Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

213. Hellraiser (1987) DVD rewatch
Quite stunning visuals in this 80s horror. I’ve only seen the first 3 movies and have no interest in going any further. Just like Texas Chainsaw, the original is by far the most satisfying. They just don’t make them like they used to. Hard to believe that this was Clive Barker’s directorial debut.

214. The Haunting (1963) DVD rewatch
This film uses light, dark and distorted camera angles to great effect. A psychological horror where you see absolutely nothing and a great class in invisible terror. Even by the end of the movie the house is still a complete mystery with a lot left unexplained which I like.
There is a slow build up to the 20 minute finale and there is a lot of banter between the characters but it’s well worth the wait.

215. Night of the Living Dead (1968) DVD rewatch
A game changer in its day, this shaped the modern horror that we know and love. There’s not much to say about this which hasn’t already been said before. Classic horror which has spawned so many imitations.

216. Ju-On Grudge 2 (2003) DVD rewatch
The timeline jumps all over the place so lots of concentration is needed to follow the plot. But that being said the Japanese certainly know how to construct creepy imagery as there is an abundance of this throughout with the finale being a shocker. This sequel takes a completely different path storyline wise to the American sequel.

217. The Burning (1981) DVD rewatch
One of my favourite Slasher films from the 80s and great effects from the master of gore Tom Savini. The raft scene alone will have horror fans in awe and with many inventive kills it doesn’t tire in the horror department. This was on the notorious uk banned “video nasty list” and deemed unsuitable for public viewing in the 80s. Strange how times change and the norm is much more extreme now.

220. Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers (1988) DVD rewatch and new purchase
There’s a nice atmospheric opening and noteworthy scenes have to be the Myers face to face with Dr Loomis at the garage and the rooftop chase.The first Myers film without Jamie Lee Curtis where I believe she was missed, but I understand the film makers wanted to expand on the story. By far the best of the “Thorn Trilogy.”

224. The Kid (2019) DVD first watch
I don’t usually find modern westerns particularly gripping but this had it’s moments between banter. I knew nothing of this before viewing but it happily jogs along to the finale where as to be expected there’s a dramatic shoot out.

225. House on Haunted Hill (1959) DVD rewatch
Almost more of a murder mystery than horror, this is pretty ridiculous but (slightly) fun at the same time. The usual campiness you’d expect from a Vincent Price film but I’ve seen him in more satisfying roles.

226. The Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) DVD rewatch
This film was remade 20 years later as the better known House of Wax. Great effects for its time with a nicely executed reveal and twist ending.

231. Le Mans ‘66 (2019) DVD first watch
I watched this thinking that it wouldn’t amount to much. How wrong I was. I have no interest in car racing but I actually thought this was fantastic. Bale was his usual versatile self.