2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

If anyone can recommend a good one from the Polish Film School, lay it on me.
Kanal is excellent.

Also answers to Jabba
This appears to be part of a trilogy? (That's based on approx 30 seconds of research on my part.) Is it ok to watch it out of sequence?

Yes they are only thematically connected.

And thank you, sir!
This appears to be part of a trilogy? (That's based on approx 30 seconds of research on my part.) Is it ok to watch it out of sequence?
Is it? ( :googles: ) It is! Yeah, I just watched this without watching A Generation. A glance at the wiki page of that one suggests that the two aren't related except thematically, I guess? In my experience, at least, the sequence doesn't matter.

It looks like all three films are on Criterion if you prefer to do it in order, though.

How soon is now?
watch 10 films released in 2021
1 Red Dot
2 Jakob's Wife
3 Oxygene
4 Fear Street 1994
5 Fear Street 1978
6 Fear Street 1666
7 Godzilla vs Kong
8 Martyrs Lane
9 Censor
10 In the Earth

I actually completed Nightmare Mode before the Main Challenge.

5 movies left!

nice

Down to my last category really (I have two more films from Demy to watch and I need to finish Foreign Correspondent for my actor category), and trying to decide on a country. I was originally going to do another Fassbinder binge (and thus do 10 German films), but I am wrapping up a 10-film run from Demy and I'm not sure I want to do that immediately again. Then I was going to do Japan, but I realized that's what I did the first time around.

I'm kind of in a thriller/action mood, so maybe I should go with South Korea? Thoughts?

The trick is not minding
Down to my last category really (I have two more films from Demy to watch and I need to finish Foreign Correspondent for my actor category), and trying to decide on a country. I was originally going to do another Fassbinder binge (and thus do 10 German films), but I am wrapping up a 10-film run from Demy and I'm not sure I want to do that immediately again. Then I was going to do Japan, but I realized that's what I did the first time around.

I'm kind of in a thriller/action mood, so maybe I should go with South Korea? Thoughts?
Italy. You can cover Giallo and Polizioteschi films, which I feel are under seen, particularly the latter.
Including myself.

Italy. You can cover Giallo and Polizioteschi films, which I feel are under seen, particularly the latter.
Including myself.
I thought about Italy. But I guess I'm in more of a contemporary mood. I'll keep it in my back pocket, though.

The trick is not minding
I thought about Italy. But I guess I'm in more of a contemporary mood. I'll keep it in my back pocket, though.
Hmm. There’s always China/Hong Kong. Wuxia and the heroic bloodshed action films that are contemporary.

Hmm. There’s always China/Hong Kong. Wuxia and the heroic bloodshed action films that are contemporary.
I started mapping out some Korean films. I'll see how I feel after one or two. I'm in a weird mood, movie-wise. I sort of want something a bit intense, but in this sweet spot of not being too bleak or sad.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I started mapping out some Korean films. I'll see how I feel after one or two. I'm in a weird mood, movie-wise. I sort of want something a bit intense, but in this sweet spot of not being too bleak or sad.
Korean films do hit that sweet spot but, like anything, it can be tricky.

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director (Demy)
Les Horizons Morts
Le Sabotier du Val de Loire
Ars
Lola
La Luxure
Bay of Angels
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Young Girls of Rochefort
Slightly Pregnant Man
Une Chambre en Ville

Another really good batch. Favorites were definitely Le Sabotier du Val de Loire, Bay of Angels, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Young Girls of Rochefort, and Une Chambre en Ville.

A Slightly Pregnant Man was the only one I wouldn't strongly recommend.

F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors & cinematographers]
1. Elia Kazan - Panic In The Streets (1950)
2. Akira Kurosawa - Sanshiro Sugata (1943)
3. Yul Brynner - Villa Rides (1968)
4. Janet Leigh - Pete Kelly's Blues (1955)
5. Gordon Willis -The Godfather Part III (1990)

(2 films remaining)

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country (South Korea)
The Housemaid
Beyond All Barriers
Incoherence
Influenza
Hand in Hand
Seoul 1988
The Call
Time to Hunt
Forgotten
The Chase

I'm so close! Just one more film from another category and I'm finished!

From the collection above I really loved The Housemaid and Hand in Hand. I really liked The Call (at least until it botched that ending!) and Forgotten.

DONE!!

This second time around the track I made room for more shorts and was less concerned about watching "classics" and tried to go with what interested me most. Definitely saw some great stuff!

Regular Mode  

Nightmare Mode  

DONE!!

This second time around the track I made room for more shorts and was less concerned about watching "classics" and tried to go with what interested me most. Definitely saw some great stuff!

Regular Mode  

Nightmare Mode  
Very impressive feat to finish twice in one year. Congrats.

I also chose Open Hearts for my Dogme. Did you review it somewhere? I haven't watched it yet.

Very impressive feat to finish twice in one year. Congrats.

I also chose Open Hearts for my Dogme. Did you review it somewhere? I haven't watched it yet.
I believe I reviewed it in the "Rate the Last Movie . . . " thread. I think that if you search the film here you can see all of the reviews for it.

The trick is not minding
Update 12/1! Rounding the finish line!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode