Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

White Zombie is great. I would suggest avoiding the sequel, Revolt of the Zombies. No Bela, few memorable images, and unimaginably boring in every respect.
King of the Zombies is also pretty wretched. It's not officially connected, but it's from the same general era. It's more comedy than anything, which would be fine if it was funny but it isn't.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
A favorite from my school library

Where is Death Proof when we need him?

I live near Haddonfield, NJ, too. Fun fact: Deborah Hill, who co-wrote Halloween with Carpenter, is from Haddonfield, NJ.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I live near Haddonfield, NJ, too. Fun fact: Deborah Hill, who co-wrote Halloween with Carpenter, is from Haddonfield, NJ.
My father-in-law is from Haddonfield. We used to go there all the time to go to his mom (my wife's grandmother)'s place for holidays (mostly Passover and Thanksgiving). But just before the pandemic began she moved into facility for seniors in ... oh, **** ... Voorhees. Honestly I'm starting to wonder about that part of New Jersey ...

Victim of The Night
How the hell are you?

How the hell are you?

Fine, thanks. How are you? *farts*

I saw this movie three or four years ago when it had some buzz on another forum. The print, and now this has to be the most recurring theme of this entire thread, was very fuzzy and dim. And I really liked it.
We have talked about how a good, clear print has effected my viewing of Vampyr and Lemora, how would Messiah Of Evil fare?

Arletty has been estranged from her father, an artist, for some time now and has decided to travel to Point Dume (a real place!) when she loses contact with him altogether. The weekend that ensues will not go awesomely for her as this town is not full of friendly neighbors but rather disciples of the Blood Moon, The Dark Stranger, and Old Gods. Along the way she'll befriend an odd trio comprising an aristocrat and his two hangers-on who only make the proceedings feel more surreal but also add meaningful bodies to add to potentially add to the count. Will Arletty find her father? Will she give in to the sexual flirtations of the aristocrat? Will they all end up dead? Or worse?
One thing I can tell you is that if you go to see a movie in a haunted-ass town like this and the marquee just tells you your fate... listen to it.

How could I love this more?
Once again, this was a movie that I thought felt totally haunted and nightmare-like when I saw it on a bad print and it turns out to be much more straightforward when I see a good one. I wonder if this movie, like Lemora, didn’t make sense when I was expecting it to (my first watch) and then made sense when I wasn’t (this time).

So, what feelings did I come away with on this pristine re-watch.
Well, for one thing, it’s even more of a Lovecraft movie than I remembered.
Is this really just The Shadow Over Innsmouth? 13 minutes in that’s what I found myself wondering. It's a really good version of Shadow Over Innsmouth, if it is, but that sure seems like what this is.
So, ultimately, like Lemora, this is another movie that is so much better than it should be. Or, it almost makes one wonder, when people can make movies like this for nothing and we get unbelievable **** for $100M. Maybe it’s actually simpler than they’re making it.
But this is really good. Better than Let’s Scare Jessica To Death, for example. I think they sorta belong in the same category, with Lemora and some of the other rare low-budget 70s flicks. I mean, these people are really trying and this film looks and feels wonderful for the genre.

Is this really an Art Movie masquerading as a Horror Movie?
It pains me to say this, as I’ve been championing Lemora for over a decade, but I think MoE has actually surpassed Lemora to me. Now it may have been that I saw the new print of Lemora first and it padded the blow of seeing the new print of this one. It may be that my expectations were much lower for this. It may be that I am in a better mood tonight. It may be that I smoked better weed. But it is what it is.
This movie was phenomenal. This is (sigh) probably taking Lemora’s place as my “Best Horror Movie You’ve Never Seen Even If You Think You Like Horror Movies”.
I expect I will watch this one every year from now forward.

I first caught this about 10 years ago. There was a free double feature showing of Carnival of Souls and Messiah of Evil at a local... Idk how to describe it. I had gone mostly because I had been meaning to see CoS for quite a while. That'll always be the double feature/pairing in my mind for MoE. Though, I do recall also having similar Shadow over Innsmouth vibes from it (and for the initial viewing made the abrupt ending feel... appropriate). I know the filmmakers said they made a horror movie because they were told that was the only way to get funding for a first film. And so they like to cite European cinema as an influence (I want to say they'll cite Antonioni as an influence. I guess the scenes of the woman walking through the town late at night by herself would be the closest vibe-wise there).

It's also that weird movie that because I had never heard of it until late in life, I assumed it was basically unheard of. But then I might randomly mention it to people and sometimes get an off-handed recognition of it, making me think it's more well known in certain circles.

I have not seen Lemorah. I guess I should add it to future lists.

ETA: wrt Annie Hall, if you wanted to establishing shot that conveys Southern California as a soulless area with a single marquee title, it's hard not to think of a more appropriate movie.

I did Google it, to find out Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye is a 50's movie with Jimmy Cagney. I wasn't able to determine if there's a foreshadowing or establishing movie marquee in there as well.

Victim of The Night
I was hoping for "Wyatt, I am rolling", but I'll take it.
I'm fine. Nice to see you again.

Now it may have been that I saw the new print of Lemora...
That's what I get for just skimming this thread, but a new print of Lemora? A NEW PRINT OF LEMORA! Now I'll have to figure where to find this immediately.

Victim of The Night
That's what I get for just skimming this thread, but a new print of Lemora? A NEW PRINT OF LEMORA! Now I'll have to figure where to find this immediately.
I had to buy it but it was easily available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002M5TRU...roduct_details

And I don't know how new it was but it was crystal clear as opposed to the one I had seen which looked like an old celluloid print of the movie from 1973 that had been left in a hot basement for 40 years.

Good to see you found your way home

They can't kill me. It's a blessing and a curse.

Good to see you found your way home

Blame Stu.

Posting this in case Wooley has never seen it. (But he probably has.)

My new time-travel fantasy is to be able to see the original stage show in London '73. Curry says here the room only held 60 people. I'm sure all of the extracurricular audience stuff hadn't started yet, but I'm sure it was something to behold all the same.

Victim of The Night

Posting this in case Wooley has never seen it. (But he probably has.)

My new time-travel fantasy is to be able to see the original stage show in London '73. Curry says here the room only held 60 people. I'm sure all of the extracurricular audience stuff hadn't started yet, but I'm sure it was something to behold all the same.
And now I wanna watch Rocky Horror in black and white.

It's probably the moustache, but Curry would have made a terrific Freddie Mercury.