Cried after seeing a movie before? I did today

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't cry at movies were I know they are going to be really sad like Schindler's List or Titanic. But I cry at ones where I am taken by surprise like Mysterious Skin, or Ice Age.

I think it depends on one’s mental state more than the film. I have difficulty crying irl, even at funerals, in pain, from stress or whatnot. Never do, it’s just not my thing. Among the host of my emotional issues, heh. But very rarely with films I do. Not that they have to be particularly sad: last two times were both in 2017, I, Tonya and Three Billboards…. I think it’s something to do with relating to a film etc.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Some scenes sometime create a weird sense of overwhelming emotion in me. I usually fight that back (not really making an effort, just mostly an awareness) to stay within the viewing experience, but sometimes it does take over and the waterworks might kick in. Usually, it's an energy that grows within me. I might have to pause the movie to discuss the scene with whoever may be unlucky enough to be watching with me. That then turns into a jittery emotional existential dive in a 10-minute desperate hope that they're picking up on the same vibe. USUALLY they never watch another movie with me after that.

Sometimes, a scene or even just a line from a character might stir my emotions as if some great universal truth has just been confirmed. Other times, some scenes have put me in a weird state of depression. It's been maybe a decade or so since I've watched Moulin Rouge! as something in that movie knocked me out of commission for probably three days.

Off the top of my head, The Great Gatsby, Mother!, The English Patient, The Fountain, Galaxy Quest (because it's just so adorably sweet), Michael Clayton, Solaris, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Dracula Musical gets me every time) all hit me in one way or another.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Sheeeeit, I cried when they destroyed the Enterprise in Star Trek 3.
At a late friend's memorial, I was tempted to repeat Kirk's eulogy for Spock from the end of Star Trek II, but I didn't as it probably would've been seen as bad taste (my dead friend probably would have been the only one of a few who would have appreciated it).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Phew, only total pussies cry during movies!

For one, I cried during 160 films.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Victim of The Night
After a movie, not so much, but during... yeah, dozens of movies.
I mean, I saw Crouching Tiger in the theater four times and cried in the same scene three of them.
But if you really wanna watch me sob uncontrollably, the scene in The Color Purple where Shug Avery takes the whole juke joint to meet her father in the church... I mean, Niagara Falls, Frankie Angel.

It's not a movie, but there's an episode of the cartoon Bluey, which is on Disney+, called "Sleepytime" that makes me misty-eyed just thinking about it. Not to oversell it, but I'm not surprised it has a perfect 10 rating on IMDB.

At a late friend's memorial, I was tempted to repeat Kirk's eulogy for Spock from the end of Star Trek II, but I didn't as it probably would've been seen as bad taste (my dead friend probably would have been the only one of a few who would have appreciated it).
Spock dying was tough, but I knew that something fishy was going on with that mind-meld moment. Even so, I was close to weeping like a baby when Kirk got choked up at the end. The Enterprise, however, was obviously not coming back (KABOOM!) and was a key character (of sorts) in the franchise. "In that ship, I have seen many lights..." It was kind of like watching your childhood home get blown up.

Ever since they have been blowing up the Enterprise seemingly for fun, but not really realizing why Star Trek III was a big moment.

You probably made the right call on the eulogy, but I suspect that most would not have even caught it was a quotation and would have only wondered at your brevity.

Spock dying was tough, but I knew that something fishy was going on with that mind-meld moment. Even so, I was close to weeping like a baby when Kirk got choked up at the end. The Enterprise, however, was obviously not coming back (KABOOM!) and was a key character (of sorts) in the franchise. "In that ship, I have seen many lights..." It was kind of like watching your childhood home get blown up.

Ever since they have been blowing up the Enterprise seemingly for fun, but not really realizing why Star Trek III was a big moment.

You probably made the right call on the eulogy, but I suspect that most would not have even caught it was a quotation and would have only wondered at your brevity.
I had planned to just work it into a slightly longer eulogy (so it would just seem like words that were coming to me). I had even practiced Kirk's pause where he gets choked up when he says, "His was the most... human..."

But I figured too many people would recognize it (and I can't seem to speak Kirk lines without doing an exaggerated Shatner imitation)... and they would think I was making light of my friend's death by putting on a show during his memorial.

So, yeah, I agree - I'm glad I didn't do it. It might have gotten some laughs in heaven, but probably not on Earth.

P.S. Ironically, the last movie that friend and I saw together was "Star Trek" (the 2009, J.J. Abrams abomination). My friend liked it. I, on the other hand... well, I think how I felt about it is obvious!

P.S. Ironically, the last movie that friend and I saw together was "Star Trek" (the 2009, J.J. Abrams abomination). My friend liked it. I, on the other hand... well, I think how I felt about it is obvious!

I wanted to like it, but JJ Abrams makes films in the same the way that pickpockets operate, distraction, misdirection, and then the slow realization on the way home that you've been robbed. I've been "Mystery Boxed" one to many time by Mr. Abrams. His Trek movies, in particular, have been an exercise in keeping the plot moving faster than the plot holes.

I'm getting old and 2009 doesn't seem too long ago to me now. Sorry for your loss.

Phew, only total pussies cry during movies!

For one, I cried during 160 films.
Hi Minio,

If you didn't cry, did you have any other kind of emissions of bodily fluids during any of the movies you watched?

Hi Minio,

If you didn't cry, did you have any other kind of emissions of bodily fluids during any of the movies you watched?

Well, name the genre....

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hi Minio,

Sure, Marvel movies make my eyes bleed.