A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Thanks to @Torgo for directing me to the Mad God streaming site. (I can't find your original post now)

So yeah, this was incredible. It's not often that you get to see such a pure vision on the screen, but the indie nature of this production made that possible I guess. I kept dreading the inevitable introduction of some sort of plot that would eventually surface and rob the film of its abstract perfection, but that never happened. Instead, we're presented with various vignettes that are easily understood for the most part, but the ultimate point of it all is never made clear. (I acknowledge that this could be a drawback for some viewers. I was completely on board.) This could not have been made with studio backing, I'm sure. There's a lot to chew on (poor choice of words in this case) if you're inclined to dig deeper and unearth some sort of message, if you must. A few things occurred to me here and there that I'll keep to myself. Or you could just sit and experience the hellscape as it is.

If I have to nit-pick, I'll just say that the occasional appearance of human actors took me out of the film. Also, my version of this film would've included less feces.

In order to watch this I had to shell out $9 to the Hawaii Film Fest, and it stops streaming tomorrow, but if this sort of thing interests you keep an eye out for future blurays or streaming. I'll be buying it immediately.
Out of curiosity, where did you watch it? Now I'm curious.

Also, my version of this film would've included less feces.
Notice he said "less" and not "none".

Thanks to @Torgo for directing me to the Mad God streaming site. (I can't find your original post now)

So yeah, this was incredible. It's not often that you get to see such a pure vision on the screen, but the indie nature of this production made that possible I guess. I kept dreading the inevitable introduction of some sort of plot that would eventually surface and rob the film of its abstract perfection, but that never happened. Instead, we're presented with various vignettes that are easily understood for the most part, but the ultimate point of it all is never made clear. (I acknowledge that this could be a drawback for some viewers. I was completely on board.) This could not have been made with studio backing, I'm sure. There's a lot to chew on (poor choice of words in this case) if you're inclined to dig deeper and unearth some sort of message, if you must. A few things occurred to me here and there that I'll keep to myself. Or you could just sit and experience the hellscape as it is.

If I have to nit-pick, I'll just say that the occasional appearance of human actors took me out of the film. Also, my version of this film would've included less feces.

In order to watch this I had to shell out $9 to the Hawaii Film Fest, and it stops streaming tomorrow, but if this sort of thing interests you keep an eye out for future blurays or streaming. I'll be buying it immediately.
Awesome! Glad you liked it. It's pretty amazing that it looks and feels like an epic even though it's under 90 minutes.

According to the movie's website, it's not scheduled to be at any more film festivals after 11/28, so if anyone's interested, you should watch it tonight or tomorrow night if you can. If not, hopefully the website is kept up to date so you'll know how else you can see it.

Having now seen Last Night in Soho (which disappointingly does not have a theme song to the tune of "One Night in Bangkok"), I can guarantee that Crumbsroom will hate it. Baby Driver at least knew it was bull**** and the hollowness of the style could be enjoyed as an end unto itself. This one is awkwardly trying to make a point, so the overly studied style is more of a liability, as is the fact that it's nowhere mean enough to really channel its inspirations. Might be my least favourite thing Wright has done, although it has a substantially better lead performance than Scott Pilgrim.

Having now seen Last Night in Soho (which disappointingly does not have a theme song to the tune of "One Night in Bangkok"), I can guarantee that Crumbsroom will hate it. Baby Driver at least knew it was bull**** and the hollowness of the style could be enjoyed as an end unto itself. This one is awkwardly trying to make a point, so the overly studied style is more of a liability, as is the fact that it's nowhere mean enough to really channel its inspirations. Might be my least favourite thing Wright has done, although it has a substantially better lead performance than Scott Pilgrim.
It was easily my least favorite Wright film until I watched half of his Sparks doc.

Man, Sparks feels like an unfunny comedy skit that's taken on a life of its own.

It was easily my least favorite Wright film until I watched half of his Sparks doc.

Man, Sparks feels like an unfunny comedy skit that's taken on a life of its own.
I enjoyed the one Sparks album I listened to (Kimono My House), but I'm also a musical dumdum, so take that as you will.

My previous least favourite was Scott Pilgrim, but the problem there was mostly Michael Cera and the repetitive structure. He at least grasped the subject matter, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

I enjoyed the one Sparks album I listened to (Kimono My House), but I'm also a musical dumdum, so take that as you will.

My previous least favourite was Scott Pilgrim, but the problem there was mostly Michael Cera and the repetitive structure. He at least grasped the subject matter, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Actually, I remember finding Mae Whitman really annoying, but most of the other supporting performances were pretty good.

Actually, I remember finding Mae Whitman really annoying, but most of the other supporting performances were pretty good.
Mae Whitman was easily my least favorite part of SP. I like Cera in it, though I find it hard to believe that any of the love interests would find him appealing on any level.

However, none of it matches the sheer annoyance of Sparks or the misguidedness of Last Night's horrible third act, which undercuts everything it thinks it stands for and becomes a tone deaf and idiotic statement on gender and sex work. Dreadfully stupid.

Mae Whitman was easily my least favorite part of SP. I like Cera in it, though I find it hard to believe that any of the love interests would find him appealing on any level.
Cera is good at playing a dorky loser in theory, but he's also far from charismatic and ends up leaving a huge void in the middle of the movie. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are in contrast much more charismatic and dynamic in their loser-ish qualities and are better able to carry their films.

However, none of it matches the sheer annoyance of Sparks or the misguidedness of Last Night's horrible third act, which undercuts everything it thinks it stands for and becomes a tone deaf and idiotic statement on gender and sex work. Dreadfully stupid.
I'd disconnected from the movie well before then to be especially annoyed, but the climax did seal the deal.

Cera is good at playing a dorky loser in theory, but he's also far from charismatic and ends up leaving a huge void in the middle of the movie. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are in contrast much more charismatic and dynamic in their loser-ish qualities and are better able to carry their films.

I'd disconnected from the movie well before then to be especially annoyed, but the climax did seal the deal.
I'm not going to argue that Pegg and Frost aren't far better leads. Just that I don't mind Cera in the role and he makes sense as a rival to Schwartzman.

I was hanging by a thread, hoping that all of my issues would become non-issues with a strong climax only for the worst elements to kick in and bring the house of cards tumbling. It's well made but utterly empty and its own assurance of how clever and progressive it is, sabotages any good will Wright's deft hand could grant it.

Awesome! Glad you liked it. It's pretty amazing that it looks and feels like an epic even though it's under 90 minutes.

Keep an eye out for Junk Head. I watched a 30-minute version a few years ago and loved it. It appears that the full-length version got a release earlier this year.

Wonder Women (1973)

What a blast this was. Nancy Kwan is a brilliant surgeon who kidnaps male athletes in order to perform illegal operations for the wealthy in Manila. (Like transplanting old dudes' brains into the bodies of healthy Jai Alai players). The Wonder Women of the title are her security force, a group of ladies with martial arts skills and machine guns.

This is from the director of Blood Mania, and is a definite step up in just about every way. Lots of action, car chases, a basement full of freaks (including an ape-woman), Sid Haig in a ruffled shirt and Freddie Mercury moustache, sweet funk score, sweet 70s decor and fashions, just an all-around good time.

Dr Tsu and her latest victim prepare to engage in "brain-sex"

The only downer is some actual cockfighting footage that's a bummer to watch. Sensitive viewers can fast forward through that part.

Watched on Youtube. This appears to be a rip of the Vinegar Syndrome release.

Sid Haig in a ruffled shirt and Freddie Mercury moustache

Gonna need some screenshots.

Asking for a friend, of course.

I hated it for sure. Has left an awful aftertaste, and how does it even belong in a thread on horror anyway?