Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Ok, just to stir up some conversation as we approach the voting deadline... one of the voters just commented to me via PM, how few he felt "were worthy of being on the list", and how "relatively easy" it was for him to come up with just 25. Now, I still haven't sit myself to make my own list (I should probably send myself a PM), but I've been under the impression that I'm going to have a hard time choosing which ones to leave in, which ones to leave out, but who knows if it'll be the other way when I actually sit down to do it.

Now, we have 23 ballots so far... of those that have voted, or that are in the process of doing so, how hard has it been for you?

This is why I keep a log of every movie I see. That, and so any genre or year lists I make will be consistent with each other. The only challenge (occasionally) is making sure the choices fit in an honest order.

This is why I keep a log of every movie I see. That, and so any genre or year lists I make will be consistent with each other. The only challenge (occasionally) is making sure the choices fit in an honest order.
Yeah, I went to my Letterboxd list which makes it easier to pick which ones I will end up, but even then, I have a bunch of films with the same rating which makes the order/ranking extra tough

I actually just finished a list of 50, so I guess it's time now to trim it in half

Man there are not a lot of movies this decade that I’m passionate about, I had to dig deep just to get a list of 35 to have something to work with.

I just submitted a list. However there were only 10 picks.

To my taste there were not 25 great films from 2000-2009.

To get to 25 I would have to have included a number of films which were second rate, but not worthy IMO of a best list...

I realize that "top" films can simply mean someone's favorites, which is fine. But I couldn't get 25 of those either. Still it'll be interesting to see how the final films rate on the website.

Of the 10 I did pick, half are what I would consider great films. The other half are very good.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ok, just to stir up some conversation as we approach the voting deadline... one of the voters just commented to me via PM, how few he felt "were worthy of being on the list", and how "relatively easy" it was for him to come up with just 25. Now, I still haven't sit myself to make my own list (I should probably send myself a PM), but I've been under the impression that I'm going to have a hard time choosing which ones to leave in, which ones to leave out, but who knows if it'll be the other way when I actually sit down to do it.

Now, we have 23 ballots so far... of those that have voted, or that are in the process of doing so, how hard has it been for you?

I haven't started narrowing down my list yet, but I have about 15 movies that are guaranteed to make my list, but figuring out the rest of the list is going to be hard. The problem for me is that there are some movies that I think are great movies, but they're not the type of movies that I like to rewatch, so I don't really consider them favorites. Then there are other movies that I love watching over and over again, but they're not considered "great movies".

So if the list is supposed to be "great" movies, that would be one list, but if the list is supposed to be "favorite" movies, then that's a very different list. I usually choose to make my list "favorite" movies, which is why I tend to have a lot of movies on my list that don't make the countdown. (As I'm looking through my list of potential movies, I'm thinking that I might end up with a mixed list this time.)

I haven't started narrowing down my list yet, but I have about 15 movies that are guaranteed to make my list, but figuring out the rest of the list is going to be hard. The problem for me is that there are some movies that I think are great movies, but they're not the type of movies that I like to rewatch, so I don't really consider them favorites. Then there are other movies that I love watching over and over again, but they're not considered "great movies".

So if the list is supposed to be "great" movies, that would be one list, but if the list is supposed to be "favorite" movies, then that's a very different list. I usually choose to make my list "favorite" movies, which is why I tend to have a lot of movies on my list that don't make the countdown. (As I'm looking through my list of potential movies, I'm thinking that I might end up with a mixed list this time.)
I suppose this is a genuine concern by many when something like this comes up, and my advice would be to just make your list. It is *your* list, not the list that would get the "approval of the Legion of Film", but yours. So just put the things that you know you're going to feel comfortable with in the end.

Ok, what the heck. Just submitted my own ballot. Like I said a couple of posts ago, I didn't fiddle too much with the order beyond the Top 4 or Top 5, and the last 2 or 3.

Ok, what the heck. Just submitted my own ballot. Like I said a couple of posts ago, I didn't fiddle too much with the order beyond the Top 4 or Top 5, and the last 2 or 3.
I didn't receive your ballot, so something must have went wrong.

What the-? You didn't put Mall Cop on your ballot? How dare you!
What do you mean? I put it up from 1 to 25!

When I made my 2000's list I make it some sort of war where I start from the bottom two movies go against each other and work my way up. I also use my gut on which movies deserve to be on the list and movies I like also but feel thrown on there just because with no reason so I just push those movies to the side.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You guys have no idea how badly I wanted to program the ballot to refuse any other movie.

This made me wonder, is there a safeguard to prevent someone from accidentally, (or intentionally), putting the same movie on their list more than once?

I've never done one of these lists before, but I think I'm at a point in my life where I can show some interest... I'll read a bit further, but if I need some guidance as to how to do them hopefully someone here can help?

EDIT: Dang, Dec. 2 2021 isn't enough time for me to plunk my bottom down and get to casting... maybe next time...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

This made me wonder, is there a safeguard to prevent someone from accidentally, (or intentionally), putting the same movie on their list more than once?
Yup, it should produce an error.

And after a few issues I realized I could pretty easily program it to refuse films not released during the correct decade, too, so it should block that as well.

I've never done one of these lists before, but I think I'm at a point in my life where I can show some interest... I'll read a bit further, but if I need some guidance as to how to do them hopefully someone here can help?

EDIT: Dang, Dec. 2 2021 isn't enough time for me to plunk my bottom down and get to casting... maybe next time...
Everything you need to know it's on the first 2 or 3 posts on this thread, but if you need any further guidance, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. I'll be glad to clarify any doubts.

There's still a week left, so I still think you have time to come up with something. If you decide not to, it's still fine. We would still love to see you around the countdown, but it'd be great to have you participate as well.