Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Mother Love Bone?

Yes. To fill up pandemic downtime I've just been picking up song fragments since I now have access to an out of tune piano. Out of the dozen or so I've committed to memory, Chloe Dancer easily the easiest. So easy, I was able to recite it over and over again in my head as I watched the boredom that is the Mummy.

Seriously, three minutes of bandages mummy? Rest of movie of hat mummy? What a gyp.

Uh, did they just blatantly steal the face from Pink Floyd's The Wall to make this poster?

So much so it took me forever to find a poster because my brain just kept registering it as The Wall and I kept moving past.

Beserker is a endearingly stupid movie. But bad on pretty much every level. Recommended only to those who can subsist entirely on the embarrassment that was 80s culture.

I watched the boredom that is the Mummy.

Seriously, three minutes of bandages mummy? Rest of movie of hat mummy? What a gyp.
Yes, the sad fact of the Universal series is that if it's reanimated mummy footage you crave, you're forced to seek out the sequels which are all B-grade at best. (I love 'em but can't recommend them as "good" movies.)

One fun game to play is to watch all 5 back-to-back and try to figure out what year it's supposed to be. Each sequel takes place like 20 years after the previous film, so by movie #5 we should be well into the 1990s or something, but everyone's still wearing fedoras and driving Packards.

Yes, the sad fact of the Universal series is that if it's reanimated mummy footage you crave, you're forced to seek out the sequels which are all B-grade at best. (I love 'em but can't recommend them as "good" movies.)

One fun game to play is to watch all 5 back-to-back and try to figure out what year it's supposed to be. Each sequel takes place like 20 years after the previous film, so by movie #5 we should be well into the 1990s or something, but everyone's still wearing fedoras and driving Packards.

When I realized Karloff was out of make up within the first ten minutes, I kept trying to figure out what could get him back in the bandages.

Maybe he returns to his mummified state at night!

Maybe they undo the curse and by the end of the film he has once again become something of interest!

But, nope. Hat Mummy all the way, apparently.

Technically the movie is relatively well made. But even the way stagier Lugosi Dracula, seems to understand the value of spending some time on generating atmosphere. Instead, Freund seems to think giving us the vibe of a second rate noir should be enough. It isn't.

When I realized Karloff was out of make up within the first ten minutes, I kept trying to figure out what could get him back in the bandages.

Maybe he returns to his mummified state at night!

Maybe they undo the curse and by the end of the film he has once again become something of interest!

But, nope. Hat Mummy all the way, apparently.

Technically the movie is relatively well made. But even the way stagier Lugosi Dracula, seems to understand the value of spending some time on generating atmosphere. Instead, Freund seems to think giving us the vibe of a second rate noir should be enough. It isn't.
That's what I tried to tell Takoma the other day but she stubbornly insists on enjoying the film.

That's what I tried to tell Takoma the other day but she stubbornly insists on enjoying the film.
Yeah, yeah. The first 10 minutes of The Mummy was more involving than anything in Dracula. Fight me, bro.

Also!

You people know music. Please help me as I describe in the most vague way a song I heard on the radio that is now driving me crazy. This song would be from the 70s or 80s. Popular enough that it was played on a station that plays "Greatest of All Time" music. What stood out to me was that there was a "loop"--the same short guitar riff (and maybe percussion?) played the whole song. There was a short phrase that seemed to make up most of the song (something like "and I don't mind"). What is this song, and why is it both stuck in my head and yet at the same time I can't say a single lyric or hum the melody to save my life?

Funny how your description of the song makes total sense now that I know the answer. And yet that song never once occurred to me.
I am also shocked that my description was at all accurate, because usually when I try to describe a song I get an absurd number of details incorrect.

Not quite lobotomized in a way I approve of. Maybe its the reek of all that weak cleverness. Leave the unfunny jokes for Doom Asylum and just keep to the sleepwalking, Blood Theatre. All you needed to do was refuse to acknowledge the need for any suspense or excitement during your murder scenes, and maybe you could have annoyed me right in the sweet spot.

Moody story of a Faustian bargain and a cursed hand. Familiar stuff, but it delivers the atmosphere.

A Carpenter film for those who want characters to bog conversations down in somewhat interesting philosophical twaddle, amidst sludgy Fulci aspirations. Count me in!

Cats, revenge, ghosts and neck trauma. A classy affair.

Exists in the tenuous crosshairs where 80's aerobic videos and fist fights co-exist.

The only slasher I can think of that would probably be just as good if it had no murders in it.

Sixth time is a charm. Finally watched all of this without dying or falling asleep. I don't remember much. I was randomly googling streets I walked down when I was a kid.

Regardless, I liked it. Not so much the first hour.

Exists in the tenuous crosshairs where 80's aerobic videos and fist fights co-exist.
Also, Death Spa.

I have yet to see Boogyman II. I hear it has less Suzanna Love in it :[