Again, bemusement is what it made me feel the most, but the important thing is that it ended up being unlike anything I've seen in quite a while.

Toad Road (2012)

An indie horror (or so they claim, not sure if I'd describe it as such) about small-town junkies and a local urban legend. There's nothing professional here, and sometimes that even works, but mostly it just feels like a concept prematurely transferred on film.

The story of Marc-Andre Leclerc, a free solo climber from BC who shot out of nowhere to become one of the best climbers in the world. He's a different cat that's for sure. At one point he ditches his documentary crew to go do a climb that is insanely difficult, a climb that the doc. crew definitely wants to film but as Marc put it - "If you're there it's not solo" Some very good cinematography and it gets under your skin with some of the climbing this guy does.

Renegade: The Life And Story Of David Icke - 9/10

"the ‘mad man’ who has been proved right again and again"

That's great, like the time he said the world would end in 1997. Or when he said the British royal family are actually reptiles. Or that he is the son of god. Or when he declared that the holocaust, climate change and Covid-19 are all hoaxes.

I guess I should watch the documentary, because I can't remember when these things we're proved correct.

About Endlessness -

This is altogether bemusing series of vignettes, each one narrated from an omniscient couple floating through the sky. Each one instills a different feeling: some are sweet, some are quizzical, some are quite sad and each one is tinged with Swedish pessimism. With each short's similarly gray aesthetic, watching the movie is akin to going through an entire gallery, or better yet, watching Swedish TikTok for 80 minutes. My favorite vignette features an old couple buying fish at a market in which you hear someone blurt out, "you must have a lot to talk about." You think it's being directed towards the couple, but something else entirely happens. Is there a consistent theme? It's right there in the title, but another one I picked up on is timing. There are occasions when it being off, whether it's a few seconds or a few decades, ranges from mildly inconvenient to extraordinarily bad. However, some are lucky enough to salvage the lost moment or possibly allow something even better to happen. Again, bemusement is what it made me feel the most, but the important thing is that it ended up being unlike anything I've seen in quite a while.
I watched the trailer for this awhile back and I remember thinking, "This is something I could watch". And afterwards, like a pigeon sitting on a branch, wonder why.

That's great, like the time he said the world would end in 1997. Or when he said the British royal family are actually reptiles. Or that he is the son of god. Or when he declared that the holocaust, climate change and Covid-19 are all hoaxes.

I guess I should watch the documentary, because I can't remember when these things we're proved correct.
9/10 because it does such a good job of skewering the guy? It doesn't seem like that kind of doco. Soooo ... 9/10 because ... oof.

This forum is like a mall that's got everything. But some shops you can check out their window displays and know not go inside.

Then, as the plot unfolded and we find out what's really happening the ridiculousness of it just swept away that feeling I had of watching a film I'd treasure from here on out.
Absolutely agree with that. If the movie was content with being entirely allegorical instead of limply trying to make the events of the movie logically consistent, I would have much less of an issue with it. The explanation is so bad and so half-written.

Victim of The Night

Wait, who is this guy? I've never even heard of him and he has a documentary and it sounds pretty funny?
*Heads off to google...

Edit:
*Returns from google...
Ah, so this guy is just straight-up looney-tunes and I guess has remained in the public eye by being loud enough to be heard by other people who are straight-up looney-tunes or ridiculed by everyone else?
I would actually almost be interested in this if the world weren't so full of conspiracy-theory crazies right now that he doesn't necessarily stand out all that much.

Victim of The Night

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Us_%282019%29_theatrical_poster.png

Us - (2019)

Ahhh, Us. Us is like the Jordan Peele version of how I felt when I first saw Midsommar and compared it to Hereditary. I have to tell you, halfway through this film (the first time I saw it) I was tremendously excited. I had the feeling I was watching a horror masterpiece. Then, as the plot unfolded and we find out what's really happening the ridiculousness of it just swept away that feeling I had of watching a film I'd treasure from here on out. I watched it again last night, and found I could still enjoy it and work around some of the more outlandish stuff by not looking at the overall plot as something to be taken literally. At least now I could enjoy the film's climax without my mind rebelling against what was happening. Overall this is an excellent and very scary film, and while it would have been hard to just get by without telling the audience about what has happened, perhaps just a little mystery could have been left for us. The images, at first haunting and then horrific, did awaken the horror enthusiast in me. Some set-pieces are quite good. The very final twist didn't quite work for me. So all in all, a great horror film that I just have a few grudging problems with. Get Out is better overall, but the first half of Us probably beats anything Peele has yet done.

7/10
Agreed.
Really, what killed me more than the
WARNING: "sperlah" spoilers below
Hands Across America
bit, which I guess is fine if that's where you're taking it, was that the whole plot was just sort of explained away in one giant exposition dump, which is my least favorite method of filmmaking and generally causes me to think much less of a movie.
I ultimately wondered if the craft that was demonstrated through so much of the film was actually enough to overcome the lack of craft that an exposition dump like that shows. So right now the movie would be a 5/10 for me (if I rated movies which I don't) or maybe a 6, but who knows, if I ever re-watch it, and I don't know if I will because I was that disappointed, it could possibly climb to that 7 range (in my head) for the craft - if I can let go of that disappointment, but then again, a rewatch could actually make it worse.

Cruel Gun Story - 1964 Japanese gangster noir from Nikkatsu studios and starring Jo Shishido as recently paroled con Joji Togawa. Yakuza boss Matsumoto (Hiroshi Nihon'yanagi) has arranged for Joji to be released early in exchange for him leading a four man crew in robbing an armored car carrying 127 million yen in racetrack money. Matsumoto promises Togawa 15 million yen knowing that his sister Rie (Chieko Matsubara) is in a wheelchair and dangling the possibility of her being able to walk again. The crew includes Joji's old friend Shirai (Yûji Odaka), the greedy and manipulative Takizawa (Tamio Kawaji) and punch drunk boxer Okada (Shôbun Inoue). I've only seen him in A Colt Is My Passport and this but Shishido seems born to play these types of blase, hard boiled roles.

The heist doesn't go according to plan forcing the gang to improvise. Soon after, the double, triple and quadruple crosses start mounting.

The title might be a tad nonsensical but it's ultimately accurate. This story does involve plenty of guns and it is most assuredly cruel in dealing with the fates of those involved. This is a splendid example of noir.

85/100