You can only ask 10 questions...

Tools    

to someone about their love for cinema. What would they be? This is for a project I'm working on. I'd be really grateful for your suggestions.

For example, "What is the best movie of all-time?" usually is a non-starter as people find it difficult to answer. However, if you ask "What is the movie most special to you?" it tends to draw out a more compelling answer.

Another one is, "What is your favourite quote, or dialogue?" There are probably many of us that quote movies daily.

Thanks for your help.

Question 1. What is your favorite film and why is it Blade Runner? The answer to this question lets me know if I am dealing with a reasonable person or a barbarian.

Question 2. Name 4 films from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. The answer here will reveal the breadth and depth of their viewing. If you can't name "four from four," then you probably are not much of a viewer. If the films named are just barely remembered and rather obvious (e.g., Godfather, Jaws, Back to the Future, The Matrix) it is a person who likes film, but not really a film nut. A person who has seen films, but likely not a person who will want an in-depth convo about film-nerd stuff.

Question 3. What is your favorite shot in a film? And which shot from Blade Runner is it?

Question 4. Name three films that you cannot stand. There's no accounting for taste, but it is worth it to know if your tastes don't match. If they can't stand what you love, it will be best to diplomatically steer around strong opinions.

Question 5. What is your favorite film genre? The answer here will reveal more about personal taste and familiarity with basic filmic categories.

Question 6. How about those new Star Wars movies? If they indicate any appreciation for these films, throw your drink in their face and walk away.

Question 7. Name four good films starring Mickey Rourke. Nod in approval if they list Angel Heart and The Wrestler. If they include Sin City nod in semi-approval, but frown slightly. If they try to successfully answer the question (i.e., supply four films), put your hand on their shoulder gently, make eye contact, and inform them that it was a trick question and that they will not be advancing to the next question.

Question 8. What makes Keanu Reeves a great actor? Another trick question. Keanu is NOT a great actor, but on all accounts a great human being and a tolerable action star.

Question 9. What's your take on the Coen Brothers?

Question 10. Might I trouble you to purchase us some more Milk Duds? An important question. One must know if one has a wingman.

Are you picky and do you pay a lot of attention of which movies you watch?

Why do you watch movies?
What was the before and after film (usually the great transcendent moment) that triggered your love of film?
What was your worse viewing experience?
What's your desert island film?

Do you like movies about gladiators?
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Are you, Alice, menstruating right now?
Why does God need a starship?
What's in the box?
Who's Keyser Soze?
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What...is your favorite color?
Who's Harry Crumb?

The trick is not minding
Can only think of 5 atm:

1). What are your favorite film movements?

2) which countries do you prefer to watch films from?

3). Which directors old, and new are amongst your favorite?

4). Which actors and actresses?

5). What film genres do you enjoy most?

Why do you watch movies?
What was the before and after film (usually the great transcendent moment) that triggered your love of film?
Good questions! So just for fun I'll answer you

Why do you watch movies?
That's actually tough for me to answer. I know it's not for the same reason most MoFos watch movies.

I suppose I mainly watch movies to explore the avenues of cinema that I'm interested in (genera, time periods, actors/actresses, directors) and to 'time travel' to see how things use to be in the past. And I'm a sucker for an actress that charms me! She doesn't have to be a beauty, just have something that makes her stand out or special.

The film that got me interested in exploring cinema was All About Eve (1950). I had recorded it on a VHS tape along with some history shows from my parent's cable TV...At first I didn't want to watch an old black and white film. Once I did watch it, I was fascinated by the acting and by seeing a world gone by, that was captured and preserved on film. That was over 20 years ago I don't remember what I watched after that

Some movies bore me. Some suck because they insult the audience's intelligence. Not that I claim to be all that smart myself, but I hate dumb movies, unless they are cleverly dumb and revel in their dumbness.

None, I think being marooned on a desert island with only one film would be some new kind of hell. If I watch a film too many times I start disliking it. I could only image being stuck with one movie to watch over and over again and over again.

1) If you could eat movies, explain exactly how your least favorite slowly poisons you to death. How your favorite fills you with super powers

2) If no films existed, and you could make the very first one, what would you choose as your subject?

3) Do you find value in watching a movie you hate?

4) Next to the director, who is the next most important person in the making of a film.

5) Should civilization end if there are no more movies?

6) Pick a film with a beautifully rendered narrative. What remains if we indelicately yank out the spine of its story.

7) Do you value the experience of boredom in films. Why or why not?

8) Think of a genre you despise. Articulate why it is not worthy of cinematic articulation.

9) Have you ever allowed a film to challenge your assumptions of what a film should be? If so, explain any example of this. Did it make you question other assumptions you have.

10) If your 100 favorite movies were erased from existence, would you still be a fan of films. Guess what your new favorite movie is.