Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Here’s looking at you, kid.
In the book, Mapes still makes this mistake. It is only when Jessia points out that she sheathed her blade unblooded that Mapes begs her to take her life, but they manage to move past the mistake. In this case, in this version, she does not call out Mapes. But this is mistake that the housekeeper makes in the original as well.

They do move past it, but she does cut her and she comments that her blood clots faster than a normal human, probably an adaptation to not lose blood like water, or it’s just how much spice they breathe in. (Of course the cut is after they sheath it)

So the largest thing they left out is the Barons nephews, he wasn’t in the new movie at all

Feyd Rautha

Well, we get one nephew, right? The Beast Rabban is Bautista.

WARNING: "Know that which is hidden at your own risk, seeker of truths" spoilers below
It is interesting to note that Drax (Bautista) hates Thanos (Brolin) for killing his family in the Marvel Universe. In the Dune universe Halleck (Brolin) hates Rabban (Bautista) for murdering his sister.

The story itself is not nearly as complicated as I thought it was going to be.

They simplified the story a bit and slowed down the plot, which helps a lot.

Things left out...

WARNING: "It is by will alone that I read the spoilers of Sapho" spoilers below
The Spacing Guild. Guild navigators and their plotting and scheming. the cost of space travel is briefly mentioned, but we don't really "see" the centrality of spice to the Spacing Guild.

Feyd Rautha (cousin to the Baron)

Irulan (daughter of the Emperor and Bene Gesserit adept)

Emperor Shaddam IV

Esmar Tuek and Staban Tuek

The Count and Lady Fenring

We also don't know anything yet of the Bene Tleilax who are party to plans-within-plans.

A system of cells interlinked
So the largest thing they left out is the Barons nephews, he wasn’t in the new movie at all

Feyd Rautha
He's coming. Denis said the second film will focus quite a bit more on the Harkonnens, so I presume Feyd will play a fairly large role in that film.

He's coming. Denis said the second film will focus quite a bit more on the Harkonnens, so I presume Feyd will play a fairly large role in that film.
Do you, or anyone know, if there's been any two part films released before like is being done with Dune?

I know the LotR is considered 1,2,3 but each seemed to be a complete story that wrapped at the end of the movie.

Do you, or anyone know, if there's been any two part films released before like is being done with Dune?

I know the LotR is considered 1,2,3 but each seemed to be a complete story that wrapped at the end of the movie.
Mockingjay - Part of a larger three book series, but the last book/story arc was split into 2 films.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2. Again, part of a multi-book series, but the last two films cover a single story/book.

I recall thinking the "To be continued" at the end of The Matrix Reloaded felt a lot like this one, as well, but appeared at the end of a film that wasn't anywhere near as good.

Mockingjay - Part of a larger three book series, but the last book/story arc was split into 2 films.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2. Again, part of a multi-book series, but the last two films cover a single story/book.

I recall thinking the "To be continued" at the end of The Matrix Reloaded felt a lot like this one, as well, but appeared at the end of a film that wasn't anywhere near as good.
Thanks, I'd not heard of Mockingjay and the Harry Potter one. I wonder if their part 2 movies made enough money to warrant doing that?

I'm also wondering if doing Dune as a 2 part will make more money than it cost? Or be a risky move?

I image everyone who seen and liked it will also see part 2, making for a built in audience. I seen Dune a few days ago and thought it OK, but I have no intention of watching it again and yet I probably will see the second part just to see how the ending is handled.

Thanks, I'd not heard of Mockingjay and the Harry Potter one. I wonder if their part 2 movies made enough money to warrant doing that?

I'm also wondering if doing Dune as a 2 part will make more money than it cost? Or be a risky move?

I image everyone who seen and liked it will also see part 2, making for a built in audience. I seen Dune a few days ago and thought it OK, but I have no intention of watching it again and yet I probably will see the second part just to see how the ending is handled.
I think there is an argument with Potter that there was enough material and ground to cover to warrant two films. Mockingjay was a cash grab, full stop.

On your last point, I think some may not have taken the plunge with the uncertainty of the send film being made, who may now go ahead and buy a ticket.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
In a weird way, I was sort of on the fence in even seeing this knowing the odds were against a second movie. I figured it wouldn't happen, so I was scared of being left hanging for a resolution the way I was with HBO's Carnivàle. I am relieved, to say the least, that there will be closure.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

In a weird way, I was sort of on the fence in even seeing this knowing the odds were against a second movie. I figured it wouldn't happen, so I was scared of being left hanging for a resolution the way I was with HBO's Carnivàle. I am relieved, to say the least, that there will be closure.
I didn't even know it was a 2 part movie until the film was getting nearer the end and I thought, 'there's not much time for all the rest of the story!'

They most have filmed the entire story while they had the sets up and the actors available? I think that's how it would be done.

I didn't even know it was a 2 part movie until the film was getting nearer the end and I thought, 'there's not much time for all the rest of the story!'

They most have filmed the entire story while they had the sets up and the actors available? I think that's how it would be done.
One would hope!

I think I got wind that it's only part of the story early October, give or take. it wasn't long ago. I nearly had a panic attack thinking Part II would never get the green light and my hopes in waiting for this movie to release started to crumble.

One would hope!

I think I got wind that it's only part of the story early October, give or take. it wasn't long ago. I nearly had a panic attack thinking Part II would never get the green light and my hopes in waiting for this movie to release started to crumble.
So what did you think of Part 1?

And correct me if I'm wrong but I think you've said you're a fan of Lynch's Dune?

One would hope!

It came up in the thread a few months ago, which had me doubting I would even see it, but I got over that eventually!

So what did you think of Part 1?

And correct me if I'm wrong but I think you've said you're a fan of Lynch's Dune?
I AM a fan! My father is not. *cough and points to other posts in other threads*

Lynch's Dune is currently sitting as my #4 most favorited movie ever. The constant internal monologues may have something to do with that, as that's how my thoughts are always clunking around up there (I wonder if anyone has noticed it based on my tangential writing style...).

As to Villeneuve's Dune, well I'm still wrapping my head around it. I think it is gorgeous. I think the "Dune" of it may be a bit too thin and the current story, as it stands on its own without Part II to offer a balance (assuming it offers a balance), may have been scrubbed too much for the sake of a larger audience appeal or sheer *scale of production. That could be a response to Blade Runner 2049's reception (a whole other conversation, there), and/or it could be that Part II was intended to pull more depth into play after audiences have properly been introduced to the characters as was done with Part I. If this was because it's just too difficult to cram so much info onto the big screen, I'm hesitant to agree.

*While Lynch's Dune isn't perfect, it does manage to provide quite a bit of world building and, more importantly to me, character context and motivation within its run time of just one film where Villeneuve may or may not accomplish something similar within two.

I admit Lynch's Dune is dense. Too dense for its own good and general audiences' viewing pleasure. I would have hoped for something in between the two, personally. As dense as the '84 film is, I can re-watch it at any time. At the moment, I'm not sure I could say the same for this release for how thin it feels, relative to Dune '84. I have a second viewing coming up either this weekend or the next. I'll know then, I think.

For now, it sits well behind Arrival (note: not The Arrival ) and Blade Runner 2049 for me. Both sit behind Blade Runner, sitting some distance still after Galaxy Quest (). For more context, I do not think I enjoyed Arrival until a second viewing. Here's hoping that to be the case again.

WARNING: "Spoilers if you know nothing of Dune" spoilers below
I had read that there was a design for the Guild Navigator but Villeneuve had already decided against including this in Part I. It seems to be an intended part of Part II though, so hopefully that will resolve a few of the issues I have.

I AM a fan! My father is not. *cough and points to other posts in other threads*

Lynch's Dune is currently sitting as my #4 most favorited movie ever. The constant internal monologues may have something to do with that, as that's how my thoughts are always clunking around up there (I wonder if anyone has noticed it based on my tangential writing style...)...
I always have a constant monologue going, sort of a self narration...too hard to explain

So yes, I see you're a big fan of Lynch's Dune! I watched Lynch's Dune right after Dune (2021). It felt like visiting an old friend. I do think Lynch's set designs and wardrobe was superior to Dune (2021) in fact I can hardly recall what they looked like now....To me it felt like Lynch took the time to show us the sets, which then made the Dune world seem realer.

I've always liked internal monologues in movies, even in the original Blade Runner theatrical release. But the other night when I rewatched Dune (1984) some of the internal monologue was distracting and I don't think all of it was needed. Some of it worked well, but at other times I found myself not liking it. I still really like Lynch's Dune...even the weirding modules!

I always have a constant monologue going, sort of a self narration...too hard to explain

So yes, I see you're a big fan of Lynch's Dune! I watched Lynch's Dune right after Dune (2021). It felt like visiting an old friend. I do think Lynch's set designs and wardrobe was superior to Dune (2021) in fact I can hardly recall what they looked like now....To me it felt like Lynch took the time to show us the sets, which then made the Dune world seem realer.

I've always liked internal monologues in movies, even in the original Blade Runner theatrical release. But the other night when I rewatched Dune (1984) some of the internal monologue was distracting and I don't think all of it was needed. Some of it worked well, but at other times I found myself not liking it. I still really like Lynch's Dune...even the weirding modules!

Yes. Somewhere between the two. Lynch provided a lot of information in the monologues though I agree that they were distracting at times.

I forgot about the modules. Le sigh. Seds? Add that to my list

Yes. Somewhere between the two. Lynch provided a lot of information in the monologues though I agree that they were distracting at times.

I forgot about the modules. Le sigh. Seds? Add that to my list
Strictly from a movie story telling aspect the modules worked (at least for me). Buy yeah not in the book!

That's too bad. I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead, though, were they really expecting he'd easily take all of their barking orders?

What is really crazy is that he was being considered for Star Wars. Imagine RotJ directed by David Lynch.

SILENCIO! I am cowboy. I am here to make sure you will bring balance to the force. You will see me three more times in your dreams if you act appropriately. Two more times if you don't. Come, let us drink wine from Chewbacca's skull as C-3PO talks backwards.

Genuvenue is one of the most renowned Event Planners in Alberta. For those who are planning event and want to know about the best places for event planners in Alberta.
It's "Villeneuve"