The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Y Tu Mamá También

Did you know that...
  • after Great Expectations and A Little Princess, Cuarón wanted to make a film that rejected typical Hollywood production conventions and techniques?
  • Cuarón's original script was very minimal and he kept developing it during filming, while welcoming input from the actors?
  • the entire film was shot with a handheld camera to evoke a documentary-like feeling?
  • Diego Luna wore a prosthetic penis to appear circumcised?
  • the ending scene with the characters drinking coffee was the first scene filmed?

New World - .....................I don't know. I didn't like most of this. It's obviously beautiful and I remember fleeting moments being incredible. But...........I don't know. By far my least favorite Malick.

Life Aquatic - I think I'm quickly cooling on Wes Anderson. I still love Rushmore. And Isle of Dogs is a recent favorite. But I don't know if I really love anything else anymore. Maybe a general intense like for most of his movies. Life Aquatic though has the distinction of being one of the few of his films that I really disliked when I first saw it. But then when I rewatched it slowly felt like it was creeping up on me. I feel it takes tonal chances that most of his movies are much too rigid to dare. The film doesn't really make sense as a film (even if it might narratively). And because of this, I almost feel I might like it even more if I give it a third go. And why not, I invested in Disney plus for Get Back, and there is almost nothign else worth watching on that.

Werckmeister Harmonies - Not the kind of movie I'm going to talk about much because it needs too much space. But it's a ****ing incredible thing. I definitely prefer it to Satantango (even if it's highs are higher). But, as an aside, so much time is spent staring at Tarr's later more deliberate work that I am just going to use this opportunity to say people really need to watch his earlier and much simpler first films. I can't remember any of their names beyond Family Nest, but I love all of those. Watch them! They aren't scary and won't take too long to get under your belt (comparatively, I imagine you could watch all of them in the time it takes to watch Satantango once)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either of today's movies. (I didn't watch any foreign language movies for this countdown because I recently watched about 100 of them for the last countdown.)

OK, I watched four movies today, two on the 100.

First, The Life Aquatic:

Decent storytelling, underuses some of the cast like Jeff Goldblum, and doesn't have as strong of an emotional ring as it's going for, but the vibrant settings and strong performances make it worth while. 73.

Second, Mother:

... What the living ****? That was one of the most nerve-racking things of all time. Excellent mystery-investigation setting, perfect performances, and I'm still getting over what I just saw. Not enough Jin-Tai, though. 96.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I saw Mother at some point in the past few years and remember liking it = might be due for a rewatch. I watched Y Tu Mama Tambien earlier this year and did not care for it.

I forgot the opening line.
I haven't seen Mother or Y Tu Mamá También and that's completely ruined a 75% 'seen it' ratio - sending it down to 50%. However, I do have another 2 films I very much want to see, so it all balances out.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Y Tu Mamá También was something I wanted to see when it came out but just have never gotten around to. I think I even have it on DVD. Mother was something I started watching but soon turned off because I wasn't in the mood and have never felt the need or urge to revist.

Something got stretched in Moonlight but I don't think it was a criteria... if you know what I mean
I'm pleased to see that someone around here will pick up the slack when I'm not here.

A system of cells interlinked
I've not seen either of the last two, so not much to add this time!

Countdowns are great.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Countdowns are great.
They are. Although the countdown has already started, and all ballots are in and counted, I am still watching films from the 2000s. A couple nights ago I re-watched something I hadn't seen in many years, and if I had watched it before the countdown, it probably would have made my list. Oh well, there is only so much time...

I haven't seen the next two, which makes it harder to leave a hint... but I'll try anyway

Suffering alone
Suffering in three
Tied to a chair
A clown smiling with glee

Sorry to say this, but that hint is pretty close to Saw.

And the first half says to me either Mystic River or O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Imma gonna guess Reservoir Dogs and It: Chapter Two

I invested in Disney plus for Get Back, and there is almost nothign else worth watching on that.
You clearly haven't watched The Cat from Outer Space yet!

I haven't seen the next two, which makes it harder to leave a hint... but I'll try anyway

Suffering alone
Suffering in three
Tied to a chair
A clown smiling with glee
Could it be!?!?!?

COULD IT BE!?!?!?!?!?!

Just this potential tease already has me fully engorged.