A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

EDIT: okay, sorry, it just dawned on me that you mean Polanski himself. Long day. Yes, I do understand that.
LOL. Nothing like that weird moment of self-doubt when you're like, "This person is crazy and clearly misunderstood this film. Unless . . .. *furious googling*"

I found her kind of annoying in Marnie. But she did give the world Melanie, who then gave the world Body Double, so I suppose it evens out.
I stand by the fact that the problem with Marnie is that the writing is really bad and Marnie is a poorly-developed character and in general, if I may flex some elitist sounding film terminology, the whole thing is a big pile of poop.

There's also, you know, Hitchcock brought in two members of his crew during the filming of The Birds and asked them to keep careful watch on the activities of Hedren, "when she left the set—where she went, who she visited, how she spent her free time".[46] He then advised her on what she should eat, whom she should see, and how she should live. He told the cast and crew they were not allowed to talk to her. Hedren's co-star in The Birds, Rod Taylor, later remembered, "Hitch was becoming very domineering and covetous of 'Tippi', and it was very difficult for her. No one was permitted to come physically close to her during the production. 'Don't touch the girl after I call "Cut!"' he said to me repeatedly".[24] Hitchcock also attempted, on one occasion, to grab and violently kiss Hedren in the back of a car as they drove onto the set.[24][47] Hedren told his assistant, Peggy Robertson, and the studio chief, Lew Wasserman, that she was becoming very unhappy about the whole situation. "But he was Alfred Hitchcock, the great and famous director, and I was Tippi Hedren, an inexperienced actress who had no clout".

There's also a chimpanzee, who proves integral to the proceedings.
Sold!

An appreciation for Tippi is not essential to one's enjoyment of the film. Suzanne Pleshette and Jessica Tandy are the MVPs.
My chimps will eat them both. You don't mess with the animal kingdom.

A lovely heart-warming film, and December is the perfect time to watch it. Do it!
IIRC Tak likes Ginger Snaps 2, and they'd make for a great double feature.

The Birds is some delightful camp.

My blind spots tend to be on the more exploitative side like Last House on the Left and Cannibal Holocaust, movies I’m not in a hurry to see.

And Tippi's lions will eat the chimps.
My chimps will eat them first. And they'll eat you too for your insolence.

I prefer Marnie to The Birds.

And in the lore of creepy Hitchcock, I once heard he once provided a birthday gift to her daughter of a look alike doll of her mother in a coffin.

A lovely heart-warming film, and December is the perfect time to watch it. Do it!
IIRC Tak likes Ginger Snaps 2, and they'd make for a great double feature.
I am already sufficiently intrigued. I just often have sequel hesitation when I love the original film.

My blind spots tend to be on the more exploitative side like Last House on the Left and Cannibal Holocaust, movies I’m not in a hurry to see.
Yeah, Cannibal Holocaust is not something I'm at all interested in.

Last House on the Left was interesting to me at the time because I'd just seen The Virgin Spring and it was bizarre seeing such a different style with the same story. Not sure if I could watch it again.

*logs off for the night to cool down*
I haven't seen The Birds, but I can still agree with your incandescent rage.

Marnie just . . . is not a good movie. For so many reasons, but especially its cheap psychology.

You know when a movie rubs you so much the wrong way that it's almost like a personal affront? That's how I feel about Marnie, and that was before I realized the totally messed up way that the themes of a man domineering (and "helping") a woman had creepy echoes with the actress herself.

I am currently, well, okay. I am watching a hockey game, but in the intermissions I am watching Bloodhound and liking it so far! But, yeah, very Perkins in the staging and pacing!

The trick is not minding
I prefer Marnie to The Birds.

And in the lore of creepy Hitchcock, I once heard he once provided a birthday gift to her daughter of a look alike doll of her mother in a coffin.

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen both, but I think I preferred Marnie as well.

That story, as I recall, was Melanie Griffith and the doll was of her mother, Tipi.

I am already sufficiently intrigued. I just often have sequel hesitation when I love the original film.
It's such a departure from the first film that it's easy to consider it a separate story altogether; (a story that happens to have a weird prologue involving a cat-lady.)

Wait, these are giant lion-eating chimps?
#teamChimp
No, they just believe in teamwork.