The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ok, reveal will be in a few minutes.

Just to give a bit of a prologue, kinda similar to what happened on the Foreign Film Countdown, the movies at #101 and #100 were tied on points, and although the ballot count serves as our tie-breaker, it's fair to let you all know which one was #101.

Bonus faildiction (millennial edition v1.0)
101. The Titfield Thunderbolt: 50 Years On (2003)

65 points, 3 lists
Still Walking
Director

Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008

Starring

Hiroshi Abe, Kirin Kiki, Yui Natsukawa, Yoshio Harada

65 points, 4 lists
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Director

Peter Weir, 2003

Starring

Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, James D'Arcy, Edward Woodall

66 points, 5 lists
The New World
Director

Terrence Malick, 2005

Starring

Colin Farrell, Q'orianka Kilcher, Christopher Plummer, Christian Bale

There you go, people. Have at it!

As mentioned, both Still Walking and Master and Commander ended up with 65 points. But since the latter was in one more ballot than the other, it ends up at #100.

Still yet to see Still Walking but I usually quite like Koreeda's works so hopefully will get round to it at some point. Rewatched Master And Commander as prep for this and it's a good watch but was never in contention for a spot on my ballot. Not much of a Malick fan and have never been drawn to watch The New World.

Seen: 1/2 (Own: 1/2)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.0):
98. Catch Me If You Can (2002)
97. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
I like Master & Commander quite a lot. Respectable #100 pick.

I've not seen Still Walking; Master and Commander and The New World are both fine movies. Not on my list (or even considered) but they are solid entries.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
65 points as a barometer doesn't fare well for a lot of films on my list.

Haven't seen any of the 3.

Sedai
A system of cells interlinked
I briefly considered Master and Commander for my ballot, but ultimately, ended up pulling it. When I was finalizing my ballot, I was trying to ensure I was including films I liked from all genres, as well as animation etc. Master and Commander ended up getting cut so I could include an animated film. Anyway, great stuff, I love the score, and the tense scenes of nautical battle as we travel along with the crew aboard their little wooden world.

My one-pointer was 49 Up. I had a few reasons for choosing it: it's representative of a fascinating--if flawed in design and ethically dubious--documentary that it's hard to imagine being replicated in a social media age. It's not the best of the series, exactly (if I had to pick one I'd choose 28 Up), but it is good in and of itself, and they're really all of a piece. And, for another month at least, I'm 49 myself, so this particular episode is particularly meaningful for me right now.

Thanks again to Thief for running the countdown! And to Yoda for all of the other stuff.

I had Atanrjuat: The Fast Runner at #25 (my one pointer), a brilliant and important film.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Still Walking puts me to sleep everytime I try and watch it...Master and Commander got robbed.

Never heard of any of these.

Never heard of any of these.
whats a movie

mattiasflgrtll6
The truth is in here
Master and Commander got robbed.
Did it? It made the 100 spot over Still Walking, so would say it won.

And these are three good movies to start out the countdown. It's going to be a good one!

Reply to Topic