The Twilight Zone Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've sent my nominations. Really wanted to nominate a time travel episode - there are some excellent ones in the original 2nd Season - Back There, The Odyssey of Flight 33 and especially A Hundred Yards Over the Rim - but none of them come off with enough oomph. I went with two noms that had more feeling to them...

"The Odyssey of Flight 33" was on my short list too.

I would do something like this for Big Bang Theory or Mike and Molly. Unfortunately I'm probably alone on that haha.

I've only seen a few episodes of "Mike and Molly", but I would love a HoF for "The Big Bang Theory". It's one of my all-time favorite shows. I've seen every episode several times.

There's a couple of original series The Twilight Zone that I thought for sure would be chosen. Well, there's still time! So far all these look to be awesome.

I think the two biggest surprises of episodes that weren't nominated are "To Serve Man" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". I was sure that both of those would be nominated.

I see a couple of iconic including one of mine, was very tempted to do Shatner's episode and there was a personal favorite with Robert Redford I nearly went with, then I saw my second nom and it won out. A few faves showed up -- YAY. A few I had utterly forgotten, so, again, YAY.

"Nothing in the Dark" was another episode that I considered nominating. I think it's a very underrated episode.

(Sorry I'm not participating in the tournament, so forgive me if I just comment)... Since I love the original show so much, it's easier for me to think of the episodes I don't like... and there are a few. Some I like as one-time watches but don't feel the need to see them again, others I'll re-watch whenever I find them on.

Off the top of my head - I never like the one with Gary Crosby ("Come Wander With Me")... don't know why (maybe the repetition of the song?) - saw it the other night - still not wowing me.

Feel free to comment on any and/or all of the episodes. Even if you don't join the HoF, you're always welcome to join in on the conversations,

I don't remember the episode "Come Wander With Me", but I just looked it up, and it sounds interesting.

Feel free to comment on any and/or all of the episodes. Even if you don't join the HoF, you're always welcome to join in on the conversations,

I don't remember the episode "Come Wander With Me", but I just looked it up, and it sounds interesting.
Thanks, gbg!

I actually kind of like Crosby's "hep cat" character and his beatnik lingo, but I don't know - I just get bored with that episode before it ends.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I think the two biggest surprises of episodes that weren't nominated are "To Serve Man" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". I was sure that both of those would be nominated.
I was expecting to see them when I joined up as well.
"Nothing in the Dark" was another episode that I considered nominating. I think it's a very underrated episode.
I feel the very same. Quite underrated and quite beautiful when it's all said and done.

I thought for sure you'd choose "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" One of my favs.

Setting episodes themselves aside, favorite title?

Mine might be "I Shot an Arrow", "And When the Sky Was Opened," "The Four of Us Are Dying," "Nightmare as a Child" (okay, this is also one of my favorite episodes!), "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room," "A Quality of Mercy", "Nothing in the Dark," "The Midnight Sun", "The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms," "Number 12 Looks Just Like You," "I am the Night, Color Me Black."

I'm sure I'll talk about this more as I review individual episodes, but the Twilight Zone series was my first exposure to TV as a kid where there were unconnected, stand-alone episodes. (I was VERY upset the first time my parents explained that there wasn't going to be a "next time" for the characters in that episode and, yes, sometimes the endings were sad). I think that the show is where I get my enjoyment for short stories, and specifically collections like what Alice Sheldon writes.

I thought for sure you'd choose "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" One of my favs.

I usually try to pick something that's lesser known for HoFs, rather than something that I think everyone has already seen, even if I think the more well-known one could win.

But I almost nominated the other Shatner TZ episode, "Nick of Time". That's a good one too, but I rarely hear anyone talk about it.

Setting episodes themselves aside, favorite title?

Mine might be "I Shot an Arrow", "And When the Sky Was Opened," "The Four of Us Are Dying," "Nightmare as a Child" (okay, this is also one of my favorite episodes!), "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room," "A Quality of Mercy", "Nothing in the Dark," "The Midnight Sun", "The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms," "Number 12 Looks Just Like You," "I am the Night, Color Me Black."
"I Shot an Arrow into the Air" was in my final shortlist for my second nom.

I'm sure I'll talk about this more as I review individual episodes, but the Twilight Zone series was my first exposure to TV as a kid where there were unconnected, stand-alone episodes. (I was VERY upset the first time my parents explained that there wasn't going to be a "next time" for the characters in that episode and, yes, sometimes the endings were sad). I think that the show is where I get my enjoyment for short stories, and specifically collections like what Alice Sheldon writes.
I prefer series that have stand-alone episodes. My memory is pretty bad sometimes, so I usually forget the cliffhangers by the next episode, so I need to make sure that I don't miss the recap at the beginning of each episode or I'll be lost.

I watched a few episodes already, but when I started to write about them, I realized that it's hard to write about these episodes without giving away spoilers. I'll have to think about it a while before I post anything about them.

I think this should be okay without giving away any important spoilers. (It's a little generic, but it gives an idea of my opinion of the episode.)

I watched Season 1 Episode 2: Wordplay/Dreams For Sale/Chameleon of the 1985 Revival series. It's actually three episodes in one, so I'm not sure which one was the one that was the actual one that it was nominated for, but my basic opinion works for all three segments.

One of the things that I love about the original series is that each episode has something that I would call a "wow moment". That's the moment in the episode when something happens, and your brain says "Wow. I can't believe that just happened,"

The problem with these segments from the 1985 revival is that none of them have that "wow moment". They just have a story that kind of boggles the mind, but it doesn't really have the charm of the original series.

The third segment, "Chameleon", probably comes closest to that moment, but it just misses.

I watched a few episodes already, but when I started to write about them, I realized that it's hard to write about these episodes without giving away spoilers. I'll have to think about it a while before I post anything about them.
I know how you feel. I haven't been able to write anything without including spoilers. I'll try to remember to add warnings, but if you see my name, don't read my writeup.

...if you haven't seen the episode already, that is.

That's the low bar for me...

1. Twilight Zone (1959)
2. Black Mirror (2011)

3. The Hammer House of Horror (1980)
4. Tales of the Unexplained (1979)
5. Tales from the Crypt (1989)
6. Outer Limits (1963)
7. Creepshow (2019)
8. Are you Afraid of the Dark (1990)
9. Eerie Indiana (1991)
10. Night Gallery (1969)
11. The Outer Limits (1995)
12. The Twilight Zone (1985)
13. The Twilight Zone (2019)
14. Tales from the Dark Side (1983)
15. American Horror Stories (2021)
If you have access to Tubi you might want to check out Theatre Macabre.
From Poland 1971, with Christopher Lee introducing every story. Some of the episodes don't come close to being "macabre", but the show still has a nice early-70s Euro-horror vibe if that's your thing.