The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

I watched Woman in the Dunes for the last PR, it was my #1 film.
Yep. Same. Got it on the Foreign PR and it ended up at #1.

movies can be okay...
Just wanted to let everyone know, I'm already finished with watching all the films I have left, so now it's just a matter of scattering my posts on them for the next few days. I'm not sending my list yet because I think I still might re-watch a particular movie.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Just wanted to let everyone know, I'm already finished with watching all the films I have left, so now it's just a matter of scattering my posts on them for the next few days. I'm not sending my list yet because I think I still might re-watch a particular movie.
You should rewatch mine and vote it high!

How Green Was My Valley (1941)
Mrs. Morgan: Where ya goin'?
Mr. Morgan : To get drunk.

This is the story of a family living in a small, Welsh mining village. You have the father, who is kind of a liaison between the coal miners and the mine owners, the mother aka the heart of the family, four older brothers who work in the mines, an older sister who is quite fetching and catches the eyes of many men in the village and finally the the youngest son Huw, who is the first of the family to be able to attend school and is also the stories narrator.

These are tough movies to review as a lot happens but it's not a plot heavy movie. It's more here's a slice of life in a Welsh mining village movie. Everything happens to the family in order, almost like acts in a play. The four sons union issues and fallout, then the daughters story and finally Huw's story, which makes up most of the movie.

The film is filled with conflict and resolution. Sometimes those resolutions aren't very... they can be messy. Sometimes they are fun (boxing lessons anyone?) and it always feels real for the time. A movie like this needs to have solid acting and I thought everyone was great, especially the mother and father.

If there's one thing that bothered me it's that the movie seems to take place over a few years but Huw never ages. It makes the timeline feel a little weird but that's a minor nitpick.

So was it good? I'd say it's a very good movie and one I probably would never have watched had it not been recommended. It gets flack for being one of the weaker BP winners but if it was released in almost any other year I don't know if it would have that rep. I've seen six Ford films so far and I don't know if this cracks his top three for me but that's more a testament to how good his movies are than any slight to How Green Was My Valley.

I've been meaning to watch that one for a while.
I think you'd enjoy it. Honestly, to me the title just always sounded so bland, but it's a pretty powerful look at how communities change over time through the lens of a single family.

I've been out of my mind busy and I'm so exhausted. Moving day is technically Saturday but it'll go on a few days. Then I will have a bit of a break.

Seriously though, I doubt that anyone would complain about a couple of days extra.

Seriously though, I doubt that anyone would complain about a couple of days extra.
How about a month?

I've only watched 1 movie in 2 months now.

I'm happy with the apartment we found though-

https://www.apartments.com/viva-lake...er-ma/0mzsks0/

How about a month?

I've only watched 1 movie in 2 months now.

I'm happy with the apartment we found though-

https://www.apartments.com/viva-lake...er-ma/0mzsks0/
Those Northeast prices give me heartburn just looking at them.