Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I finally have been able to dip my toes into Hammer Horror, as I’ve been meaning to for quite some time now.
Watched Horror of Dracula and The Gorgon. Both good. Especially the former.
Countess Dracula and Vampire Circus are on tap next.

Victim of The Night

THE MUMMY (1959)

Not my first time watching this one of course, so not much to say. If you're in the market for a Hammer film, this is one of the good ones. Peter Cushing doing his usual solid job, excellent creature design, beautiful sets beautifully filmed, and Christopher Lee showing a range of emotions with only his eyes.

Also a horrific tongue-removal that happens offscreen but we still see enough to curl my toes.
I've always dug this, it is definitely on my short-list of Mummy movies.

I finally have been able to dip my toes into Hammer Horror, as I’ve been meaning to for quite some time now.
Watched Horror of Dracula and The Gorgon. Both good. Especially the former.
Countess Dracula and Vampire Circus are on tap next.
All good ones! I've only seen the Gorgon once a hundred years ago, but it's included in a Hammer collection I recently purchased so maybe I'll prioritize that one.

Podcast-wise, I'll mention I've started looking for old time radio horror podcasts and found The Horror! (Old Time Radio) from Relic Radio.

Victim of The Night
Podcast-wise, I'll mention I've started looking for old time radio horror podcasts and found The Horror! (Old Time Radio) from Relic Radio.
How is it?

Victim of The Night
My older cousin had that album AND a black light. He was my favorite cousin.
He should have been.
My grandparents actually had it and I would just sit and listen to the whole thing. In like the middle of May.

It's re-airing old time radio programs, so it varies based on the program chosen. I liked The Man in Black from over a week ago. I'm completely blanking on how the most recent one ended (in death, presumably), but the most recent one was a Lights Out! episode, and if nothing else, I'll enjoy the tagline(?) "It. is. later. than. you. think."

They do edit out the old commercials, which after listening to an archived mp3 file of a show somewhere, I am grateful for. I don't need to hear Carey Grant advertising for auto-parts.

I don't need to hear Carey Grant advertising for auto-parts.
I think I kinda do.

I love stuff like this though, looking through old newspapers from the fourties and seeing ads for washing machines for 4 dollars. Great stuff.

I think I kinda do.

I love stuff like this though, looking through old newspapers from the fourties and seeing ads for washing machines for 4 dollars. Great stuff.

In the middle of a radio program, I care for it about as much as I do getting ads in the middle of a movie.

Victim of The Night

Here is a movie I have not watched in many years but was kind of a favorite when I was, what, 13-15 years old. I revisited it as an adult and I remember thinking it wasn't bad but kinda came up short. I decided, just randomly, to revisit again the other night. Mostly I enjoyed it but it has a few shortcomings.
How would I describe this movie?
Well, plot-wise, it's the story of a famous author whose aunt unexpectedly commits suicide and leaves him, her favorite nephew, her house. Which she steadfastly believed was haunted. He is recently divorced and still reeling from the event that destroyed his marriage, the disappearance of their son. He still has traumatic memories from his time in Vietnam and he decides to move into the house and try to write them out as his next book.
It starts out with a nice opening scare that caught me off guard and put me in a charitable mood. I definitely dug that and it made me say to myself, "I’m planning to be generous to this movie." Which is a great place to watch a movie from. Acknowledge the bad but enjoy the good and let things slide you don't have to get in a twist over.
And, fortunately, this movie really has a sense of humor. And I don’t mean like it’s funny like a comedy, I mean the movie has a sense of humor. Not just about itself, which is also true, but in general.
I would say that it's little bit like if Killer Klowns From Outer Space met Evil Dead 2.
And this becomes more apparent when Roger has his first encounter with the House...

There were a number of things I liked about the film. It had a sense of humor, for sure, but it also actually made me feel something with the disappearance of the child. And then it got a little edgy too, for a light goof of a film, in a little bit of that Evil Dead way. And then George Wendt, Norm from Cheers, comes in right on time to add something. Which he did.
“Don’t worry about anything, I guess. I’ll just be sure to give you a call if something bad happens.”
Susan French, in her brief role as Aunt Elizabeth, was almost too good for this movie. She certainly acting as if she was in a much more serious film. Or she was just "game" as they say. I particularly enjoyed when her ghost tells the protagonist, “The House tricked me Roger. I didn’t think it could but it did. It’ll trick you too.”
The pacing of this movie is actually pretty good as well. Things happen on frequent enough beats to make you feel like you keep moving and you’re never bogged down, whether you think the movie is any good or not. And even when it delves too far into silliness it seems to find a way to recover.

There’s also this interesting game going on in the background, which you know is not remotely gonna be the outcome but they still play on it a bit, which is that the House may not be haunted, this whole thing could just be this Vietnam vet whose son was kidnapped finally losing his mind.
And then he ****ing shoots his ex-wife! Did the House trick him like it tricked Aunt Elizabeth? Or did he just murder the mother of his missing son?
I did get reminded before long though, that the thing I didn’t like about this movie when I re-watched it as an adult was the Vietnam stuff. It really looks bad. Cheaply done, maybe it's supposed to look like a dream or something but they should have done better. And they really focus on it a good bit. I mean, the movie, in its sense of humor, actually has one of the characters say, “Nobody wants to hear about Vietnam anymore”, and then, winkingly proceeds to not take its own advance and has a whole thing about Vietnam. Unfortunately, it probably should have taken its own advice.
While this guy might have looked cool...

His whole part in the story really didn't work and kinda dragged the whole film down.
And the climax is a bit of a letdown, not only because it leans hard into the not-working-so-great Vietnam business, but it kinda confounds whatever explanation for the whole story there might have been and makes for a confusing and unsatisfying end. One wonders if there was a different movie with a more sensible and satisfying ending on the cutting-room floor.
Ultimately, I'm not at all irritated that I spent the slot to watch it, it's definitely worth seeing and has a fun, "we're gonna try to make a little bit more mainstream Evil Dead-type movie" but, honestly, it doesn't fully deliver on the promise that it clearly has.
Now House II... that's another story.

Victim of The Night
Sadly, I could not find a good picture of the movie's poster with the absurd tagline:

Ding dong. You're dead.

I believe I have learned that that tagline was added for the VHS/Beta release:

Which is how I first saw this movie. I plucked it off the Blockbuster wall based entirely on the cover and tagline.

House gets a lot better anytime George Wendt is on screen. Otherwise the movie feels like Evil Dead lite, and Steve Miner is no Sam Raimi.

I'd give it a
probably.

I've always dug this, it is definitely on my short-list of Mummy movies.
Yeah, this one's pretty good. I'm not a fan of the 1932 version.