MoFo Fantasy Football 2021 - The Season

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I was sitting in a cinema waiting for a 2:30 start to Dune, when Waller's status became available for the day. I was sitting next to Beantown Champs, and we had both been monitoring fantasy closely, as he has Waller in his other league. I had already slotted Ertz, as I wasn't going to be checking the app during the Villeneuve epic. Turned out OK, as Zack found the end zone this week.

Yet another week where it was almost over before it even began, and when The Bengals beat the ever livin' sheee-it out of Baltimore and Lamar Jackson spent the last few drives on the bench it was officially over. I did break 75 points this week but could not crest a hundred. Like most weeks I was not in the least bit competitive. Had I started Devonta Freeman in my FLEX spot I would have gone over a hundred total, but that only means I would have wound up losing by around twenty points instead of over thirty.

As I have said before, the one and only way I can eek out a win is if Lamar Jackson and Davante Adams both hit the high ends of their ceilings at the same time. If they can get me around 60 or so points between them I may be able to get another fifty or so from the rest of my starters, on a great week where everything goes right. Which means I am essentially dead in the water, hoping lightning will strike three or four times in one spot. Not a recipe for success.

Deebo Samuel and Davante Adams both turned out decent, admirable Fantasy efforts in Week 7, scoring a TD each. But that is not nearly enough. I also have Jerry Jeudy about to reemerge from the IL, so honestly my WRs are not the problem. The problem is I have no viable, truly consistent RBs. Chase Edmonds is ostensibly juggernaut Arizona's number one back and does get the majority of the carries. His yardage numbers are quite good, really. But every time they get near the end zone they pull him and let Conner get the scores, so in Fantasy terms he's pretty well useless, certainly as a top line starter. Weeks 3, 4, and 5 Antonio Gibson almost looked like a RB1, but Washington is a mess and his banged-up shins can only do so much. And without any kind of production from my RBs I gots no shot, apart from outlier huge scores from my two legit stars.

The only thing keeping me out of twelfth place is that Yoda is having an even worse season than me and I managed to get one of my two wins against his squad. I have not given up, I will continue to make moves and watch the waiver wire for glimmers of hope, see if that lightning will strike...but I truly expect to win zero more games the rest of the way. That is not cynicism, that is math. To those of you scheduled to play me from here on out, Merry Christmas. For those of you who drew me twice this season, Happy New Year, too.

Oh, well. At least I continue to win in my other league. I'll be 5-2 there, the same record at the top with three other teams, and in third place by my point total. My wife is leaping into first place. So I am having some fun this year. Just not with the sorry bastards collectively known as The LOVE Brokers.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I love Holden's posts. He has been a great addition to the league, regardless of the game results.

I am that guy in my other league. I cannot win a damned game over there, even though at the start of the season, I was sure this was the league I would be struggling in. Hey, there is plenty of time left in the season!

Oof. Packers just placed Adams on COVID list.
Oh, I am painfully aware. Davante is the one major player I have in both of my leagues. With Green Bay playing in the Thursday night game the window for him to test out of the protocol is very small. He needs two negative tests on back-to-back days. Meaning if he doesn't pass the test today and tomorrow he can't get on the plane and will not play. If it were a Sunday or MNF game he'd have better odds of making it.

Hey, it's only a marquee match up and potential shoot out with Arizona, what do I need his probable fifteen targets and three touchdowns for?

Oy.

Dammit i dropped the ball week 7, if I had been paying attention to the league sunday morning I would have known Sterling Shepard was Out and my fill in would have netted me enough points to beat Petey. This loss will spell the difference if I get into the playoffs or not.

The trick is not minding
Is it just me or is there more parity this year in our league? Not much separating 1-10 really.
I think last year there were two clear favorites at this point and everyone else was chasing the 3-6 spots.

This year, I feel like Empire and LKA, despite both being 5-2, are capable of losing to anyone.

Empire, in particular, is hampered by having two of his top RB’s on IR, which makes things even more dicey for him each passing week until they return.

LKA suffers from lack of RB depth, but his WR’s and QB make up for anything they lack, and Kamara can still cover whatever Connor can’t accomplish.

If anyone, I expect LKA to end up in the top spot, however, by years end, unless he suffers a losing streak and someone strings together a decent winning streak.

The schedule has been kind to me this season. I've had 200 fewer points scored against me than several other teams. I've also been fortunate to have a few of my recent trade offers declined or ignored. I was unable to move Damien Harris or Jaylen Waddle despite multiple attempts. Both have put up nice numbers the past two weeks, so I'm happy to still have them. Also tried to trade for Miles Sanders late last week, and now he's week-to-week with an ankle injury, so I'm happy a deal wasn't done.

My opponent this week, @TONGO, is already down Antonio Brown, and Prescott is far from a sure thing to suit up Sunday night. That would be a big blow to Amari Cooper as well. Now Ekeler has suffered an injury in practice and is questionable. Meanwhile, almost all my match-ups have green lights this week. That Voodoo 101 class I took online seems to be paying off at the moment.

The trick is not minding
Heh, speaking of trades…I had made an offer to TONGO for Gronk, the week he was hurt. Thankfully, he declined, but had he taken the deal? Ouch.

I was just about to make a trade inquiry to Empire for Hunt, to get an idea what he would consider for him. I didn’t make the offer at the time, because I wasn’t sure if a deal could be made considering he had lost Montgomery, and was hurting on RB depth. That same week, Hunt went down, and went to the IR. Glad I didn’t make the offer.

The one trade I did make is working out for me so far, so I’m happy about that.

Was actively rooting against my fantasy teams success last night. 1st and goal and all I wanted to see was four runs from the guy sitting on my bench.

That TNF game was not a total disaster for me! With Davante Adams and a couple of the other Packers wideouts on the COVID list I picked up Randall Cobb from the waiver wire. He promptly caught two touchdowns and was targeted for a third. He garnered 15.00 fantasy points, well over his paltry 10.38 projection. But he did not have the kind of monster night that Adams is capable of. Cobb only got 15 yards, total, on three catches, including those two short TDs. Adams would have had eight or ten catches and a hundred more yards, plus he would have found a way to get that third TD. But, all in all, a very pleasant result from an emergency start.

Additionally Chase Edmonds, who had not scored a TD all year, actually got one! 69 combined yards to go with it. James Conner did his usual red zone steals from Chase the rest of the game, adding two TDs for himself, but at least Edmonds got one. Finally! Geesh. His 14.40 points aren't epic, but he did make double digits thanks to the 6 for the score.

I have two players already above their projections...and am still only 32% chance to win. Welcome to my nightmare.

The trick is not minding
Yeah, I can only imagine how maddening it is to watch Connor steal those end zone touches.
I got 20 points from Jones, which is a great start. I usually hope for anywhere from 15-20 points from certain players, so this was a pleasant result.
Still plenty that could go wrong for me though. Good luck Holden!

The volume of injuries and out for the years are absolutely staggering this season. That being said it does take the pressure off and allows me to throw darts and see if they stick to the board. Sometimes that's fun. Sometimes it isn't. Looks like I dodged a massive bullet from Nuk this week. When I saw 2 catches for 66 yards I just assumed he was on his way to a big game. Got lucky and he stayed right there. Inconceivable!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Not in this league but been pretty good throwing darts this year. 6-1 in a league where 3 of my first 4 picks have missed time

The trick is not minding
Yeah, Hopkins suffered an injury after that first big catch that should have been a TD had he not grabbed the defenders face mask. Didn’t even need to do that.
I’m sure Yoda is keeping an eye on his updates, but that was very fortuitous for you, PW.