The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Still Walking is a quietly-powerful family drama, but not one of my faves from him. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is a solid
movie. I liked the characters and the action, plus I was impressed that we got to see the Galapagos Islands. The New World -
- breathtaking visually, but the two halves of the story (the two Johns) don't seem to fit together. Overall a very good start.

I haven't seen Still Walking, but I feel like I should probably add it to my watch list since I've liked all 6 of the other films by Kore-eda that I have seen.

I keep meaning to watch Master and Commander, but never seem to remember when I'm trying to find something to watch. Haven't seen The New World either, but that's because I have no desire to.

Seen: 0/2

My List:
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

65 points as a barometer doesn't fare well for a lot of films on my list.
I feel this. I'm pretty sure none of the films on the lower part of my list are going to make it now haha.

First, let me say that the banners are GORGEOUS!

I saw parts of Master and Commander in high school, but it wasn't my thing at the time. But now that I know it's a Peter Weir movie I might actually check it out today. So far the only Weir movies I've seen are Truman Show and The Last Wave, both of them among my favorite movies.

I'm not currently in tune with anything by Terrence Malick, but I'll get around to him once I'm done exploring the director's I'm already familiar with. I was planning on exploring more Peter Weir, anyway.

Never heard of Still Walking.

And one more thing... the fact that Kung Pow only got one point is disappointing. Stinky pits and all, baby.

Master and Commander was on my shortlist, but didn't make my ballot. I did vote for a couple of other Russell Crowe films though.

It's been ages since I last watched The New World, but I vaguely remember liking it. I haven't seen Still Walking.

My Ballot:
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

But upon reloading the page, the reps have gone...
It's Steve, he steals them. It's the only way he can get reps.

I haven't seen Still Walking and Master and Commander, but I have seen The New World and it was was #25 on my ballot. It's shot really well, it contains Malick's sensually pleasing poetic style, and, more importantly, it seems as if the characters are aware of their fates before it even happens to them, yet are resigned to them. The ending, in particular, ranks amongst the most powerful things Malick has ever done. One could criticize this film for its length and, while I struggled with it somewhat with my first viewing, it grew on me quite a bit when I revisited it.

25. The New World (#99)

Master and Commander is a damn fine film, wish they got around to making the supposed trilogy.

And we’re starting early with the Malick I see.

Master and Commander is a damn fine film, wish they got around to making the supposed trilogy.

Actually, up until I looked it up just now, I didn't even know it was a Napoleonic war film. If I had known that, I probably would've checked it out around the time I watched Abel Gance's Napoleon and finished the novel War and Peace.

Messes with the layout.

Also kinda dissonant: it's supposed to be a banner draped over the post, but there's nothing in that place to drape it over.

I might be able to add it back but it would need to be reworked or repositioned.

Yes, the banners/layout looks great too!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I see Matt's signature under one of my posts. It says: Bird Bod. And now here I am thinking...

Thanks, Deviantart. Now I gotta put up mental resistances.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

New World is the only eligible Malick film for this countdown.

The New World was my #7. We're getting T-Mal out of the way early i suppose.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I don't think Master and Commander was in range of landing in my top 25. It's one I might watch once in five years, but there's just not much of a draw there with me.

25. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (yeay-AAY!!!!!)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I hadn't heard of Still Walking until this, and I really haven't seen any of Kore-eda's work.

I saw Master and Commander for the first time just two years ago and, although I thought it was pretty good, I never really considered it.

As for The New World, I've never felt drawn to it. I've been approaching Malick's film with a bit of caution, but I suppose I'll get to it eventually.

I don't think Master and Commander was in range of landing in my top 25. It's one I might watch once in five years, but there's just not much of a draw there with me.

25. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (yeay-AAY!!!!!)
Wee-ooo-wee-oooooo...

Welcome to the human race...
Decent start to the list. I'd say Still Walking is my favourite of the bunch - watched it twice earlier this year and a movie's usually got to be pretty good for me to watch it more than once in a calendar year. Master and Commander and The New World are both solid enough in my estimation, even if I do think they're more good than great (though who knows how much that'd change if I gave them another shot).