John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

Gosford Park 2001 Robert Altman (Remastered)

2h 11min | Comedy | Drama | Mystery
Writers: Julian Fellowes, Robert Altman
Cast: Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Camilla Rutherford, Charles Dance, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, James Wilby, Claudie Blakley, Laurence Fox, Trent Ford, Ryan Phillippe, Stephen Fry, Ron Webster, Kelly Macdonald, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Emily Watson, Derek Jacobi, Richard E. Grant
+
y it says remastered? is there another movie of it?

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? 2000 Joel Coen (REWATCH)

1h 47min | Adventure | Comedy | Crime | Music
Writers: Homer, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Cast: George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake, Nelson Chris, Thomas King, John Goodman, Holly Hunter

+

I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow

No, 'Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to improving the quality of the sound or the picture, or both, of previously made recordings, whether audiophonic, cinematic or videographic.'
ohhhh okay thought so. did they do the 4k?

STARDUST 2007 Matthew Vaughn

2h 7min | Adventure | Family | Fantasy | Romance
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn, Neil Gaiman
Cast: Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, Mark Strong, Ian McKellen, Peter O'Toole, Rupert Everett, Kate Magowan, Henry Cavill

Yeah great cast and great directing by Altman. Ballot worthy "Whodunnit?".

DUNE 2021 Denis Villeneuve

2h 35min | Action | Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
Writers: Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista

Contains familiar elements from A New Hope and The Fellowship of the Ring which is a good thing but takes away a bit from originality and creativity. The scientific advancements, the evolution of language/communication and worldbuilding are good. Overall a great sci-fi blockbuster that ticks all the boxes but is not as groundbreaking as it's predecessors.

+

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista

Contains familiar elements from A New Hope and The Fellowship of the Ring which is a good thing but takes away a bit from originality and creativity. The scientific advancements, the evolution of language/communication and worldbuilding are good. Overall a great sci-fi blockbuster that ticks all the boxes but is not as groundbreaking as it's predecessors.

+
loved this movie

+
What is the evolution of language/communication you are referring to? I thought, unoriginal though that is, that the fact they could communicate with “common” Fremen just like that was a tad unrealistic.

Obviously, they’re not speaking “English” but whatever they are speaking, why would they all understand each other? The telepathy/all-knowingness trope that allows Jessica & Paul to speak all languages feels a tiny bit like a cop out. Then again, I could never get through the book and find myself much preferring this one to the Lynch version (damn!), so I guess I can’t talk.

Anyway, this one’ll take all 10 million rewatches.

What is the evolution of language/communication you are referring to? I thought, unoriginal though that is, that the fact they could communicate with “common” Fremen just like that was a tad unrealistic.

Obviously, they’re not speaking “English” but whatever they are speaking, why would they all understand each other? The telepathy/all-knowingness trope that allows Jessica & Paul to speak all languages feels a tiny bit like a cop out. Then again, I could never get through the book and find myself much preferring this one to the Lynch version (damn!), so I guess I can’t talk.
It's the year 10,191 who knows what the educational system is like irt communication. Also he's the son of a duke and heir to, so even more specialized education for him. His mother was quite obsessed with the ancient 'prophecy' and the Fremen are a big part of it so naturally she could speak a couple of sentences.

It's the year 10,191 who knows what the educational system is like irt communication. Also he's the son of a duke and heir to, so even more specialized education for him. His mother was quite obsessed with the ancient 'prophecy' and the Fremen are a big part of it so naturally she could speak a couple of sentences.
Yeah, sure, I don’t think it’s a shortcoming in any sense. But was just thinking of Arrival and Villeneuve’s view of language there appears far more complex. But yeah, you’re right. A couple of sentences isn’t the same as proficiency, though.

Yeah, sure, I don’t think it’s a shortcoming in any sense. But was just thinking of Arrival and Villeneuve’s view of language there appears far more complex. But yeah, you’re right. A couple of sentences isn’t the same as proficiency, though.
Maybe I'm the one who needs a rewatch already I only remember her speaking ancient Fremen in that one scene with the knife and the new housemaid.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
To give you a comparison, it's not as good as The Natural but better than Eight Men Out imo. TV movie so a bit smaller production scale but the directing, story and performances more than make up for that. I predict you'll like/love this one, enjoy!

Thanks for the info. The Natural is one of my favorite baseball movies, so I'm not surprised that 61* would rank below it. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Gosford Park 2001 Robert Altman (Remastered)

2h 11min | Comedy | Drama | Mystery
Writers: Julian Fellowes, Robert Altman
Cast: Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Camilla Rutherford, Charles Dance, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, James Wilby, Claudie Blakley, Laurence Fox, Trent Ford, Ryan Phillippe, Stephen Fry, Ron Webster, Kelly Macdonald, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Emily Watson, Derek Jacobi, Richard E. Grant
+

I watched Gosford Park a few days ago, and it's a good movie, but I expected it to be better based on the reviews I'd read.

DOWNTOWN ’81 2000 Edo Bertoglio

1h 12min | Comedy | Drama | Musical
Writer: Glenn O'Brien
Cast: Jean-Michel Basquiat, Saul Williams, Anna Shroeder, Debbie Harry, Coati Mundi, Debi Mazar, George Quinones, Fab 5 Freddy, Arto Lindsay, Vincent Gallo

Raw Arthouse film released in the 2000's shot between 1980-1981. Follows a day in the life of painter, musician, philosopher aka as the '80's Picasso'; Jean Michel Basquiat. Arthouse rating: ★★★½

61* 2001 Billy Crystal

2h 9min | Biography | Drama | History | Sport
Writer: Hank Steinberg
Cast: Barry Pepper, Thomas Jane, Bruce McGill

To give you a comparison, it's not as good as The Natural but better than Eight Men Out imo. TV movie so a bit smaller production scale but the directing, story and performances more than make up for that. I predict you'll like/love this one, enjoy!

I watched 61* today and it was great. I had heard about how people hated Maris and didn't want him to break the record, but that was heartbreaking to watch. He didn't deserve to be treated that way.

STARDUST 2007 Matthew Vaughn

2h 7min | Adventure | Family | Fantasy | Romance
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn, Neil Gaiman
Cast: Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, Mark Strong, Ian McKellen, Peter O'Toole, Rupert Everett, Kate Magowan, Henry Cavill

I watched Stardust yesterday, and I didn't read anything about it before watching it, so it was not what I was expecting. Overall, I loved the romance part of the movie, but the rest of the movie was very strange, but interesting and fun. I didn't like some of the things they did with the animals, but fortunately they didn't show much of it on screen, so I was able to get past it and enjoy the movie.

And Charlie Cox has a smile that just lights up the screen!

I watched Stardust yesterday, and I didn't read anything about it before watching it, so it was not what I was expecting. Overall, I loved the romance part of the movie, but the rest of the movie was very strange, but interesting and fun. I didn't like some of the things they did with the animals, but fortunately they didn't show much of it on screen, so I was able to get past it and enjoy the movie.

And Charlie Cox has a smile that just lights up the screen!

oh my ur right i love his smile