The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

As one can surmise from my quoted review I do like Malick's The New World an awful lot, though it did not make my ballot. It would have been in my top thirty-five or forty but not twenty-five. Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World is nowhere on my top one hundred. I love Peter Weir, especially the middle phase of his career from Gallipoli through The Truman Show, but this intentionally old-fashioned epic doesn't do anything for me.

And away we go.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

@Thief

Love your daily countdown follow-ups with reviews and stats, so cool!...You're sure setting that countdown host bar high, really high
Like I said, I doubt I can keep up with that but if there's something to be said, is that today was a hellish day at work, and still I found time to do that, so who knows

Awards

Speaking of awards, here are some of the awards that Master and Commander received...

• Academy Award for Best Cinematography (Russell Boyd)
  • Academy Award for Best Sound Editing (Richard King)
  • AFI Award for Ten Best Pictures of the Year
  • BAFTA for Best Costume Design (Wendy Stites)
  • BAFTA David Lean Award for Achievement in Directing (Peter Weir)
  • BAFTA for Best Production Design (William Sandell)
  • BAFTA for Best Sound (King, Doug Hemphill, Paul Massey, Art Rochester)

Among many others.

As for The New World, it won...

• ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress (Q'orianka Kilcher)
  • Mar de Plata Film Festival Kodak Award (Emmanuel Lubezki)
  • National Board of Review Award for Best Breakthrough Actress (Kilcher)
  • OFCS Award for Best Breakthrough Performance (Kilcher)
  • San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Cinematography (Lubezki)

For those that like to guess, much like today's entries, tomorrow entries also have to do with... water. One more than the other, but the "other" has what I think is a peripheral connection to water. I have to be vague, cause I haven't seen it and I don't wanna read too much, so there's that

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The MoFo tradition is to honor the One Pointers. What are those? Well, those are films that received exactly one point, meaning that a single person had them in their last spot

Frida (2002)

this one was mine. aw.

also, there were 2 movies I totally forgot about when making my list, and Still Walking was one of them.

also, there were 2 movies I totally forgot about when making my list, and Still Walking was one of them.
Fans of the film will say

For those that like to guess, much like today's entries, tomorrow entries also have to do with... water. One more than the other, but the "other" has what I think is a peripheral connection to water. I have to be vague, cause I haven't seen it and I don't wanna read too much, so there's that
Wild Guess: Finding Nemo and Signs

Trivia

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Did you know that...
  • only ten days of the filming actually took place at sea?
  • the rest of the film was shot on a full-scale replica ship in a 20 million gallon tank built for Titanic? (see above picture)
  • the film is the first non-documentary film shot in the Galápagos?
  • sound designer Richard King used a 24-pound and a 12-pound cannon to record the shooting?
  • Crowe and Bettany both learned to play the violin and the cello for the film, but their recording was ultimately dubbed?

Trivia

The New World

Did you know that...
  • Terrence Malick ended up cutting most of James Horner's score from the film? As a result, Horner referred to it as "the most disappointing experience" he had with a filmmaker.
  • Key scenes from Christopher Plummer were cut by Malick, and Plummer vowed never to work with him again?
  • Terrence Malick was a fan of Disney's Pocahontas? That's why he cast Irene Bedard and Christian Bale.
  • Kodak sent Terrence Malick a bottle of champagne after learning he had exposed over one million feet of their film stock?

I forgot the opening line.
One pointers : Mine was the Bobcat Goldthwait film World's Greatest Dad (2009) - I thought it would make the list as not too many people have seen it (you really should!)

I've seen 12 out of those others. Harry Brown is the best - a really good film that almost made my list. Watched Spiderman 3 in preparation for this countdown. This is England is really good. Atonement is brilliant - nearly made my list as well and I'm surprised it only got the single point. All or Nothing is a good one from Mike Leigh. Anger Management is one of the better films with Adam Sandler in (Punch-Drunk Love will surely rate here) and I watched The Fog of War for the first time in preparation for this countdown also - so that's paying off! Jason X I've seen along with every other Friday film. It's actually one of my favourites from that series. Remember the Titans got a run in my preparation too. It had me cheering. National Treasure I saw a little while ago for the first time. Saw The Bucket List a long time ago - very popular when it came out.

100. Master and Commander : The Far Side of the World - Watched this for the second time in preparation for this a few weeks ago. Visually impressive, with wonderful battle scenes, but I'd like to have seen more drama and character from the human representatives in this. I don't mind looking at it though. I could watch it again just for the cinematography. It captures the wonder of life at sea in that optic sense along with the splintered timber or roaring explosions during more hectic scenes. I'd hate to be wounded in that day in age...

99. The New World - I'm quite happy to see this on the list. I rate The New World very highly, even though I didn't vote for it. Contains the same lyrical sense that most of Terrence Malick's stuff does - and suits the former film on this countdown as a pair with it's visuals, which are sublime. Maybe I should have voted for it - I loved it dearly the first time I saw it. On a second viewing I did feel a bit like it was a little uneven, but if I were rating it this would still get a 9/10 from me.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Let the night air cool you off
Jason X was my one-pointer. I am happy that nobody else voted for it. It's a bad movie, but it's a lot of fun to watch, so it is a good movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Surf's Up got four votes in the Animation Countdown and sneaked onto the list at #99 back in 2014, but it gets very little love around here.

I watch this movie at least once a year and it's one of my go-to picks to cure sadness or boredom. I love the characters and the concept and it's just so light-hearted and fun. I highly recommend it.

My Ballot:
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

It's been many years since I watched Surf's Up, but I remember liking it. I probably should have rewatched it for this countdown, but it wasn't likely to make my list anyway. There are other animated movies that I know I like more than it that I couldn't find room for on my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I bet Beyond the Sea was @gbgoodies #25 movie. Good movie and I almost included it on my list.

Good guess.

Beyond the Sea was my 1-pointer. It wasn't strategically placed there. It just happened to end up there when I ranked my list. In addition to the movie having some great songs, I thought Kevin Spacey was great as Bobby Darin.