The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've got two to knock out that I'll be doing this weekend along with my final one for the 26th.

Well I feel like Cricket should have told us who Neiba nominated for us but I'll finish it this week as well.
Actually, let me see if you watched his nom yet. It didn't occur to me before because he has a history of finishing at the last second.

Well I feel like Cricket should have told us who Neiba nominated for us but I'll finish it this week as well.
You haven't watched his nomination. I'll pm you.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Actually, let me see if you watched his nom yet. It didn't occur to me before because he has a history of finishing at the last second.
We're well past the last second

Brother's Keeper

A rural farm community in which a lot of people would consider the residents to be hicks. Even among them there are the Ward brothers who stand out even more for their uneducated and uncivilized ways. They are simple people living in a world of simple people. One night one of the brothers passes away. Was it natural causes or a mercy killing?

For me this is the best type of documentary. It's not looking back at a case, but rather it's filmed while it is happening giving you a front row seat. Delbert Ward didn't know what he was doing or saying when interviewed by big city law enforcement so how valid his confession was is the question.

There were times when this movie felt exploitive when often focusing on the Ward's lack of intelligence and living conditions, but it was a necessary evil. The only part I didn't care for was the random killing of a pig, farmer style. Besides that, this was up there with some of my favorite documentaries.

Neiba also has a history of dropping out. He was the host of the 3rd Short Fird HoF and just disappeared, the only reason the HoF was saved was because JJ stepped in and hosted it. Neiba also dropped out of the 13th HoF without telling anyone.

Neiba also has a history of dropping out. He was the host of the 3rd Short Fird HoF and just disappeared, the only reason the HoF was saved was because JJ stepped in and hosted it. Neiba also dropped out of the 13th HoF without telling anyone.
That's quite the recollection you have there!

That's quite the recollection you have there!
Ha, I have stats for all the HoFs, with final results and points for the noms...and those who dropped out. Plus I was in both of those HoFs.

movies can be okay...
L.A. Confidential (1997) directed by Curtis Hanson

I watched the film twice now and the second watch felt very much so needed as I enjoyed the experience a whole lot more. I still feel like the movie begins in a clichéd manner which was probably what set the tone for me during that first viewing. Good cop with childhood trauma helps helpless woman out of a domestic violence situation, angry white cops beat up minorities for revenge... And I'm not talking about the situations themselves being clichéd, not at all, but rather how they're presented is what makes them receive an eyeroll of a reaction out of me. It's also lowkey problematic how at first it is made seem that Guy Pearce's character's going to be the antagonist of the film, while Crowe's the one who we're gonna be following and rooting for, thus romanticizing doing the wrong thing and the "snitches get stitches" mentality, when in reality we should all hope for more policeman such as Exley and reject anything less.

Overall, the story felt convoluted on the first watch, but everything clicked together upon a second viewing. In fact, I really wish there was a longer/mini-series version to the film, it would've suited it perfectly. The dialogue is quick and clever, and although that can be to a fault, this time I thought it worked and felt seamless 95% of the time, which is more than enough. Most of the side plots had somewhat of a fulfilling payoff, but what I most enjoyed was their interconnectedness and the whys and hows of that. There's just so many scenes and sequences that are very memorable (Kevin Spacey's death *chef's kiss*), all thanks to the writing that builds the bridge for the story to go in all kind of different directions.

The biggest difference however between my two viewings of the film is my feelings towards the characters, especially the three main ones, who by the way resemble the three characters from Platoon quite a bit. This time they felt more defined and contrasted each other pretty well. They each have different motivations that feel alive and make their actions much more interesting to follow, and it's all summed up in their answers to why they became a cop, to which Kevin Spacey's character responds "I don't remember anymore". There are even moments where each of these three are put in situations that force them to contradict their driving purpose and motivations, and we see the clear effect that that has on 'em, so it's impressive that there is a constant maintain of all the details and nuances that make these characters. All in all, all of the characters have active motivations rendering them into constantly moving pieces regardless of their importance, and that's what makes the interconnectedness and complicatedness of the story so exciting.

I still have some annoyances that survived from my first watch, like the lack of consequence Crowe faces for his behavior throughout the movie, which was mainly why I hated his character so much after the first watch. There's his backstory that puts his actions into perspective, but it doesn't forgive the absence of repercussions that should undoubtedly be there. I mean this guy almost kills the district attorney, thrashes the police office, and beats up a detective without anyone batting an eye. It's the same thing with Dudley, he has too many followers, kills too many people, and creates too much of a ruckus for anything to be believable. Its absurd that this man has this much power, especially when there's not enough there to gain for his followers to do his dirty work and indulge in all the craziness they end up in.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
Welp, there you have it, I guess now I'm officially done. Quite a lot of favorites came out of this HOF, at least compared to the other ones I participated in. Thanks for that, and see you next year (maybe).

L.A. Confidential is an excellent film. Easily one of my favorites.

L.A. Confidential (1997) directed by Curtis Hanson

I watched the film twice now and the second watch felt very much so needed as I enjoyed the experience a whole lot more. I still feel like the movie begins in a clichéd manner which was probably what set the tone for me during that first viewing. Good cop with childhood trauma helps helpless woman out of a domestic violence situation, angry white cops beat up minorities for revenge... And I'm not talking about the situations themselves being clichéd, not at all, but rather how they're presented is what makes them receive an eyeroll of a reaction out of me. It's also lowkey problematic how at first it is made seem that Guy Pearce's character's going to be the antagonist of the film, while Crowe's the one who we're gonna be following and rooting for, thus romanticizing doing the wrong thing and the "snitches get stitches" mentality, when in reality we should all hope for more policeman such as Exley and reject anything less.

Overall, the story felt convoluted on the first watch, but everything clicked together upon a second viewing. In fact, I really wish there was a longer/mini-series version to the film, it would've suited it perfectly. The dialogue is quick and clever, and although that can be to a fault, this time I thought it worked and felt seamless 95% of the time, which is more than enough. Most of the side plots had somewhat of a fulfilling payoff, but what I most enjoyed was their interconnectedness and the whys and hows of that. There's just so many scenes and sequences that are very memorable (Kevin Spacey's death *chef's kiss*), all thanks to the writing that builds the bridge for the story to go in all kind of different directions.

The biggest difference however between my two viewings of the film is my feelings towards the characters, especially the three main ones, who by the way resemble the three characters from Platoon quite a bit. This time they felt more defined and contrasted each other pretty well. They each have different motivations that feel alive and make their actions much more interesting to follow, and it's all summed up in their answers to why they became a cop, to which Kevin Spacey's character responds "I don't remember anymore". There are even moments where each of these three are put in situations that force them to contradict their driving purpose and motivations, and we see the clear effect that that has on 'em, so it's impressive that there is a constant maintain of all the details and nuances that make these characters. All in all, all of the characters have active motivations rendering them into constantly moving pieces regardless of their importance, and that's what makes the interconnectedness and complicatedness of the story so exciting.

I still have some annoyances that survived from my first watch, like the lack of consequence Crowe faces for his behavior throughout the movie, which was mainly why I hated his character so much after the first watch. There's his backstory that puts his actions into perspective, but it doesn't forgive the absence of repercussions that should undoubtedly be there. I mean this guy almost kills the district attorney, thrashes the police office, and beats up a detective without anyone batting an eye. It's the same thing with Dudley, he has too many followers, kills too many people, and creates too much of a ruckus for anything to be believable. Its absurd that this man has this much power, especially when there's not enough there to gain for his followers to do his dirty work and indulge in all the craziness they end up in.
Congratulations Okay, you are the 9th member to finish!

Brother's Keeper

For me this is the best type of documentary. It's not looking back at a case, but rather it's filmed while it is happening giving you a front row seat.
I think that's why I like this so much as well even though I've only watched it once (repeat viewings of Doc's are tough for me.) Been a long time since I've seen it but I remember never feeling like your being manipulated with this, it's just all laid out very matter of fact and it's a very sad story. I hated the pig scene as well but kind of understand why they included it. That scene is a big reason why I usually don't recommend what is otherwise a very good documentary.

I think that's why I like this so much as well even though I've only watched it once (repeat viewings of Doc's are tough for me.) Been a long time since I've seen it but I remember never feeling like your being manipulated with this, it's just all laid out very matter of fact and it's a very sad story. I hated the pig scene as well but kind of understand why they included it. That scene is a big reason why I usually don't recommend what is otherwise a very good documentary.
My wife was going to watch it with me but didn't end up having the time. A blessing in disguise.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Woman in the Dunes aka Suna no onna (1964)

An existential film that delves into the pointlessness of it all by showcasing senseless repetition of action within a confined, trapped existence intermixed with moments of sensual pleasure.
A metaphor, perhaps for the perpetual grind of everyday life of sleep, eating, work, futile attempts at moments of pleasure and hope only to fail and fall back into the familiarity of pointless behavior.

An entomologist (bug enthusiast) wanders in a desert, capturing and studying insects, only to find himself snared and cooped up in a sandpit with a woman who knows nothing else but the endless life of sand and nightly shoveling to keep it from encasing her home.

Like him, I spent much of it in a permanent scowl that continues to linger as I write this. Being unable to decipher the point of it all while battling the simple truth of feeble struggling to climb up a sandhill and its futility - welcoming the distractions of the, at times, almost microscopic closeups and poetic camerawork that, in itself, mirrors the point(lessness) of daily pursuit.

It is a film I fully respect but will most likely not revisit while still thankful for having seen it.